Hermes dispute

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Mazza

Registered Shopper
I read an article in yesterday's paper (just recycled so can't check!) about a potential industrial dispute between Hermes and their couriers who are refusing to work 20 days without a break before Xmas. One of the unions has got involved. I think if you want a day off you have to arrange your own cover.

Whatever, it sounded as if Hermes might be up the creak over the busy Black Thursday, Cyber Monday, build up to Xmas period so we should all be warned!!!!!

Meanwhile I am at home awaiting the fourth YC drop which is with the courier. As were the previous two deliveries which went elsewhere, but that is incompetence not this industrial dispute, LOL.

in london we are getting some of the storm weather: dark skies and lots of wind. good for drying the washing

Been a very blustery afternoon here in South Yorkshire washing dried nicely and leaves blowing everywhere. Hope everyone in Ireland is ok.

Blowing like mad here and earlier today I forgot to close the bedroom and bathroom windows so I ended up having to hoover the bed which was covered in leaves, as was the bathroom. We have a lot of trees in front of the house and also in our back garden and they have been stripped bare by the wind.

Well here in SW London the light was totally yellow! Like mustard. Apparently it was caused by sand whipped in from the Sahara; it looked like toxic gas!

This morning's light was like that here too in North Wales, we are having the strong winds now and it is supposed to end here about midnight. Hope everyone stays safe.

This morning's light was like that here too in North Wales, we are having the strong winds now and it is supposed to end here about midnight. Hope everyone stays safe.

The same in Worcestershire; students at school said the moon was red & that it was the end of the world, they all looked disappointed when I told them it was the sun covered in dusty clouds. How bizarre that they wanted annihilation.

I won't be using Hermes again for deliveries, where I get a choice. Too many bad experiences.

We got dark yellow skies at one point in NW London. Kind of dirty mustard colour. Apparently a mix of Sahara sand and Portuguese fire ash, courtesy of ex-hurricane Ophelia. The sun came out again later, but it looked horrendous. For everyone on the front line in Ireland, be safe.

Here in the south-west of Scotland it has been wild since around 11am and throughout the day getting worse by the minute. I am surrounded by trees, opened the kitchen door because I love the sound they make, sat in the conservatory and I swear it sounded wilder from there - now at after 10pm it is really raging, and as wild as was forecast.

I have to say I feel very cosy inside as I don't mind this kind of weather, so long as serious damage isn't caused.

This weather terrifies me. I hope everyone is safe and warm - especially Donna (doesn't she live in N.I.?).

30 Years ago a whole forest close to us was amazing to drive past as massive trees had been uprooted. I remember huddling in my mum's kitchen which overlooked my house, watching my roof tiles being pulled out by the wind and thrown around - it was as if an invisible child had attached them to a sparkler and was drawing in the air with them.

As a child I remember one awful storm that blew some windows in, resulting in a roof blown off! That and the live downed power lines arcing and dancing on the road makes me very fearful of the wind.

I live further down valley now, so am a bit more sheltered and we have fewer powercuts. I'm so relieved about that bit but still terrified by the wind. I've noticed over the past 20 years since moving here that the winds have become a lot stronger - it's rare we get a calm day summer or winter these days - so I'm very relieved not to be living where I used to as the winds up there were awesome.

Slave labour

I read an article in yesterday's paper (just recycled so can't check!) about a potential industrial dispute between Hermes and their couriers who are refusing to work 20 days without a break before Xmas. One of the unions has got involved. I think if you want a day off you have to arrange your own cover.

Whatever, it sounded as if Hermes might be up the creak over the busy Black Thursday, Cyber Monday, build up to Xmas period so we should all be warned!!!!!

Meanwhile I am at home awaiting the fourth YC drop which is with the courier. As were the previous two deliveries which went elsewhere, but that is incompetence not this industrial dispute, LOL.
I feel sorry for Hermes couriers. No holiday pay, afraid to be off sick. Oh they have to find their own substitutes to cover their round. They pay their own fuel and extra car insurance costs. No pension and all for the measly sum of around 50p per parcel. Touch wood, my experience with their couriers has been positive but my courier told me they were told they had to work every single day up to Xmas and she was worried they would stop giving her any work if she refused. I like my parcels to arrive pronto but I don't want the courier to be forced into slave labour either

thats the issue here. you know things are rock bottom when hermes and mcdonalds staff feel the need to strike. i hope it will lead to better working conditions and wages for these people but somehow i doubt it.
even shop workers had better times. shops opened at a certain time by 5.30 they were closed. sunday no shops were open. people could have a family day.

now its 24 hour shopping. i was in oxford street 5.30 on sunday after a theatre trip. even thats odd theatres open on a sunday, retail staff don't get a break for family time either. its a shame its not the way forward.

Oh dear, I hope people don't think I agree with the way Hermes apparently treat their staff! Sadly reflective of the gig economy IMHO. I just wanted to let people know that things could get dodgy in the run up to Christmas, and you know the way Q always boast about ordering now and still getting it for Christmas..... well that may not be true this year. So allow as much time as possible would be my advice.

Latest posts

Back