Hideous glasses!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
I've been noticing over the past few years that there seems to be a fashion for young ladies to choose the most unflattering prescription glasses. The only way is Essex and its various spin offs (not that I watch them honestly) has spawned the trend for girls wearing 1970's style metal framed teardrop shaped glasses with a double bar at the top, and imo they look horrendous, they take over the girls faces and they just look wrong. At the moment it seems to be the thing to wear Janis Joplin-esque over sized round glasses and I've seen very few girls that suit them. They looked fine on Ms Joplin, but on a gen z female, not so much! They are so damned aging for a start. There are a few examples at in my workplace. One lady has the oversized round ones, she has a round enough face as it is, I thought she was in her mid 40's - turns out she's 21, another incredibly pretty girl insists on wearing huge glasses with a hexagonal metal frame, and seriously one of them wears "Deirdre Barlows"! and yes, they look as wrong as they sound! Glasses can look fine, in fact they can look more than fine, if only people would take the time to try a few pairs on until they find a style that actually suits their face, instead of grabbing what's in fashion and saying these are cool, they'll do!

A few years ago i kept seeing those big round metal rimmed glasses as part of a photoshop thingy (with bunny whiskers) but now they seem to wear the real thing.

Doesn't one of the newbies wear them with her hair up in bunches?

I like funky coloured frames and if I had a straight forward prescription I would have a range to choose from but my special prescription costs so much I can only justify 2 at any one time.

In photos one of the things that will quickly date them are the glasses people wear.
I have worn glasses since my early 20s and have had some horrors in my time. Having reluctantly embraced smaller lenses, I actually found these suited me better than bigger frames, so was more than a little dismayed when the big frames came back with a vengeance.
Fashion should be a suggestion not an order, for specs as well as clothes. To me they should not dominate your face, but that's what's in vogue.
I like a fun colour, and a bit of bling, on my specs but have discovered that some colours are deadly on me.

Fun colour is great, even a bit of bling if that's what you like, but if the actual frame doesn't suit you I just don't get why people insist upon going with it for the sake of being "on trend" . Some people just get it wrong. My ego mate is a case in point, recently needing to wear glasses she opted for an oversized frame with in a dark colour. She is blonde, with a small heart shaped face and rather protruding eyes. She opted for an oversized dark frame, and she looked like some kind of bug! Thankfully she got a bogof deal and the other pair she chose were a transparent/nude smaller frame with a slightly cat eye shape and they really suited her. She asked me which I prefer so I told her, and when she asked why, I simply said "They suit you better"
Seriously though I feel like saying to some of these ladies "Should've gone to Specsavers"!

Fun colour is great, even a bit of bling if that's what you like, but if the actual frame doesn't suit you I just don't get why people insist upon going with it for the sake of being "on trend" . Some people just get it wrong. My ego mate is a case in point, recently needing to wear glasses she opted for an oversized frame with in a dark colour. She is blonde, with a small heart shaped face and rather protruding eyes. She opted for an oversized dark frame, and she looked like some kind of bug! Thankfully she got a bogof deal and the other pair she chose were a transparent/nude smaller frame with a slightly cat eye shape and they really suited her. She asked me which I prefer so I told her, and when she asked why, I simply said "They suit you better"
Seriously though I feel like saying to some of these ladies "Should've gone to Specsavers"!
I had the chance to help a petite friend with protuberant Hanoverian eyes choose glasses. The woman at the optician kept showing her giant "it's on trend" frames which even with plain glass gave her that bug-eyed look. Some styles were food for nightmares! I steered my friend in a different direction, but only because she asked for my help choosing frames.

The one type of glasses I really don’t like are the cats eyes frames as they always remind me of Dame Edna.

If you watch the new Eggheads Lisa has had her very dark thick hair cut into a chopped pixi (really suits her) but she has gone for massive thick dark frames which dominates her whole face. She has different ones but all on the same theme. I wonder if she is doing an ad for an optician brand.

Because I used to work face to face, now do the same over the phone, I always went for rimless. Can't break the habit now.

Latest posts

Back