Hoarding blamed on QVC

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I'm claustropobic & watching these programmes makes me really uncomfortable. We all have 'stuff' & there's a degree of sentimentality in everyone. However, it's those of us who live in richer nations that surround ourselves with possessions & it doesn't mean we're happy. The people whose homes have become safety hazards must have additional mental health issues, what difficult lives they endure.

It is actually an illness, a lot of these people have deep seated issues.

my niece by marriage is a Qvc hoarder she had the L'Occitane hand cream on auto delivery for many years, yankee candles in their hundreds etc etc etc

I used to hide the boxes - even from myself! It's not really apparent that I hoard until you open cupboards/drawers/the loft hatch . . . . I no longer have the money to spend that I used to but it's still very tempting to buy things off the TV. I'd never go into a shop and spend that much.

CC

I used to hide the boxes - even from myself! It's not really apparent that I hoard until you open cupboards/drawers/the loft hatch . . . . I no longer have the money to spend that I used to but it's still very tempting to buy things off the TV. I'd never go into a shop and spend that much.

CC

That's it in a nutshell if you ask me. Like CC, I have an addiction to Molton Brown, but I always buy it online. Would I go in a shop and spend £40.00 on a couple of bottles of shower gel? No I wouldn't. Not in a million years.

Strato B looks like you've struck a nerve with your thread. Who needs therapy when we have kind and understanding people on here who we all open up to ! Sadly we shall all experience 'loneliness' at some point in our lives, and mostly its being the surviving partner of a long relationship. In another lifetime ago there was always extended family as back up because everyone lived within close proximity, but in this day and age its a different story. Families live far and wide, but no amount of Skype/Whatsapp etc are a substitute for a hug and companionship.

Its a vicious circle of being lonely to start with, then depression sets in so you're not thinking straight, so whats the point of bothering about anything, and then the comforts of alcohol or buying stuff become the prop to get you through the day. This part wasn't my story, but I was in a place where I could see why it would happen to others.

You're all great on here. Thank you. x

social structure is changing fast. people live a lot longer than they used to which is good but it also comes with other issues. How do we care for a growing number of elderly people within our communities, within our families. its complex!

Latest posts

Back