How much ?????

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I bought a cast iron victorian garden set 30 years ago. Its huge and the weight. Managed to sell it took ages and the space its freed up in my tiny garden is welcome. I will wait when the garden stuff gets cheaper just before winter and get a balcony sized set 2 chairs and a tiny coffee table.

This it sounds like sheer bliss where you live. I am so jealous! Italian food is my passion. I bet your veggies taste amazing with all that sunshine, unlike our supermarket tomatoes with almost zero taste ( I'm having a go at growing my own this year but need some sunshine!)
Too hot for me Cashers. Spring and autumn are the best months. The fruit and veg are good, though. What do you like about Italian food? They seem to use tomatoes in everything! And the pasta is like eating baby food. I'm quite a hermit, so I don't eat out, and my own cooking is as British as I can make it. I like pizza if its cooked in a wood oven. Other than that, I skip Italian food even though I live here. A bit strange, that!

I bought a cast iron victorian garden set 30 years ago. Its huge and the weight. Managed to sell it took ages and the space its freed up in my tiny garden is welcome. I will wait when the garden stuff gets cheaper just before winter and get a balcony sized set 2 chairs and a tiny coffee table.
My idea too.

Too hot for me Cashers. Spring and autumn are the best months. The fruit and veg are good, though. What do you like about Italian food? They seem to use tomatoes in everything! And the pasta is like eating baby food. I'm quite a hermit, so I don't eat out, and my own cooking is as British as I can make it. I like pizza if its cooked in a wood oven. Other than that, I skip Italian food even though I live here. A bit strange, that!
We discovered sun dried tomatoes in a market off the Rialto Bridge many years ago so we always have a jar in and the oil is tasty after tomatoes are finished. We have tomatoes in the greenhouse and some more outside. We saved seed from San Marzarno tomatoes we bought in Marks and last year we had a good crop. We grow Roma for making tomato sauce.
Agree with pizza from wood fired ovens.

I’m doing tomatoes for the first time and even though I’m treating them like babies they don’t look that great.

I only have tiny fruits on one out of the four, another has lots of flowers so hopeful, another only has 1 lot of flowers and the fourth not a diddly squat.

I’m doing tomatoes for the first time and even though I’m treating them like babies they don’t look that great.

I only have tiny fruits on one out of the four, another has lots of flowers so hopeful, another only has 1 lot of flowers and the fourth not a diddly squat.
You'll treasure each one.

My only attempt a couple of years ago ended in disaster. I had a bountiful crop of dinky toms, then as they grew they started to turn red - wonderful I thought, THEN, hello ? what,s going on ? they all turned rotten on the vine and they were barely red.

Anyone any ideas ?

My only attempt a couple of years ago ended in disaster. I had a bountiful crop of dinky toms, then as they grew they started to turn red - wonderful I thought, THEN, hello ? what,s going on ? they all turned rotten on the vine and they were barely red.

Anyone any ideas ?
If the rot started at the bottom of the fruit it was probably blossom end rot caused by calcium deficiency due to insufficient watering.

They are thirsty little blighters, but don't like damp leaves. We grow some every year but neither of us like them so they go to family.

I grew parsnips and beetroot for the first time last year. They were lovely just tossed into the air fryer.

Early days yet, keep feeding and watering!😀

griz I just love all the Mediterranean veg! Am trying to cut down on meat. Love pasta, really enjoy watching Gino de Campo (despite the cheesy connotations) find Italian food quite straightforward to cook and not too many ingredients! And I stick fresh basil in anything with a tomato in it! Are you finding prices rising in Italy like here in the uk? Oh and I didn't know about the flying bugs at night. I'm with you on that one🙄!

griz I just love all the Mediterranean veg! Am trying to cut down on meat. Love pasta, really enjoy watching Gino de Campo (despite the cheesy connotations) find Italian food quite straightforward to cook and not too many ingredients! And I stick fresh basil in anything with a tomato in it! Are you finding prices rising in Italy like here in the uk? Oh and I didn't know about the flying bugs at night. I'm with you on that one🙄!
Yes, Cashers, prices on everything have risen. I stay away from meat as well, although I'm not a vegetarian. I agree, basil and tomatoes are a perfect combo. A pizza margarita with fresh mozzarella and bazil is the best, although the price of fresh mozzarella has hit the sky. As for the flying bugs..... I was being nice. They are mosquitoes!! The county spray the area, but it doesn't help much if the weather is humid.

How long have you lived there and what are the Italian people like?

We discovered sun dried tomatoes in a market off the Rialto Bridge many years ago so we always have a jar in and the oil is tasty after tomatoes are finished. We have tomatoes in the greenhouse and some more outside. We saved seed from San Marzarno tomatoes we bought in Marks and last year we had a good crop. We grow Roma for making tomato sauce.
Agree with pizza from wood fired ovens.
What a great idea to save seeds and try to grow plants. I've done it successfully with lemons and limes but for some reason that never occurred to me and I have tried to grow all sorts of tomatoes. 2 years ago I bought plants from a nursery - they were okay, nothing special, not a huge crop and I worked out they cost about 40p each. Not my best buy 😄

This it sounds like sheer bliss where you live. I am so jealous! Italian food is my passion. I bet your veggies taste amazing with all that sunshine, unlike our supermarket tomatoes with almost zero taste ( I'm having a go at growing my own this year but need some sunshine!)
Cashers do you have a Lidl near you? Last year I discovered their "marvellous brand" of tomatoes by chance. They vary in size, somewhere between a cherry and ordinary small tomato. They have been consistently brilliant in their taste right throughout winter - packet says British so I dont know how they do it. I love a good tomato (sad I know 😉) and can eat them like grapes. In the past I've bought no end of "specialty " tomatoes from m+s, waitrose, tesco finest, sainsbury as good as etc and found nothing like these plus they not expensive. Even if I dont want to buy anything else (although I usually do😄) I pop in for them. I dont keep them in the fridge, but "aired" they easily last a week. I'm embarrassed to say if I am buying some for myself and due to see friends and family I buy punnets for them and have converted many. The checkout people probably think I'm an addict and they may be right! Gosh I've surprised myself how enthusiastic I am about a tomato 🍅🍅🤣

How long have you lived there and what are the Italian people like?
I moved here 10 years ago. I came here to live with my sister who died 3 years ago. I find the Italians in this town polite but a bit suspicious of foreigners. Because it's a small town, people tend to be nosey and they gossip! I don't make much of an effort to mix with the locals, I admit. Other people may well have different experiences than mine. It takes an effort to integrate in a society if you are an outsider, and I feel slightly regretful that I don't do this.

Yes, Cashers, prices on everything have risen. I stay away from meat as well, although I'm not a vegetarian. I agree, basil and tomatoes are a perfect combo. A pizza margarita with fresh mozzarella and bazil is the best, although the price of fresh mozzarella has hit the sky. As for the flying bugs..... I was being nice. They are mosquitoes!! The county spray the area, but it doesn't help much if the weather is humid.

Cashers do you have a Lidl near you? Last year I discovered their "marvellous brand" of tomatoes by chance. They vary in size, somewhere between a cherry and ordinary small tomato. They have been consistently brilliant in their taste right throughout winter - packet says British so I dont know how they do it. I love a good tomato (sad I know 😉) and can eat them like grapes. In the past I've bought no end of "specialty " tomatoes from m+s, waitrose, tesco finest, sainsbury as good as etc and found nothing like these plus they not expensive. Even if I dont want to buy anything else (although I usually do😄) I pop in for them. I dont keep them in the fridge, but "aired" they easily last a week. I'm embarrassed to say if I am buying some for myself and due to see friends and family I buy punnets for them and have converted many. The checkout people probably think I'm an addict and they may be right! Gosh I've surprised myself how enthusiastic I am about a tomato 🍅🍅🤣
I love tomatoes too ❤ a punnet sounds good!

I moved here 10 years ago. I came here to live with my sister who died 3 years ago. I find the Italians in this town polite but a bit suspicious of foreigners. Because it's a small town, people tend to be nosey and they gossip! I don't make much of an effort to mix with the locals, I admit. Other people may well have different experiences than mine. It takes an effort to integrate in a society if you are an outsider, and I feel slightly regretful that I don't do this.
Oh bless you Griz, I'm so sorry for your loss. Will you stay in Italy? Do you have friends around you or family members who visit? You're very brave if you are there alone. 😘

Hi Mollie. This is really weird! Only yesterday my friend and I went to a garden centre and not far away was a Lidl! I must admit that I have never shopped in Lidl, always using Aldi which is nearer. Anyway, we popped in and I was really impressed. Such a lovely shop and the veggies looked so fresh! Long of it is, I'm doing my main shop there this coming Sunday morning! And I'm a tomato 🍅 freek too and will certainly look out for their marvellous brand!! Thanks for the tip. Anything else I should look out for anyone?

Oh bless you Griz, I'm so sorry for your loss. Will you stay in Italy? Do you have friends around you or family members who visit? You're very brave if you are there alone. 😘

Hi Mollie. This is really weird! Only yesterday my friend and I went to a garden centre and not far away was a Lidl! I must admit that I have never shopped in Lidl, always using Aldi which is nearer. Anyway, we popped in and I was really impressed. Such a lovely shop and the veggies looked so fresh! Long of it is, I'm doing my main shop there this coming Sunday morning! And I'm a tomato 🍅 freek too and will certainly look out for their marvellous brand!! Thanks for the tip. Anything else I should look out for anyone?
My local Lidl has rows of empty shelves!

No eggs, no longlife milk, virtually no cereals, not even any crisps/doritos etc. About 80% of items on my shopping list are out of stock.

It's been like this for about 2 months. Apparently all the staff at their warehouse have been poached by a new Amazon warehouse nearby, so the food can't be loaded into lorries for distribution.

It is very disconcerting to see the rows of empty shelves and it makes me feel uneasy as it is my nearest shop and I don't have a car.

Gosh that's awful. Can you do an online shop elsewhere. I would stock up on some tins as an insurance policy. Tins never go off and there is hardly anything you can't get in a tin. Fruit, veg, pasta soup, meat, fish, stews.

Hello Cashers. Thank you so much for your kind message. My sister died prematurely and suddenly and it was a complete shock. I had willingly given up everything to come to Italy to live with her, and here I will stay since I have no family or home to return to. I count my blessings, however. My sister left me her house which has a nice garden, suitable for tomatoes, but I grow only flowers! I have enough income to live humbly without worry, so I am better off than so many people in the world who are suffering, especially now in Eastern Europe. You are a very compassionate lady.

Latest posts

Back