How rare is platinum?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

martinjay

Registered Shopper
I'm watching Julia flog the TSV: a Skagen Platinum Plated watch.

She's just said: "I don't know if you realise it, but of all the platinum ever mined, ever, in the history of the world, if they put it all into an Olympic sized swimming pool it would only come up to your ankles. It is a really rare precious metal isn't it?"

Is she correct?

Don't know about her swimming pool comment but it is far rarer than gold and I've always understood that White gold was created as an alternative to platinum to keep up with demand for previous White metal. As far as I know White gold was invented in the early 1900s. So if you have antique jewellery it is always yellow gold and plantinum. I think rose gold has been around longer but some antique pieces have a softer more rose colour rather than being what we know today as rose gold.

Does that help any?? No I thought it might not.

Hmmmm. Paddling in molton platinum? That'll shift the hard skin on your feet!

J xx

She is right, it's 60 times rarer than gold. I've heard the swimming pool comment several times over recent years.

The problem with white gold is you need it replating every few years because it turns a rather unattractive, dull looking hue. Silver is pretty useless as a ring setting because the metal is soft and moulds to the shape of your finger over time. Palladium is the best alternative to platinum as it does not need replating and does not change shape.

It really depends on the size of the swimming pool.

now, if it's only a SMALL one then........you might be drowning in the stuff!

Would Julia have meant BIG or SMALL........... decisions decisions! :grin:

I refer you to what my learned friend said when this post was started - - - "an olympic size pool".

I'm sure Wiki will give you the exact dimensions lol

I like white metals and although I love silver the upkeep can be a bit much. As for white gold I've had pieces for years that have never needed any replating. Maybe time will tell on that. I have platinum pieces but they're all quite old.

Platinum is not nearly as rare as gold, but demand for it is so high across so many applications that it pushes the price sky high. It's brilliant stuff, but as elements go, they are many, many rarer ones, just very few that are so talented.

Platinum is not nearly as rare as gold, but demand for it is so high across so many applications that it pushes the price sky high. It's brilliant stuff, but as elements go, they are many, many rarer ones, just very few that are so talented.

My understanding is that they have currently only found platinum in a couple of countries whereas gold is found all over the world. Is that not correct?

Latest posts

Back