I’m finding it

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Breeze

Registered Shopper
more & more easy to NOT spend any money with QVC recently.
Last month I had to update my credit card with them as it had reached it’s expiry date but so far haven’t spent a penny on it. This from someone who has bought far too much in the past, especially on beauty TSV’s 😳. Most months there’d be two ( or even more) parcels turning up.
But it‘s become either so boring with the same brands selling virtually the same TSVs or too expensive like today’s example.

The odd bit of Eek, odd bits of electronic stuff for Mr L is the sum total of my purchases now and even that is once in a blue moon.
Like others I brought like an Olympic sport up until about 6 years ago and I haven’t changed so it’s all at Q’s door - they just don’t stock anything of interest plus I haven’t forgiven them for the greedy debacle of plants and compost last year .

The odd bit of Eek, odd bits of electronic stuff for Mr L is the sum total of my purchases now and even that is once in a blue moon.
Like others I brought like an Olympic sport up until about 6 years ago and I haven’t changed so it’s all at Q’s door - they just don’t stock anything of interest plus I haven’t forgiven them for the greedy debacle of plants and compost last year .

😂 😂 😂 love it ! that's me too, but this was maybe 10 - 15 years ago particularly when gold rings with gemstones were around the £100 mark. B & W clip on earrings, Dreamkeeper clothing et al.

Isn't this evidence though, that the variety and quality (plus better presenters) were 100 times better than now. QVC have gone from being a convenient department store to being a cheap tat (Alison Conk and Ambitious Breast&Bumberry) market stall.

The only thing I have spent money on for more than six months is on a pair of Moda in Pelle loafers which I love. It is a great brand, but I have also bought from the Moda site.

I have rapidly gone right off selly telly meaning QVC because I never bought from other sites,

Years ago I used to do ALL my Christmas shopping on QVC and I always used to buy the meat parcels as well. Now it's all Dyson, Marla Wynne and Skechers, none of which I am interested in. Q is selling ordinary products at top prices (and top P&P) and I agree where someone on here said they are trying to be the Harrods of shopping telly. If one does a bit of internet search the same goods are available at a much cheaper price.

CC

I rarely watch QVC now and that’s because of the repetitive shows, the prices when you can get the same thing more cheaply elsewhere, the P&P, the time it takes to get a refund, but mainly because of the presenters - 99% of whom get on my nerves.

Oh yes, the gem days when you used to get real stones set in 9ct gold or silver, the silver & gold days, Ralph with his Honora pearls.Those were when I used to spend a lot. Not sorry as I still have & love the things I bought.
But most of the brands I used to like seem to have been dumped though are still to be seen on the American site, some of them anyway.

I don't feel tempted by anything these days. Like others here, I used to spend a lot - Kim & Co, Honora especially as well as Laura Geller. I feel a bit embarrassed about it. I was drawn into the hype. I still have loads of LG makeup and have thrown loads out. All those TSV sets with products I just didn't need.

In the last few years I have cut down drastically on this unnecessary spending. You simply don't need it.

Many of my friends and family have downsized recently and have found that their prized possessions are worth very little and have had to free cycle them. The good news is that they often feel lighter and less burdened once they've let go of so much excessive "stuff".

When my mother died, her clothes - many of which she kept for best - were simply passed on to charity shops. It has been very sobering.

I think we, in the West, have been brainwashed to acquire. Hopefully we are becoming more mindful.

Yes, I'm convinced its an 'age' thing. Even when I'm out 'looking', not shopping, I tend to view things with a "I don't really need new stuff anymore". Like you Crystal I've got enough of everything. Even 10 years ago I was looking at new furniture, clothes, buying yet more costume jewellery, but not now. I'm like my Mum and Dad in old age - settled with what I have. I had a garage clear out a fortnight ago, and offloaded an abundance of Christmas decorations that would never see the light of day in my house again, framed pictures that had almost taken root were gone too. At 73 I don't want to be cluttered anymore, mainly because I haven't got the energy to do a lot of cleaning and clearing up that clutter brings.

I get a new debit card next month. Seems Santander are changing from a Visa to a Mastercard. Anyway it mentioned in the email I got from them to change when it arrives to the online sites I have it registered with. I did go Amazon first, then thought QVC?

I get a new debit card next month. Seems Santander are changing from a Visa to a Mastercard. Anyway it mentioned in the email I got from them to change when it arrives to the online sites I have it registered with. I did go Amazon first, then thought QVC?
I had an email saying I hadn't used mine for ages and if I didn't use it soon they would not renew it.

The only thing I used it for is cash from an ATM, but during Covid I have avoided using cash. Anyway, I had to go out to withdraw some unwanted cash last week. There was no mention of changing from V to M.

Seems this was supposed to start in 2019 the change to Mastercard version but put back.

All shops here still have signs up asking customers to use card payments only.

Well we still need cash, and always will. I had some carpentry work done recently and when I said cash, cheque or card for payment, the tradesman said 'cash' please. I leave my milkman a cheque for payment, I send off cheques to pay my utility bills, and the mechanic who fixes my car. I need cash for my craft stall as little girls always have pocket money. I send my great nieces/nephews cheques in their birthday cards.

I'm not comfortable with online banking. I'm worried in the middle of a transaction my pc will freeze or die, or there is a power cut - then what ? aside from the usual threat from hackers and scammers.

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in a hotel and couldn’t use cash anywhere even in the bar, if I had known this beforehand I definitely would not have booked it, I still like to use notes wherever I go 😊

We have just returned from a 3 night stay in a hotel and couldn’t use cash anywhere even in the bar, if I had known this beforehand I definitely would not have booked it, I still like to use notes wherever I go 😊
A friend is the same. Now she does have a credit and debit cards but prefers for normal everyday shopping for food etc to use cash.

Personally I would be really happy if everybody paid with a card, then I wouldn't have to sit in the office at the end of a long hard day counting money that is probably contaminated with all sorts of nasty stuff, and I'd go home thirty minutes earlier, the shop wouldn't be a target for criminals (We've been hit three times in two years) and we wouldn't be vulnerable to being mugged while taking the money to the bank.

Latest posts

Back