I am vindicated

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I have at least 10 at a quick count in my mind, plus solar powered ones which I keep on the windowsill to charge, so they are always ready for a power cut. Also many which are rechargeable by plugging into a USB socket.

Paying the GPO £8 at the door for themselves, PLUS the duty is almost a scam, but unless you pay, they won't give you the item.
But the £8 is for them clearing it at customs for you. Of course, you can go and do it yourself saving the £8 filling in the correct forms etc, but will still have to pay the duty.

I'm a bit like Strato. I have torches, LED candles and night lights everywhere.

I was brought up in a rural area where we regularly had power cuts so candles, Calor gas heaters and a scuttle full of coal (despite having oil heating) were always at the ready.

We'd also have water cut-offs pretty frequently so we never drained the bath in case it was needed for the loo. My mum did clean it between uses and it wasn't always needed but in certain weather conditions, she'd know when to keep it filled. As kids, we'd all have to share and even as we got older we had a pecking order as the same water would have to be used by us all. No leisurely soaks for us!

I can't get past the 'just in case' mentality I was brought up with so have ended up with all these lighting items. I do use the candles anyway and as my eyesight is pretty poor in low light I bought the night lights that convert to a torch automatically in a power cut and have them plugged in in all the rooms regularly used. I also have some battery-operated lights on a few of the stairs.

I'm pondering a wind-up radio now!

I'm a bit like Strato. I have torches, LED candles and night lights everywhere.

I was brought up in a rural area where we regularly had power cuts so candles, Calor gas heaters and a scuttle full of coal (despite having oil heating) were always at the ready.

We'd also have water cut-offs pretty frequently so we never drained the bath in case it was needed for the loo. My mum did clean it between uses and it wasn't always needed but in certain weather conditions, she'd know when to keep it filled. As kids, we'd all have to share and even as we got older we had a pecking order as the same water would have to be used by us all. No leisurely soaks for us!

I can't get past the 'just in case' mentality I was brought up with so have ended up with all these lighting items. I do use the candles anyway and as my eyesight is pretty poor in low light I bought the night lights that convert to a torch automatically in a power cut and have them plugged in in all the rooms regularly used. I also have some battery-operated lights on a few of the stairs.

I'm pondering a wind-up radio now!
I think that's a good thing & in many ways I'm the same. The students called me Mary Poppins because of the bag I took to work; I just called myself prepared & some of them benefitted from me carrying spare pairs of black tights, a scientific calculator & vom bags..!

Have had 2 power cuts tonight!

Pitch black except that my sperm lamp was on for the PC keyboard, and a permanently plugged in torch in the hall came on automatically as soon as the power went off.

Then I was able to find my Auroglow "ball joint" torch and one of my solar lamps. All these will last for hours. And then of course I can find loads of other torches,

But of course my PC, set-top box, and radios all went off (I was listening to a Paul Temple serial on the radio) and they don't come back on when the power restored.

.... only £8 each (she said).

Then she asked the man if they came with the batteries. "Yes, they do indeed" was the reply.

Only problem is, they DON'T!

So QVC have broken their long-time promise that "if something needs batteries, we supply them". They've said that ever since I started watching over 20 years ago.

Also, she said they were "on AO for w/c 15th, so that's only tomorrow". But they are actually showing as w/c 22nd!

It does look like a very useful gadget though, but I have been waiting for WEEKS so far to get mine.

Last edited:

Then she asked the man if they came with the batteries. "Yes, they do indeed" was the reply.

So QVC have broken their long-time promise that "if something needs batteries, we supply them". They've said that ever since I started watching over 20 years ago.

Also, she said they were "on AO for w/c 15th, so that's only tomorrow". But they are actually showing as w/c 22nd!

It does look like a very useful gadget though, but I have been waiting for WEEKS so far to get mine.
Knuckles Kramer at her professional best; incapable of doing basic maths, knowing what the date is & confirming that she hadn't done her preparation for the hour. Thank goodness she doesn't have a job with any responsibility.

Knuckles Kramer at her professional best; incapable of doing basic maths, knowing what the date is & confirming that she hadn't done her preparation for the hour. Thank goodness she doesn't have a job with any responsibility.
Why does she have to address everyone as ‘my lovely’ and greet them like old friends?

The heading has been deleted, it said £19 for 2 so ...

then it continued (in the message) with "... only £8 each" (she said).

Without the heading, the first sentence is meaningless.

Why does she have to address everyone as ‘my lovely’ and greet them like old friends?
Because she's an unprofessional witch who is trying to look as though she cares so that people don't like her. defo one of the mean girls at school.

QVC have just told me that I can never have too many torches, so my 200 or more are OK after all.

But they have broken a long standing QVC promise.

They have always boasted that if an item needs batteries, they will supply them.

Not so any more!!!!

Each torch needs 4 AAA or AA batteries (and yet again the written description doesn't even bother to tell you). Nor does it bother to list the contents of the tools.

I am getting more and more angry with the amateur and lazy shower running their website.

AND no photo either, the usual "awaiting image" which never appears.

I saw this 👇🏼 and thought of you.

🤭🤦🏼‍♀️😉😊

Don’t encourage him. 😉

Mind you, with his recent purchase of all those hooks he’ll have something to hang it on.

That’s becoming more commonplace with QVC nowadays. All the advanced orders have put me right off them so I now go to Amazon or eBay because 99% of the things on QVC are available there and you don’t have to wait weeks for delivery.

Latest posts

Back