I cannot listen any more to Alison Young!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

backstreetgirl

Registered Shopper
I turned on at 2pm to see Gary Cockerill's range of skincare, I've never watched when he's been on before so I was curious. But Alison was droning on and on, I know she likes to tell us she's a beauty expert but a lot of what she was spouting was nothing to do with beauty tips, just random talk, which mirror you'd use etc etc. And she's got such a high pitched voice too, I had to turn off. I like presenters who let the BAs describe the products more and don't try and take over the conversation, such as Katy Pullinger and Jilly.

I turned on at 2pm to see Gary Cockerill's range of skincare, I've never watched when he's been on before so I was curious. But Alison was droning on and on, I know she likes to tell us she's a beauty expert but a lot of what she was spouting was nothing to do with beauty tips, just random talk, which mirror you'd use etc etc. And she's got such a high pitched voice too, I had to turn off. I like presenters who let the BAs describe the products more and don't try and take over the conversation, such as Katy Pullinger and Jilly.
I totally agree, her voice is grating. She is & has always been full of herself. She is so irrelevant nowadays, I don’t know who listens to her advice, except herself. Don’t forget, she is a qualified beauty expert which she never fails to say on every show.

I totally agree, her voice is grating. She is & has always been full of herself. She is so irrelevant nowadays, I don’t know who listens to her advice, except herself. Don’t forget, she is a qualified beauty expert which she never fails to say on every show.
Yes, grating is the word I was looking for. Oh I didn't know she was a qualified beauty expert, she should have said. :sneaky:

Grating good description, but I said a very long time ago 1996 that this business of “qualified beauty expert” and similar descriptions to me has always meant she was in the right place at the right time. She was only in her 20s when she joined QVC as their resident beauty expert, but to be honest unless you have been doing your job and describe yourself as an expert, well sorry 20s doesn’t cut it with me or impress me. AY has never impressed me. I now have to turn off?

She was hardly an experienced expert in her 20s

I don't watch QVC these days. I think, like a lot of people, I originally tuned in when going through difficult times. For some reason I found it comforting at the time. Although frankly, I never could watch AY or Jill Franks, or Slow Reveal Charlie. AY's voice is like listening to something from 1970s era Sooty show. Added to that, her lack of ability to describe anything without a liberal sprinkling of 'literally', 'for you', 'celebrities fly this man in, literally, to fix their skin problems, literally, and now you, literally, have the chance to try this pewer product, for you, literally in your own home, literally', 'celebrities use this literally, the lead singer in Showaddywaddy literally swears by it...'. Add to that her endless blabbing on about being 'your resident beauty expert', with no evidence of any expertise outside of telling us to buy whatever she was selling, and I'm afraid it was a more or less immediate switch off for me; though I'm sure sheepdogs on the Moors were howling in pain at the effects on their ears of her dulcet tones, literally.

Welcome tfady. Enjoyed your post. I think she is very lucky indeed to have somehow fallen into a jam pot. As a so called expert she never has to present mops, drills or loo brushes. I’ve got no real idea of her expertise but it certainly isn’t in the English language! Her voice is penetrating so she doesn’t work as background noise. I think she was a bit more bearable and genuine back in the day when she wore her ‘uniform’ tops and seemed to have real respect for some brands. Now it’s practically impossible to appear sincere about anything, there’s so much she has to enthuse about. All I can think is she must have a good agent and a cast iron contract.

Welcome tfady. Enjoyed your post. I think she is very lucky indeed to have somehow fallen into a jam pot. As a so called expert she never has to present mops, drills or loo brushes. I’ve got no real idea of her expertise but it certainly isn’t in the English language! Her voice is penetrating so she doesn’t work as background noise. I think she was a bit more bearable and genuine back in the day when she wore her ‘uniform’ tops and seemed to have real respect for some brands. Now it’s practically impossible to appear sincere about anything, there’s so much she has to enthuse about. All I can think is she must have a good agent and a cast iron contract.
Thanks, Bea Frugal.

Oh I love Gary, have some of his makeup, forgot about his show as working from home and following court cases!

I stopped watching her years ago. She is not only patronising, but extremely rude. I go to some of my local beauty salons, one of which is actually a clinic run by a nurse. She has told me on numerous occasions botanicals are not good for the skin, yet Alison goes on and on about botanical this and that.

She looks awful at the minute.

Turn over and the BA for Dujour is on again shouting...ugh I'm not a fan and joined by rentagob Alex! It's definitely a shouty Monday. We just need Ophelia to top it all!!!
I have messaged Alex several times, tv's have a volume button, but she doesnt seem to....soooo loud!

Oh I love Gary, have some of his makeup, forgot about his show as working from home and following court cases!

I stopped watching her years ago. She is not only patronising, but extremely rude. I go to some of my local beauty salons, one of which is actually a clinic run by a nurse. She has told me on numerous occasions botanicals are not good for the skin, yet Alison goes on and on about botanical this and that.

Before our Debenhams shut the girls on the Elemis counter as good as said she has no idea about their products. You don't need to use as many layers or different products together.

That is because she is paid by QVC and the brands they are selling well quite a few are botanicals.

At the end of the day, she is just like people at beauty counters, they work for that brand and will only talk about the brand they are paid by.

Before our Debenhams shut the girls on the Elemis counter as good as said she has no idea about their products. You don't need to use as many layers or different products together.
I think that applies equally to Keeley who is forever telling us to add this and that into our routine. Well she used to, I’m afraid I cannot bear to watch her anymore so she may have stopped I suppose. (I don’t find AY as annoying as most people on here.)

That is because she is paid by QVC and the brands they are selling well quite a few are botanicals.

At the end of the day, she is just like people at beauty counters, they work for that brand and will only talk about the brand they are paid by.
Which is why I have such a big issue with her claiming to be an independent beauty
expert and apparently the most powerful woman in beauty. Unless you watch QVC you would never have heard of her. She explains nothing and just goes on endlessly about how important she is. She also claims to live on a farm which is really just a small holding another exaggeratio!

Latest posts

Back