I know I'm late to the party. . .

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Not for me. I don’t do trends. Still wearing clothes I bought decades ago because they’re excellent quality and classic. My favourite is a vest that says ‘Rodeo Queen 1976’. When my daughter was little she thought it was something I did 😂 May I recommend Peopletree. Fair trade, organic cotton and sustainable. Also buy from charity shops, just got a fabulous White Company dress that looked like it had never been worn for £10. 😀 It’s good for the planet 🌎
With the exception of lingerie, tights & shoes the vast majority of my clothes are preloved, second hand or vintage, term determined by the place where I buy them. I agree that clothes that were made before we sold out to the Far East were excellent quality; I have always loved Laura Ashley & some of mine are over 40 years old, the colours have stayed true, buttons haven't fallen off & I've never needed to repair a hem or seam. Great shout for Peopletree 🥰

Some of my vintage clothes are my own from new. I've just bought classic rather than trend and looked after them. I have a washable silk blouse that is knocking on 30 years old that hasn't seen a huge amount of wear but had a fair whack. It was the one thing I thought would fall apart at the first wash but still looks like new.

Shoes are a different thing. I still have my lovely heels but I can no longer wear them due to walking/balance problems. I settled on FitFlops years ago and have worn nothing since as I also have PF and they are the only shoes or slippers I can wear that don't trigger the pain.

I got 'told off' by a strange man for wearing 'ugly' shoes several years ago. I was, for once, speechless! It was a slap-in-the-face wake-up call. Why on earth was I struggling to walk in pain just because people like him thought I should? I've worn my man repellers with pride ever since 😂

Some of my vintage clothes are my own from new. I've just bought classic rather than trend and looked after them. I have a washable silk blouse that is knocking on 30 years old that hasn't seen a huge amount of wear but had a fair whack. It was the one thing I thought would fall apart at the first wash but still looks like new.

Shoes are a different thing. I still have my lovely heels but I can no longer wear them due to walking/balance problems. I settled on FitFlops years ago and have worn nothing since as I also have PF and they are the only shoes or slippers I can wear that don't trigger the pain.

I got 'told off' by a strange man for wearing 'ugly' shoes several years ago. I was, for once, speechless! It was a slap-in-the-face wake-up call. Why on earth was I struggling to walk in pain just because people like him thought I should? I've worn my man repellers with pride ever since 😂
Brings to mind Churchill's comment to Bessie Braddock! He may have seen your shoes as ugly but you could take them off, he couldn't do anything about his unpleasant character. I won an eBay auction today for a Laura Ashley dress made in one of my favourite fabrics from the early 90s. I had watched it for several days & couldn't believe that I was the only one, even so I got that auction excitement when I put in my bid with 20 seconds to go. I contacted the seller & told her (bored her?) about my love for Laura & had a lovely email in return; it was an auction for a children's charity so win win.

Last edited:
Some people are lovely but I do wish I was quick enough to say something witty and cutting to rude people. Especially men.

It isn't even that I lack the vocabulary as minutes later I will have thought of the perfect comeback. It must be the shock of someone saying the unexpected that still gets me. I'm pretty sure my face says it all when the immediate thought of eff off runs through my head, though.

I think it’s because we can’t imagine anyone being that rude that we are gobsmaked and the put down doesn’t come quickly enough.

I have had Plantar Fasciitis. I don’t know why I got it so wrong in my post.
I had it in winter 2020. The reason it stopped was I was in lockdown for 12 weeks in Spain and we were not allowed to even go out and exercise for about 2 months so my feet got a good rest. I think got it from wearing Converse trainers that had no arch support. I’ve since bought the Chuck ones which do have some support.

I had it in winter 2020. The reason it stopped was I was in lockdown for 12 weeks in Spain and we were not allowed to even go out and exercise for about 2 months so my feet got a good rest. I think got it from wearing Converse trainers that had no arch support. I’ve since bought the Chuck ones which do have some support.
They have concrete soles, my daughter had her first pair when she was a teen & within a couple of weeks she said that every time she wore them her big toes went numb.

Latest posts

Back