I really like the idea of the electronic coin jars...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I watched this yesterday morning and the guest was spouting how it was so clever beause it only recognised english money. She then put a euro in to proove the point saying that it doesn't register foreign coins but it came up n the displAY as 5p! Not so clever after all

I bought one of these from Boots a couple of years ago when they had their January half price sale.

It works well. You just have to make sure you put the coin in sharply, ie if it senses the coin but it's not put in, it will count it as if it has gone in (does this make sense?!)

They have one this year for £10 so may be worth a look. http://www.boots.com/en/Novelty-Coin-Counting-Jar_1105159/

I bung my change in there when my purse gets too heavy and it soon adds up.

They had a good selection in Debenhams last Christmas for around a tenner (in their stocking stuffer section). I'm going to buy one in the shape of a beer glass for my brother in law this year.

I didn't see show but I bought a coin jar in a local cheapo shop for £3-99 and it works perfectly and won't accept foreign coins either. I have saved £25n in no time just putting in my loose change.

Isn't this why God invented empty biscuit tins?

I don't see the point in saving money buy buying something to save money in: isn't this a false economy?

I don't see the point in saving money buy buying something to save money in: isn't this a false economy?

i would agree Klar, but then again i save all my pennies in a TyPhoo tin and then go to the sooper and use one fo those coinstar machines that count your dosh* but charge some ridic percentage. another false economy.

*which i then spend on cheap liquor and cheap men.

I bought one of these from Boots a couple of years ago when they had their January half price sale.

It works well. You just have to make sure you put the coin in sharply, ie if it senses the coin but it's not put in, it will count it as if it has gone in (does this make sense?!)

They have one this year for £10 so may be worth a look. http://www.boots.com/en/Novelty-Coin-Counting-Jar_1105159/

I bung my change in there when my purse gets too heavy and it soon adds up.

They had a good selection in Debenhams last Christmas for around a tenner (in their stocking stuffer section). I'm going to buy one in the shape of a beer glass for my brother in law this year.

Will have a look see and check them out. Cheers.

my son has one - totally crap, dont waste your money
Gonna give the QVC version a miss anyway, thanks for the heads up.

It's the fact that it counted the money for you-supposedly, which is/was the attraction. It would also work as an "incentivizer"-if such a word exists. If I saw I were able to save a thousand quid in 2 pound coins, in a relatively short space of time, I'd be more likely to save, so in that sense,not a false economy.

i would agree Klar, but then again i save all my pennies in a TyPhoo tin and then go to the sooper and use one fo those coinstar machines that count your dosh* but charge some ridic percentage. another false economy.

*which i then spend on cheap liquor and cheap men.

Cheap liquor from cheap men; I prefer the expensive stuff from guys who can afford it.

After all, you've got to have standards :wink:

Ben: what's wrong with keeping a pen/pencil and a piece of paper in the tin so you can keep a running total?

The danger of relying on novelty to maintain your interest is: what happens when the novelty wears off? If you're saving just because you have an electronic piggy bank, the thrill may last a week if you're lucky.

Is exactly the same as buying exercise bikes etc - how many of us end up using them to dry damp clothes rather than use them for exercise? :headbang:

Cheap liquor from cheap men; I prefer the expensive stuff from guys who can afford it.

After all, you've got to have standards :wink:

Ben: what's wrong with keeping a pen/pencil and a piece of paper in the tin so you can keep a running total?

The danger of relying on novelty to maintain your interest is: what happens when the novelty wears off? If you're saving just because you have an electronic piggy bank, the thrill may last a week if you're lucky.

Is exactly the same as buying exercise bikes etc - how many of us end up using them to dry damp clothes rather than use them for exercise? :headbang:

Because I don't actually want to know the total, until such time as I want to know it, and this electronic piggy fingy would have served my needs.

FYI, I use all my exercise equipment, except for that one time when my elliptical trainer became a clothes rack.:cheeky:

Personally, I think it is better to save coins in diff. containers for sorting because when you get to the bank you have to have them sorted anyway for the weighing machine. I have never used that contraption in Asda or Sains. where you chuck all your money in at once, does that have to be sorted first? because I wouldn't trust it. What if it totted up less than you calculated, do you have a leg to stand on? Finally, it can be false economy saving coins, I have done it many times since childhood, cos you can end up breaking into a large coin or paper just to save using the coins you are collecting.

Latest posts

Back