I Really Should Have Known Better...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pinkpussycat

Meeoow....
In the New Year I got carried away and ordered quite a few Welo Opal pieces after reading previous rave reviews on here about this gemstone. I really should have known better. I've been buying sparklies from all the jewellery channels since their inception and know how hit and miss quality can be even though I have some really lovely items from the early days of GemsTV and particularly from TJC. Well I thought I'd give Rocks a go and placed a bumper order. I really should have known better. None of Welos looked half as beautiful as they did on screen, the gold weights were extremely light and a couple of stones looked decidedly murky. I really should have known better. And don't get me started on the thick plastic earring bags which seem to have been designed soley to prevent anyone being able to assess the quality of the stones (and my eyesight is excellent) so they were a complete non starter. I really should have known better. So now we come to two expensive rings from R&C's One Collection which although acceptable with regard to gold weight the piddly diamond accents were a joke so I can't understand why I ordered them tbh. I really should have known better. Funnily enough there were two other items that I liked, a pendant and some matching dangly earrings both Moonlight Topaz which is a cheap coated topaz...however they were not cheap in price but I would have kept them as they were very pretty. Because I liked the pendant I then opened the earring bag only to find that one of the earrings had a teeny tiny diamond missing!! Where is your famous qualty control R&C???? I was totally pi$$ed off by this but thought I'd send them back for repair because I wanted to keep them and the pendant so I contacted CS straight away and was told to return them for assessment. What ****** assessment would that be then?? A tiny diamond accent stone is missing and needs to be replaced, how hard is that to assess?? :rolleyes: This order was delivered on 11/1 and all items with the exception of the pendant were returned on 12/1 but the earrings still hadn't been assessed 10 days later so I politely :wink: told them not to bother and refund me for the earrings instead and I then returned the pendant on 22/1. I have to date received just 3 refunds on the items that I returned earlier and R&C still owe me a lot of money which is not acceptable. When calling CS about this all I get is a patronising madam reading to me parrot fashion about their 30 day period for refunds which is basically just a way for Rocks &Co to hang onto customers' money to improve their own cash flow. She was also at pains to point out they have many refunds to process and I must wait in a queue for mine so if it's really taking them so long they must have a hell of a lot of refunds still to process, why does that not surprise me?? I really should have known better. Now I do.

Addendum: I didn't want to have to post this thread because I didn't want to slag off the channel that my hero Scotty :heart:works for but I'm sorry John, it had to be done. Sue xxx

Last edited:
No certainly isn't! Sorry to hear that. I bought welo opals in a neklace when it was 1st on air from another channel, have to say wasn't impressed for the price at all. They looked a dirty mustard colour & weren't cheap. At least the channel where I bought mine were excellent and refunded me promptly tho.

Last edited:
Yes Nikki some of mine were like that and the rest just wishy washy. If Rocks had refunded me promptly I wouldn't have complained about them on here.

Oh what a disappointment Sue as you must have been looking forward to receiving your order. And as you say it tells a story that they have a lot of returns to keep you waiting so long for a refund! I do watch when John is on but it was their very early days since I last ordered. So your experience is a cautionary tale indeed. Hope they hurry up with processing your refund though.

I've worked in the banking sector Sacha and I'll keep you all posted as to how long R&C take to do what is/should be essentially a very quick process. That is unless R&C don't want it to be. :rolleyes:

I've worked in the banking sector Sacha and I'll keep you all posted as to how long R&C take to do what is/should be essentially a very quick process. Unless R&C don't want it to be, that is. :rolleyes:
I have to say Sue I've never bought from them (R&C). Their items always seemed on the rather expensive side to me & I bought so much from Gems I've got more than enough now. Just as well really as silver & gold is sooo expensive these days eh x.

I've got too much jewellery as well Nikki I think I was just bored and got carried away with John lol. This will be a lesson for me not to order any more though.

I've got too much jewellery as well Nikki I think I was just bored and got carried away with John lol. This will be a lesson for me not to order any more though.
Yes Sue & don't watch the shopping channels whilst tipsy if you're anything like me lol. I actually bought diet chef from Q last year, blimey, that's getting carried away! :wink:

It's just not good enough - in both quality and customer service - and doesn't inspire customers to order again.

Hope you get your refund soon............ but you know PPC - You shudda known betta :thinking:

So sorry Sue, to hear that this has happened to you.:down: I was tempted too early last year and did buy a couple of pieces that were pretty ok. However, my benchman did say that the gold was quite soft in a zircon bracelet I bought. I had really bought this bracelet to swap out half the stones with my own, so in the end I was happy with how it turned out. Being optimistic (or stupid :taphead:), I bought a few more items, but they were all returned. One of these was an 18ct sapphire antique style pendant set with VS diamonds. The idea was to swap out the blue sapphire with an untreated hot pink sapphire that I had bought from a gem cutter. The setting looked stunning on air and I was really excited about it. However, when it arrived it was so disappointing; the diamonds were so tiny with no sparkle at all, the setting looked cheap and the the colour of the sapphire was really dark in tone and almost opaque. This was supposed to be one of their top untreated sapphires too!

What I really posted to say is that my refunds all took around 20 days. Hopefully, you'll get the money back into your account very soon.

Buying bling should be fun and I agree John Scott is a peach. However, all these high expectations, crashing disappointments and returning of parcels to P.O. all the time is too much hassle and I'm too long in the tooth now to be lured down this path again. So, I don't watch the jewellery channels at all now. There.... problem sorted. :grin:

Good Luck Sue. Fingers crossed you get your refund today.

Last edited:
Hiya hon lovely to see you posting again albeit in my moany thread lol. Tbh I really don't know why I ordered these items in the first place because the Welos were all set in 9K (bar one) and the prices were far too high for a low grade of gold....I wasn't drunk honest!! There was one Welo I bought from the 'One Collection' set into 18K (item 831127) https://www.rocksandco.com/index.php?task=historicSearch but the stone irl was lifeless and the unremarkable diamonds piddly and for £899 I expected a stunner. My other 18K piece was a Santa Maria Aqua (208969) https://www.rocksandco.com/index.php?task=historicSearch which was in a very unusual setting with good gold weight and a nice colour stone but the pic doesn't show a profile shot and the ring sat far too high on the hand and looked awkward imo and with only 15 pts of miniscule diamonds it was vastly overpriced, again at £899. So you can imagine with all the other items I returned I am waiting for quite a tidy sum in refunds and it is totally unacceptable to have to wait 20 days. I'm sorry to hear you were also disappointed with your Rocks & Co purchases hon but I guess we have both learnt a lesson to never do it again. Sx

Last edited:
Oh, dear - that sounds dreadful! Whilst I do buy regularly from this channel, it tends to be for certain things which you can't really get anywhere else. I'd be the first to admit that, whiile they have some beautiful designs, their quality doesn't always match up to their often inflated prices, and you really do have to be careful.

With regard to Welo opals, my experience is that they are touch-and-go with ANY channel, and you need 3 to order at least 3 or 4 of each item in order to choose the best and return the others; to be honest, I've found Rocks & Co's welo opals somewhat better than the other channels (and they do at least match them in earrings). I love Welo opals and have quite a few, but I've returned a lot more than I've kept!

oh no, hanging onto your money like that is terrible :mysmilie_51: I wouldn't grace them with custom again, money spends anywhere. If they don't value customers enough to do the right thing by them, they don't deserve their loyalty.

Latest posts

Back