iphone yes or no?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Pick-a-Lily

was that summer?
Hi all :wave:
I am off to the USA on holiday next week, woohoo! I got an ipad at Xmas and am pretty impressed with the simplicity and user friendliness of Apple technology so, finding myself in the market for a new mobile phone, I am thinking of buying an unlocked iphone whilst I'm there (as they are a lot cheaper than here).
Firstly, am I right in assuming that I can just swap my UK SIM over to the new iphone and start using it? - I'm thinking of the 4S, which takes a micro sim like the one I am using in my current phone.
Secondly, your opinions generally on iphone and alternatives please?
Thanks in advance!

I think you will have to buy a UK charger when you get back to the UK but otherwise you should be OK. You will need to make the phone look like you have had it some time otherwise you could be liable to duty tax when you enter the UK.

Last edited:
If you contact your provider they should provide you with the correct sim for whichever iPhone you go for.

If you already have an iPad you will love the iPhone as it is just a smaller version, so nothing new to learn. Also with the iCloud you can add something to your iPhone and it will automatically be on your iPad and vice versa. I make notes on which ever one I have to hand like shopping lists etc and love that it updates the other. I also have a MacBook so that gets updated too :).

I love my apple products and wouldn't buy anything else now. If you have a problem their customer service in the stores is fantastic.

As you already have a micro sim it should fit in the iphone. BTW the phone providers charge more for micro sims if a replacement is needed and it is possible to cut down the large sim cards. There are instructions on the internet

Hi all :wave:
I am off to the USA on holiday next week, woohoo! I got an ipad at Xmas and am pretty impressed with the simplicity and user friendliness of Apple technology so, finding myself in the market for a new mobile phone, I am thinking of buying an unlocked iphone whilst I'm there (as they are a lot cheaper than here).
Firstly, am I right in assuming that I can just swap my UK SIM over to the new iphone and start using it? - I'm thinking of the 4S, which takes a micro sim like the one I am using in my current phone.
Secondly, your opinions generally on iphone and alternatives please?
Thanks in advance!

As long as the handset you buy isn't locked to any US network.

As for iPhone in general, yes, yes and thrice yes. I'm on my third, wouldn't have anything else.

Thanks everyone. Planning to get an unlocked iPhone and on my return, a PAYG SIM from giffgaff. I spoke to a friend at work today about hers, and this is the set up she has. She said she has never looked back.

I think there is an auto lock to the network sim when you insert it so be prepared for a bit of bill-shock as it uses the foreign data charged at extortionate rates. I've also heard of several problems of people trying to activate an iPhone whilst abroad over on the o2 forums.

Also does the cheaper US price include local taxes? Everybody forgets that....

And you really want to check out the US warranty terms as it may not include Apple Care globally unless you pay extra for it so you might be better off buying one here as you are better covered under law. Hence the cheaper price over there.

As you already have a micro sim it should fit in the iphone. BTW the phone providers charge more for micro sims if a replacement is needed and it is possible to cut down the large sim cards. There are instructions on the internet

My OH changed from a Samsung to an iPhone and wanted to use his current SIM card, he took it to a three shop where he has a contract and they cut his SIM card then and there for him as it needed to be smaller.

Thanks sheepdog, yes, local taxes, must admit I hadn't thought of that.
Depending on price I might go for the iPhone5 which will not take my micro SIM anyway, so perhaps I will just have to be patient and wait til I get home to get a nano SIM.

BTW, if you're on o2 and about to complete your contract soon you might be interested in the Refresh contract where basically you can pay for the phone over 2 years or sooner if you like, for zero interest.

Latest posts

Back