Is Christmas over yet?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

AllThatGlitters

Registered Shopper
Has anyone else had enough of the Christmas stuff? I am absolutely not in the mood for Christmas yet - hours and hours of bliddy LED reindeer is depressing me beyond words.

Totally agree! If you have to start spending for Christmas in October are people not spending too much?I hate all this 'get organised now to save stress' carp what they should say is we want to you to part with as much cash as we can get out of you ( & don't care if you can't afford)
Christmas should be a nice relaxing time but instead it is turned into stress, stress & more stress.I escape & have done for years & will continue to do so as long as I can crawl to some sort of transport to get away from this madness ( & in doing so will spend a lot less than I would staying here!)

From what I have seen--which admittedly is not much--some of the presenters are getting a little over excited over twinkly tat.

Trouble is this is it now there will be Christmas every week from now until Christmas then of course there will be the Christmas clearance when you can secure some wonderful bargains for next year which you will put away safely and promptly forget them so buy more next October !!!

Totally agree! If you have to start spending for Christmas in October are people not spending too much?I hate all this 'get organised now to save stress' carp what they should say is we want to you to part with as much cash as we can get out of you ( & don't care if you can't afford)
Christmas should be a nice relaxing time but instead it is turned into stress, stress & more stress.I escape & have done for years & will continue to do so as long as I can crawl to some sort of transport to get away from this madness ( & in doing so will spend a lot less than I would staying here!)

I like xmas but you are right, QVC seem to think that two months isn't enought to buy presents, well it's carp as everything in the shops gets discounted a week before Crimbo. All this 'we might not get it back in before Crimbo' well what an utter shame! There are other shops out there! The most stressy things for me is seeing my relatives and QVC can't sort that one out!

An instant turn-off for me :yawn: I find their approach very cynical - nowt to do with the spirit of Xmas, just an exercise in extracting as much lolly as possible from the punters :down:

Does anyone over the age of four actually like any of this tinkly, musical, colour-changing glitter-fest???
Gah.

[Wanders off, shaking head and muttering...]

You just know it's going to end up in land-fill in a couple of years...just what this planet needs more indestructible plastic c**p, NOT! I know times are tough and every penny counts but I'd rather buy one tiny piece of Waterford crystal for Christmas, or a quality British made linen table cloth that will last for generations than a shed load of plastic tat from China/Thailand. Could the 'wonderful' buyers at QVC not try to get away from this stack 'em high sell 'em cheap gimmicky, plastiky, flashy dross? Judging by the offerings today, I'll have more chance of winning the lottery.

I'm fed up with

The constant reminders it's two months to christmas.

Tales of the trauma of trawling round the high street with the other poor people who haven't discovered the delights of shopping on QVC.

That godawful music and presenters saying I love the sound of those jingly bells.

More marketstall tat that has been given a christmassy name and a mark up of 300%

Some made up story about someone they forgot to buy for who just happened to turn up on their doorstep on christmas day and luckily they had a L'occitaine handwash in their present drawer that they had bought early so that they could give a gift in return.

The ever growing ridiculous list of people we musn't forget to buy for

Bah Humbug

Perhaps we should have a national referendum as to when Christmas should 'start'?
Beg Sept/Oct, early mid Dec?
I'm going to Bruges for the Christmas market which start end Nov.

Perhaps we should have a national referendum as to when Christmas should 'start'?
Beg Sept/Oct, early mid Dec?
I'm going to Bruges for the Christmas market which start end Nov.

That is a fantastic ides SF. While they are at it, ban selling Easter eggs on Boxing Day, and yes sell school uniforms all year but only advertise "back to school" after the kids have broken up for Summer and have had at least 3 weeks off.

Well, here's a new one - Kathy Tayler's selling point for 2 glass keyring charms 'ideal for popping on to your bag' was that they would be ideal 'dog feeder's presents'. *facepalm*, That nestles nicely with Ali Young's assertion that Liz Earle Skin Repair was a great 'dog walking moisturiser'...

Some contributors to this forum live on the continent, when does Christmas 'start' for them?
I feel this is a British phenomenon? & possibly US?
I go to Spain which is very low key& then they have the Three Kings celebarations in January But nothing like the madness we have here.

I love it when they suggest that "instead of taking the usual bottle of wine or chocolates when you go to a dinner party, take. ................. a box of candles, tacky xmas decorations, a slanket (?), a pair of straighteners," zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz hells bells WHO thinks these things up ???? I wonder if Pippa or Dale, or JULIA would gratefully accept any of the above if they were the recipient of some Made in China offering, instead of a bottle of plonk !

Some contributors to this forum live on the continent, when does Christmas 'start' for them?
I feel this is a British phenomenon? & possibly US?
I go to Spain which is very low key& then they have the Three Kings celebarations in January But nothing like the madness we have here.

Because the US is big on Halloween and then has Thanksgiving, Christmas traditionally starts the day after Thanksgiving. The big Thanksgiving day parade in New York ends with the arrival of Santa to Macy's and that is the kick off. Not saying that there's not stuff around, but it's overshadowed by other holidays. It has seemed to me over the years that the UK start is after Bonfire night.

Because the US is big on Halloween and then has Thanksgiving, Christmas traditionally starts the day after Thanksgiving. The big Thanksgiving day parade in New York ends with the arrival of Santa to Macy's and that is the kick off. Not saying that there's not stuff around, but it's overshadowed by other holidays. It has seemed to me over the years that the UK start is after Bonfire night.[/QUOTE]

Yes but Sains. sell Christmas cards in Aug.

I was meaning the sort of Big Push. The garden centre near us puts up Santa's grotto in August, along with the trees and the decs. I think people twig "oh no, Christmas" after Bonfire Night.

I normally think, oh no christmas! when I go to Boots to get my lunch and end up in a queue for 40 mins as everyone is buying christmas pressies! actually thats normally round about now!! eeek!

I like christmas but just not now and even worse when everyone I work with is telling me how many pressies they have in already! Seriously people I havent even given a thought to it yet and prob wont til December!

Latest posts

Back