Is It Just Me?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Chad

Registered Shopper
The BidTv section of this forum seems to attract a large number of negative posts about the presenters, postage charges, quality of goods and customer service from this particular company. From what I can glean, some of these posters spend an inordinate amount of time either watching this channel or posting bad things about it on this forum. Am I alone in wondering why they devote so much energy to hating something they are not compelled to endure?

I think its where none of us feel it isn't entertaining, despite our views

Pretty much this. It's still entertaining.

Not all the presenters are bad though, Hodgson especially is very honest and consistantly avoids any hard selling, so credit where due.

The BidTv section of this forum seems to attract a large number of negative posts about the presenters, postage charges, quality of goods and customer service from this particular company. From what I can glean, some of these posters spend an inordinate amount of time either watching this channel or posting bad things about it on this forum. Am I alone in wondering why they devote so much energy to hating something they are not compelled to endure?

It's all about wanting to drive up standards, fairness and quality. There have been some massive improvements in these areas.
Personally, I watch for the entertainment and the occasional bargain.

this is a very good point, whilst i cant stand all the bull all the time its so addictive in a strange way, i love it...... SADLY :mysmilie_17:

Being such a desperate, mean spirited loner myself I do enjoy poking a bit of fun at Peter Simon ;) The fact of the matter is I live with someone who has Bid on tv most of the day and it's usually on in the background when I'm on the computer. While I've never bought anything I like watching the antics and commenting on them.

I'm one of Bingo's "rotten lot", who has nothing better in my life than to watch a shopping channel I hate all day, and spend any other spare time I have coming on here and slagging off the goods and the presenters. I'm sad and lonely and have few friends, I'm a pseudo intellectual in the rest of my spare time, and any other spare time I have, I spending it ripping the wings off insects...ahh shut up Bingo..take a look at yourself - You can be as rude and unpleasant as the next person! - handy when you've got an internet forum to hide behind isn't it?

Serioulsy Chad...I buy a lot from bid and price drop..find it very entertaining...think it's improved a lot, the sales tecniques were bordering on criminal..but as I said it's lots lots better now...I love it!

Bingo wings I think you've summed it up pretty well. Some of the negativity comes across as though the individual concerned is putting up a shield to deflect the fact that they actually enjoy watching shopping tele. Why not embrace it? I watch my share of it, I don't know why because the only thing I've ever bought is a couple of crates of wine from the now defunct Vinappris (which was actually really good wine and very cheap). I mostly have it on in the background but for reasons I can't explain I really enjoy watching Peter Sherlock or Anoushka on TJC. They're enthusiastic and friendly and I'm sure are really nice, ordinary people in real life who are just doing a job like the rest of us. I don't understand the mentality of someone sitting down for endless hours infront of a channel they purport to hate only to come on here and confirm to the rest of us that they really do hate it. Honest!

Again... no one has said that peter sherlock isn't friendly.

He even comes on here on occasion and engages in discussion which is always civil.

I think to some extent that there is an element that likes to militantly defend bid, in an effort to make themselves look like some kind of amazing human being. just feel it's unnessessary.

Again... no one has said that peter sherlock isn't friendly.

He even comes on here on occasion and engages in discussion which is always civil.

Hmmm. He doesn't seem to come on very much since whole threads were dedicated to having a go at him. It seems that his reward for coming here and exchanging in civil discussion was some rather uncivil abuse. Shylock? Shock Faced? It's all a bit playground isn't it? Still, as long as people are watching him for 10 hours a day so we don't have to then it's all good.

Hmmm. He doesn't seem to come on very much since whole threads were dedicated to having a go at him. It seems that his reward for coming here and exchanging in civil discussion was some rather uncivil abuse. Shylock? Shock Faced? It's all a bit playground isn't it? Still, as long as people are watching him for 10 hours a day so we don't have to then it's all good.

well Chad, perhaps you are new to bid or price drop, you might even be new to this forum, if so you'll see that we do give credit where it's due but we also say a lot of things in fun too, unfortunately we can't legislate for people that don't have a sense of humour

oh indeed it gets a bit silly but thats the nature of the beast.

I think it's a sad indication of tv in 2013 in general that i'd rather watch/have in the background, a shopping channel (for its unpredictable comedic potential) as opposed to contrived reality shows. it shouldn't be that way but it is.

what was the jist of the insult by bingowings that has been deleted? i missed it and feel left out

what was the jist of the insult by bingowings that has been deleted? i missed it and feel left out

It's quite ironic that we are seen as nasty people yet bingo only ever appears when he/she wishes to verbally attack those people.

It's a shame that people can't differentiate between serious and light hearted fun

I have shopping channels on in the background just for noise, cos yes, I am lonely, and the only reason I have these on is because they are 'safe' with no RSPCA adverts, or children dying in front of me, which very very much upsets me and can ruin a week for me, quite literally. But I do enjoy Bid, and think that Andy Hodgson is better telly than something I'm supposed to be glued to like Downton Abbey or X-Factor, he is more entertaining than anything else on conventional telly to be honest. There are a lot of laughs to be had too, and of course also laughs to be had not in the way expected, such as peter Simon talking utter tripe, and watching how much Caroline can actually tip her head each day :)
The annoyance for some people I assume, myself included, is that some people out there do actively watch these channels as a genuine sales outlet and believe the 99% tosh these presenters come out with, "the great name of....." "the quality brand that is......" and as someone who knows indepth about one subject, when I hear absolute carp being spouted about that subject in particular, I am led to wonder what else they are spouting about on subjects I don't know about as indepth. I have read for example, on these forums for many years now, stories of people having their xmas's almost ruined by trusting 'guaranteed delivery for xmas' both verbally by trusted presenters, and slapped on every screen, when goods don't even turn up til mid january. And to finish, it's only by people like us coming on here and highlighting the bad sales techniques, mis information and shoddy pitches, that things get done, complaints get made and changes happen for the better. I'm sure some people would like us 'haters' to just let it ride, or give them a rest, or let them off this time, but no chance from me anyway :)

oh indeed it gets a bit silly but thats the nature of the beast.

I think it's a sad indication of tv in 2013 in general that i'd rather watch/have in the background, a shopping channel (for its unpredictable comedic potential) as opposed to contrived reality shows. it shouldn't be that way but it is.

I also like it for background noise, especially as it doesn't require any attention, you can get on with other things whilst it's going on, and hopefully you might see something you want to buy, online of course, or through another retailer. It's great when I'm on a late shift like today, it doesn't distract me so much that I run behind with the things I'm supposed to do, it's not violent or distressing, can be hilariously funny and at times infuriating...but they're getting better ie not seemingly out to mislead people deliberately.

I also like it for background noise, especially as it doesn't require any attention, you can get on with other things whilst it's going on, and hopefully you might see something you want to buy, online of course, or through another retailer. It's great when I'm on a late shift like today, it doesn't distract me so much that I run behind with the things I'm supposed to do, it's not violent or distressing, can be hilariously funny and at times infuriating...but they're getting better ie not seemingly out to mislead people deliberately.

That's fair enough, i just to some extent resent the notion that the majority of us are "sad" or horrible people.

That's fair enough, i just to some extent resent the notion that the majority of us are "sad" or horrible people.

You and me both! As far as I can see the people who do this aren't avid watchers of bid, but have come along to the bid forum to have a look, have read the comments, seen how negative they mostly are, and rather than try and see where this negativity is actually coming from - jump in all guns blazing, and of course decide to totally ignore the fact that there's some positive comments too - and quite a lot of them!
The ones who purport to be really pleased with the many things they buy from these channels, the service they've received, all the extra charges etc have so far sadly turned out to be winding us up deliberately- Ok - Trolls, and that's another thing that seems to be said " If you don't agree with the majority, then you become accused of trolling"...Put forward a decent (and polite) arguement, and you won't!

You and me both! As far as I can see the people who do this aren't avid watchers of bid, but have come along to the bid forum to have a look, have read the comments, seen how negative they mostly are, and rather than try and see where this negativity is actually coming from - jump in all guns blazing, and of course decide to totally ignore the fact that there's some positive comments too - and quite a lot of them!
The ones who purport to be really pleased with the many things they buy from these channels, the service they've received, all the extra charges etc have so far sadly turned out to be winding us up deliberately- Ok - Trolls, and that's another thing that seems to be said " If you don't agree with the majority, then you become accused of trolling"...Put forward a decent (and polite) arguement, and you won't!

Thats the thing, also keep in mind one of them only ever "joins in" when lisa brash is recieving a verbal jousting... but of course that is alright as it isn't the mighty mason lol

Latest posts

Back