Is this worth it?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Argeybargey I am not a newby and used to post regularly on this forum untill graham introduced the VIP member option at which point I lost my avatar and username I have not been on the site for sometime because of work and family commitments I appologise if I caused meeshoo any offence but I was mearly pointing out that her poor choice of example photos did not help.

Please feel free to post your own examples to back up your thoughts then. At least I attempted to do so and apologise that I don't have an Iliana piece that has exactly the same carat weight/size of diamonds as a RocksTV piece. However, I think I demonstrated very accurately the difference between SI and I graded diamonds which was the point of my post. You have just given us the benefit of your thoughts which I believe to be inaccurate. I didn't actually say that I thought your post was pointless though did I? I even apologised for disagreeing with you. You clearly feel that I shouldn't disagree with you. Perhaps you will allow us to benefit from your experience by posting up examples of your own?

Last edited:
I usualy find this link a good basic way of explaing the difference to my customershttp://www.diamondgeezer.com/pops/good_better_best.html. :)

Much as I love Diamondgeezer and they've given me nothing to complain about as a customer, I wouldn't use your link as an explanation of anything. Customers, certainly those who don't understand inclusions in diamonds, will believe that the inclusions shown in those diagrams are representative of each and every diamond of that particular grade. That is totally and utterly incorrect. I believe Diamondgeezer are also rethinking that representation as they've had similar comments. Look at the Asscher cut in my previous post and compare it to the SI picture in the link you provided - it's a million miles away.

Perhaps giving your customers a more accurate description such as the GIA grading system would be more appropriate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_clarity

The description of each clarity grade would be of far more assistance. You will see that SI clarity generally means you can't see any inclusions without 10x magnification. Now look at the Diamongeezer link - this suggests that inclusions from I through to VVS can be seen with ease. That's why it's misleading.

Last edited:
Sorry meeshoo the majority people switch off when I show them the GIA's description of the grading system people seem to prefer pics.

Then perhaps purchasing sample stones might be better.

Better still, show them actual examples.

Ooh dear, I roll in from the pub to find My Dear Meesh being lambasted. For anyone looking in, Meesh has saved me squillions with her sound advice, some of which I've chosen not to take at my peril (hemimorphite?) but whatever, I respect her opinion. If she posts I listen. All of us have the choice as to whether we take her kindly offered advice but I really don't think she deserves criticism for trying to help. I for one shall continue to value her opinion as I understand the sentiment that it is given. You can all make your own minds up whether you do the same. :spider:

Ooh dear, I roll in from the pub to find My Dear Meesh being lambasted. For anyone looking in, Meesh has saved me squillions with her sound advice, some of which I've chosen not to take at my peril (hemimorphite?) but whatever, I respect her opinion. If she posts I listen. All of us have the choice as to whether we take her kindly offered advice but I really don't think she deserves criticism for trying to help. I for one shall continue to value her opinion as I understand the sentiment that it is given. You can all make your own minds up whether you do the same. :spider:

I couldn't agree more! Meesh has also given me invaluable advise on many occasions and i will also continue to value her opinion.

I use the above links as a way of explaining to my clients why the Piece they are trying to insure for a ridiculous amount of money, Just simply isn't worth the premiums because they are not worth the value that some of the ludicrous valuations that some unscrupulous jewelers working on a percentage of worth value them at.
In my line of work as an Insurance Investigator/Assessor for high value/risk Items I find a lot of people are getting ripped off by inflated valuations.

I use the above links as a way of explaining to my clients why the Piece they are trying to insure for a ridiculous amount of money, Just simply isn't worth the premiums because they are not worth the value that some of the ludicrous valuations that some unscrupulous jewelers working on a percentage of worth value them at.
In my line of work as an Insurance Investigator/Assessor for high value/risk Items I find a lot of people are getting ripped off by inflated valuations.

I completely agree which is why I always use Safeguard who charge a flat fee irrespective of value.

With all due respect however, you're not a jewellery valuer and therefore should be very careful about advising people what they should insure or not as you are not a gemmologist - there are some items that command a very high value that you wouldn't look twice at.

I'm perpexled that you advise people about insurance premiums if you're an investigator and assessor as surely your job is dealing with people AFTER they've bought the piece and it's been lost/stolen? If you're using the above links to justify not paying out after a loss then I'm glad it wasn't you that dealt with my recent claim because you'd have had a fight on your hands! :1:

None of the above is meant to cause offence and I hope you don't take it as such. Jewellery/gemstones valuing and assessing is a minefield.

Meeshoo part of my job is that if a person attempts to insure a valuable item that is not in fitting with their overall financial standing I pay a visit to the client to establish whether or not the person actually possesses said item and if they do whether or not it is as described in their application for cover. I would not regard myself as a jewelery assessor and would never claim to be, but have been trained by my employers to be able to have a rough idea of overall basic value to enable me to identify attempted fraud. At which point they would call in an independant valuation company.

Again I would like to point out that I have not attacked Meeshoo just commented that in this particular case her pictures were not particularly helpful however this did not stop her from being a little discourteous to myself
If you knew anything about jewelery at all you would know that even 1mm diamonds will sparkle if SI2.
I have no wish to fight or get involved in a flame war over a difference of opinions. I have no doubt that she has given valuable advice and is valued as a member on this forum and applaud her for it but perhaps she could have contacted me in a pm to express her concerns rather than needlessly dragging out this thread and deviating from the original post.

Meeshoo part of my job is that if a person attempts to insure a valuable item that is not in fitting with their overall financial standing I pay a visit to the client to establish whether or not the person actually possesses said item and if they do whether or not it is as described in their application for cover. I would not regard myself as a jewelery assessor and would never claim to be, but have been trained by my employers to be able to have a rough idea of overall basic value to enable me to identify attempted fraud. At which point they would call in an independant valuation company.

Crikey that's a bit too Big Brotherish for me! I would be appalled if an insurance company felt fit to ask me to justify my jewellery purchases and measured that against my financial standing. I would be livid! I guess the world of false claims is one we live with though but it's a sad old world that it's come to that.

Edit: Just noticed an angry face has appeared at the top of this particular post - no idea why as I'm sure I didn't put it there :)

I would not regard myself as a jewelery assessor and would never claim to be.

As such I would hope that you'd be able to at least spell it right.

I have no doubt that she has given valuable advice and is valued as a member on this forum and applaud her for it but perhaps she could have contacted me in a pm to express her concerns rather than needlessly dragging out this thread and deviating from the original post.

:33:

Meeshoo whenever you insure anything the company does a credit reference so if for example you had a household worth of say £50,000 and then tried to insure a £250,000 item then alarm bells would ring and someone like myself would be asked to investigate.

Again I would like to point out that I have not attacked Meeshoo just commented that in this particular case her pictures were not particularly helpful however this did not stop her from being a little discourteous to myself I have no wish to fight or get involved in a flame war over a difference of opinions. I have no doubt that she has given valuable advice and is valued as a member on this forum and applaud her for it but perhaps she could have contacted me in a pm to express her concerns rather than needlessly dragging out this thread and deviating from the original post.

Why on earth would I want to PM somebody who called one of my posts pointless? Somebody I don't know? Perhaps if you had felt that your posts had been read incorrectly when it was pointed out you could have PM'd me? You were offensive. If I have responded in the same manner then don't you think it was deserved?

I apologise and corrected your advice earlier because it was seriously flawed and incorrect. You then proceeded to link to sites that were positively unhelpful. If you are assessing based on the Diamondgeezer images then your training is flawed as is your knowledge.

I would be happy if the moderators would close this thread because as you say, it's deviated away from the original post.

Perhaps if you would like to continue this in private you PM me and perhaps I can show you more examples that you might like to use and learn from?

As such I would hope that you'd be able to at least spell it right.

:33:

Unfortunately computer has automatic spell check that uses an American dictionary so if you look through my posts you will find a lot of Americanism's :1:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back