Items Magnified on Screen

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Maisie

Registered Shopper
Just wondering if anybody else finds that items are magnified on screen and in reality they are a fraction of the size. I ordered the gold star earrings that were on with Jan Springer a couple of days ago and they arrived today. I couldn't believe how tiny they were you would need a magnifying glass to see them. Think that will be my last purchase from the Q as I am totally disillusioned with the whole set up.

Well, if you are watching an earring on a 50 inch TV it could look like it is 50 inches, although obviously it will not be.

I've thought the same as you, and been disappointed, but I can't see any solution to the problem, unless a model is wearing it (but perhaps they choose models with tiny ears to make it look bigger)

I always gauge the size against the presenter/model fingernail as that is usually fairly consistent size in most people. They usually touch/ point to the items so you can get a good comparison

Wrist size is hard to gauge as the models have very very thin wrists, sometimes they either tuck the excess in or have it sitting halfway up their arms, or if the presenter has a big wrist they leave it open.

Even after all these years I still get caught out now and again.

Yes, I too have been caught. I sent for a B & W champagne glass brooch, but when it arrived it was tiddly, so it went straight back.

Well, if you are watching an earring on a 50 inch TV it could look like it is 50 inches, although obviously it will not be.

I've thought the same as you, and been disappointed, but I can't see any solution to the problem, unless a model is wearing it (but perhaps they choose models with tiny ears to make it look bigger)
May I suggest that when watching jewellery shows on QVC you either sit further away from the TV or, use binoculars the wrong way round, these methods should go some was to seeing the products in their true size. :mysmilie_17::mysmilie_61::mysmilie_520:

They should go back to the days when the presenters had rulers and tape measures at least then you could check,the size before you ordered.

You should gage it by the fact, take QVCs price, half it, half it again, and think how much gold would you get for that price? which is not a lot.

They all do it ,I happened across a gems Tanzanite show this morning and the ring was the most magnified I've ever seen ,They didnt show it any way you could gauge the actual size.

I can't get my head around jewellery sizes unless I see them on the model or presenter. I just don't have that kind of brain. It can be so difficult.

Mind you I do like delicate jewellery so I'm often happy if they're smaller than I thought rather than bigger.

Only range I've ever had turn out to be bigger than I thought it would be was Lola Rose.

My post #3 was slightly tongue in cheek, but there is no real answer to the problem unless you watch on a tiny screen (such as an ipod). Even an iphone screen would show the items larger than real life.

You get a much better idea of how a pendant will look size-wise if the presenter is wearing it and the camera pans back a way a couple of times, so you can see the proportions. I hate it when they just do close-ups of the pendant itself on a chain round the presenter's neck. I know in the past viewers complained about some of Gems stuff being really tiny when you got it home, and people commented that their cameras exaggerated the sizes excessively.
All the channels do it. You need to see the presenter holding the item up to see the real size in jewellery especially.

I agree, Turandot (in fact I've just posted something about the viewers complaining a while back, saying that Gems' cameras exaggerated the sizes excessively). I noticed when they used to take phone-ins from customers, some people commented they were sometimes misled by the camera angles into thinking the item would be bigger, and could Gems do anything about it. They seem to rarely take phone calls from customers these days, but the website reviews often say that an item was smaller than expected.

They all do it ,I happened across a gems Tanzanite show this morning and the ring was the most magnified I've ever seen ,They didnt show it any way you could gauge the actual size.

Back in the day, the jewellery presenters on Gems did have rulers - Scott Worsfold used to measure nearly all the pieces he showed and used to trot out the same rhyme about "the ruler of truth tells no lies, it just gives the size". These days, in the relentless sell, sell, sell, pressure, all that seems to have gone by the wayside.

Latest posts

Back