Jewellery advice please

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

PJ.

In an Ideal World ...
Please can I seek people's advice, please be totally honest if you think this is silly or a daft idea, I value your opinions.

Without going into too much detail before my dad died he was ill for 18 years and Mum coped amazing, bringing me up, visiting Dad 99% of the time every week and more and even from before he was ill Mum wanted an eternity ring but Dad couldn't afford one. My Mum is my hero, my inspiration, my Mum and Dad rolled into one and I was thinking I would like to get Mum an eternity ring, her hearts desire on behalf of Dad but is that just plain crazy? I know if he was well and still with us he would get it.

PJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thank you BusyMum, now the next question :p. am I best off looking on the shopping channels or going in store? I would like to get 9k yellow gold, and she adores blue, the obvious one would be tanzanite But I only have a budget of around 150 which I know isn't much, so maybe a cheaper blue stone? Thanks.

PJ

A lovely idea,PJ........I have just had a quick look at Gems website and you can get a tanzy gold ring for your budget (eternity style).It may even be worth ringing CS to get a best price on some that are more expensive,see if they can honour an on air price(just a thought)
I doubt very much that you would be able to get a tanzanite ring anywhere else for your budget other than the shopping channels,not from what I have seen anyway.I know we moan about Gems tv but I recently bought a tanzanite pendant from them and am very pleased with it,especially considering what I paid!

Thank you all so much from the bottom of my heart. I will look at all of your suggestions. Her birthday is mid August so I will save everything I can for it. I am off long term sick so she would go mad if I spent loads even if I could afford it but I really want to do this as a token of my appreciation. Thanks again good people of ST.com xx

ETA I forgot if I get something from Gems TV (the blue diamond one looks gorgeous as do the others) I want it to be a total surprise so will they re size or can I get someone else to do that? I can't think of a way around it. Thanks again for the time taken thinking and looking :) xx

Last edited:
Hi PJ, just catching up with your thread, lovely idea to get your Mum a gift of jewellery. It would be helpful if you could find out the size of ring that your Mum wears, bit tricky I know, but some eternity rings are not really suitable for re-sizing. Not really enough gold at the rear of the band to support the alterations. Jewellers are very cautious about re- sizing, as the ring could be left weak afterwards and the stones could pop out....has happened to me!

Also be aware that some of the Gems rings are very flimsy in their gold weight, always better to look for something with more than 2 gms of gold, even more if it needs re-sizing. Hence much simpler to get the right size in the first place. It can also be quite expensive, though Gems do have those recommended firms located in Birmingham.

As an alternative selection, can I suggest you check out QVC's website, type in Eternity rings in the search box, and you will find a good selection appear. The advantage here is that rings come in many sizes and a variety of prices, as you will see.
Personally I can recommend the Veronese Diamonique range, a fairly modest price, but sterling silver thickly bonded with 18 k gold, and they also wear very well, look nice and don't break the bank!

Thanks Sacha. I will have to give it some thought how to trick her into giving me her size.

PJ.

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

What a wonderful idea PJ, such a caring loving thought for your Mum. I can't really offer further advice on that already given but I'm absolutely sure she'll be thrilled with whatever you choose, knowing you have given it so much consideration. Well done to you...... as a Mum myself I just know that she'll feel very proud to have such a lovely son.

Thank you BusyLizzie. I think I might try and get one of her friends to ask her what her ring size is as one of their friends wants to get a ring for a friend who has a similar size ring finger, unless anyone can think of a better rouse! She is very trusting and innocent and hopefully wouldn't think I had anything to do with it.

PJ.

PJ I think it's a really lovely idea, very thoughtful of you and I'm sure she'll love it.

Does she have any rings that she doesn't always wear? If so and she's got one that fits the right finger and you can borrow it without her missing it take it to a jewellers and they can measure it for you then you'd know which size to buy

Thanks Frazzled and DD. I will have to look but I don't think she has got much jewellery. But worth trying, I really want the element of surprise if I can. I wish I had more money but being long term sick I can't and knowing Mum so well I know she wouldn't wear anything of big value as it would worry her sick (the spending money not damaging it)

PJ.

What a lovely idea PJ. Many years ago my Dad and I were in town and I reminded him that it was Mum's birthday soon. There was never much money when I was growing up although Mum and Dad both worked hard and they didn't buy each other birthday, anniversary or christmas presents because of this. Mum never had an engagement ring either because money was so tight. Dad said he always felt bad about that but whenever he suggested a ring or bracelet Mum said no. I suggested he get her an eternity ring because that was the only piece of jewellery she told me that she had wanted and she wouldn't ask my Dad for it. With my encouragement and pushing we bought one there and then. It fitted and she loved it, now aged 80 and widowed it is still on her finger. So I am sure your Mum will love her ring and all the more because you bought it out of love and gratitude.

PJ - I'm sorry that I'm late to your thread.

I think your idea is wonderful and if my daughter did that for me I would be thrilled. One thing I would say to take into consideration is that you (presumably) want a ring to last AND I'm guessing that your Mum will probably wear it everyday? If that's the case then you need to think about the hardness/durability of the gemstone. For example, I adore the Santa Maria Aquamarine that GC posted BUT Aquamarine is a soft stone and not recommended for every day use. Having the gemstones set into an eternity band does give them some protection but I still would be wary of Aquamarine/Apatite/Tanzanite (thinking of blue gems). If you're after blue then either blue diamonds or blue sapphires are the way to go.

I absolutely love the blue diamond one that GC linked to. It has everything, style, DIAMONDS!!!!!!, and it's very nicely priced.

Good luck with your search and please let us know what you get.

PJ - I'm sorry that I'm late to your thread.

I think your idea is wonderful and if my daughter did that for me I would be thrilled. One thing I would say to take into consideration is that you (presumably) want a ring to last AND I'm guessing that your Mum will probably wear it everyday? If that's the case then you need to think about the hardness/durability of the gemstone. For example, I adore the Santa Maria Aquamarine that GC posted BUT Aquamarine is a soft stone and not recommended for every day use. Having the gemstones set into an eternity band does give them some protection but I still would be wary of Aquamarine/Apatite/Tanzanite (thinking of blue gems). If you're after blue then either blue diamonds or blue sapphires are the way to go.

I absolutely love the blue diamond one that GC linked to. It has everything, style, DIAMONDS!!!!!!, and it's very nicely priced.

Good luck with your search and please let us know what you get.

Thanks. Very good advice as always.

PJ :) x

Sent from my Nokia 3210 using Snake.

Latest posts

Back