Julia and Donna Nooooo

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

If Julia and Donna (the BA for Attitudes and who knows what else she does) are both a size 12/ Medium, I am a monkey's uncle. It could be that the TV distorts people's sizes and makes them appear squatter and tubbier than they are in real life. The models are usually a size 10/small and do not look only one size smaller than Julia and Donna. Of course, it could be the adage that "They may weigh the same, but it don't lay the same". And, I'm a bit bored of Julia's observation that as you get older, your bum moves around to your front. Maybe in her case !

If they don't want to wear heels, there are pretty and comfortable pumps and flats and sandals.
I agree, but I think when it comes to footwear to go with dresses and skirts, as well as comfort, you've got to consider "balance", I don't mean trying to stay upright in heels but the overall look you get, sometimes a dainty little shoe can spoil a look as much as a clumpy one. I've seen ladies wearing lovely summer dresses and as you look down and see the ground - "Bonk" there's her feet sticking out like paddles at the bottom. The ballerina pump always looks better on somebody taller and long legged. If Julia had worn ballet pumps with that jumpsuit we've just mentioned, despite being preferable to scruffy trainers, the look would've been wrong and cut her off- "Bonk"! I find a wedge heel is quite a versatile option.

I agree, but I think when it comes to footwear to go with dresses and skirts, as well as comfort, you've got to consider "balance", I don't mean trying to stay upright in heels but the overall look you get, sometimes a dainty little shoe can spoil a look as much as a clumpy one. I've seen ladies wearing lovely summer dresses and as you look down and see the ground - "Bonk" there's her feet sticking out like paddles at the bottom. The ballerina pump always looks better on somebody taller and long legged. If Julia had worn ballet pumps with that jumpsuit we've just mentioned, despite being preferable to scruffy trainers, the look would've been wrong and cut her off- "Bonk"! I find a wedge heel is quite a versatile option.
Absolutely, and I may have missed the mark by saying 'and' flats... I prefer flats, but I too do the wedge route for a more cohesive and balanced look.

After seeing some of the presenters in real life they all look slimmer than on the Tv. Being short does not do anyone any favours that's why the modelling world wants women who are 6 foot tall and a size 8 which is not normal for mere mortals.

Just like most of us many of the presenters have changed shape as they age. I was once tall, slim and a size 12 but nowadays I`m lucky to fit into a size 16 and often need an 18. Years ago the likes of Julia could wear smaller sizes and clingy fabrics but not now. She`s a woman in her 60`s and she must own a magic mirror which makes her visualize as she once was but not as she is now.
Delboy once preached about diet and exercise and even wrote a book but looking at her nowadays it appears she doesn`t follow her own advice. I`m not criticising her for that because many of us are guilty of becoming comfortable with how we now look rather than thinking we`re still how we used to look so dress accordingly.
Julia knows she wears the wrong clothes in the wrong size but she just won`t accept it. She also knows that as she`s aged, her body is less firm and weight has gathered around her middle but she still likes to pretend it hasn`t.
Its called living in the past and you see it everywhere with people who have been on screen for whatever reason. Pop stars who can no longer sing in tune, bands which look on their last legs, actors who can barely remember their own name let alone a script, TV selly telly presenters who once had great figures, people who have gone through so much cosmetic surgery their face and body now belongs on a UFO, mutton dressing as lamb etc etc etc as they all try to escape reality ie getting older and nothing looks as it once did.

If Julia and Donna (the BA for Attitudes and who knows what else she does) are both a size 12/ Medium, I am a monkey's uncle. It could be that the TV distorts people's sizes and makes them appear squatter and tubbier than they are in real life. The models are usually a size 10/small and do not look only one size smaller than Julia and Donna. Of course, it could be the adage that "They may weigh the same, but it don't lay the same". And, I'm a bit bored of Julia's observation that as you get older, your bum moves around to your front. Maybe in her case !
I agree about TV making people look bigger and like you I try to compare the presenter to the models or guest to get an accurate impression. As you say thereā€™s no way JR is only one size bigger than the models. She was wearing a size 12 top the other day which looked ok from a distance. However it was intended to have vertical creases in the fabric but the creases had been pulled out as it stretched to cover her ample bosom. Iā€™m no skinny minnie and I donā€™t get why she doesnā€™t just wear the correct size.

Analogue tv made people look more solid, this is not the same with digital screens & let's be honest neither of them are capable of creating back fat. Imogen Connolly, who usually presents Joules, has always said that she's a 14 & regardless of the height of the presenter who is on with her it's clear to see those who are much the same dress size. Queen Julia frequently says that labels can be removed from your clothes because only you need know the size you're wearing, she defo needs to follow her own advice.

Has anybody been watching the channel 5 series "How to look 10 years younger in 10 days" ? Oh my goodness Gemma Shepherd doesn`t half dress them in some strange things. This week Gemma herself look as if she was wearing a multi coloured circus tent or Joseph`s coat of many colours and sent out one of the women on this week`s show in long wide leg cream trousers tucked into the tops of ankle boots. The poor woman looked like she was off out doing a bit of deer stalking !
I just watched the latest episode on catch up, and the ladies did look heaps better, but then they would after being treated to expensive cosmetic dental and skin treatment, a top hair colourist and stylist, so not exactly a revelation...I did enjoy seeing the transformations though. Gemma, I've only ever seen her on QVC before but I actually noticed that she's got a lovely face, but has ruined her look with that ridiculous hairstyle.....Why does she want to look like Cruella De Ville? As for the clothing on the show I watched, I was left thinking, it was great seeing the ladies dressed up to the nines for the final shoot but there didn't seem to be much advice as to clothing for everyday wear. The two ladies confessed to living in pyjamas and sloppy sports wear, it's all very well putting them in diamante trousers and stilettos, or a crushed velvet suit with a satin blouse, but for everyday life (especially in these times) they need a happy medium. Surely nobody should have to dress up like a dog's dinner to look good and feel confident!

I suggested that my Mr T adopted that look, the look he gave me should have laid me out but I'm made of sterner stuff. Now where did I put that hair gel?
Speaking of hair and QVC, I turned the tv on when Tova was on in the week. Any idea why I suddenly craved a hot cross bun?

B04081B2-081F-4087-9464-B0602A26B2DF.jpeg

7989D9D4-24A9-4978-92FB-F125C94E1DA4.jpeg

I just watched the latest episode on catch up, and the ladies did look heaps better, but then they would after being treated to expensive cosmetic dental and skin treatment, a top hair colourist and stylist, so not exactly a revelation...I did enjoy seeing the transformations though. Gemma, I've only ever seen her on QVC before but I actually noticed that she's got a lovely face, but has ruined her look with that ridiculous hairstyle.....Why would she want to look like Cruella De Ville? As for the clothing on the show I watched, I was left thinking, it was great seeing the ladies dressed up to the nines for the final shoot but there didn't seem to be much advice as to clothing for everyday wear. The two ladies confessed to living in pyjamas and sloppy sports wear, it's all very well putting them in diamante trousers and stilettos, or a crushed velvet suit with a satin blouse, but for everyday life (especially in these times) they need a happy medium. Surely nobody should have to dress up like a dog's dinner to look good and feel confident!
How can anyone wear pyjamas apart from when they're in bed???

The woman on the show wears a uniform at work and as soon as she gets home even if it's 3 in the afternoon she'll change into her pj's because she's not going anywhere. I'll admit to doing that myself...especially since all this covid crap started!
I have started a new trend this last year, it's I can't be bothered look. When I go for a walk I put my jeggings on and change into joggers as soon as I get home. Apart from earrings I only wore jewellery on Christmas day,I don't even put wedding and engagement ring on anymore. I agree with my sister,we are both turning into recluses.

I dont like dressing formally even for a formal occasion. I prefer very plain well cut items that cost a lot more than they look. Black suits me so I wear it as much as I can get away with.

It doesn't matter whether you spend thousands or a tenner on a garment, what colour it is, what style it is - if it doesn't fit, it doesn't fit and you'd be far better swallowing your pride and if you're too fat for one size, buy one or two sizes up so that it does fit. Everyone looks fatter than ever in something that's too tight.

I have continued to look as I've always done - clothes, hair & jewellery, I've carried on buying clothes from eBay & Etsy & discovered a number of independent beauty companies so have changed my shampoo & perfume. After crashing so badly last spring I knew that I had to hold onto being me & this is how I do it. I can't imagine normal life anymore, even the brief glimpse of freedom from the summer seems a lifetime ago & the fact that I haven't seen our older daughter & her family for over 12 months is awful; she's said that we can't see them until they've had their two doses & as they're in their 30s with no health issues that could be many months away.

How can anyone wear pyjamas apart from when they're in bed???
The woman on the show wears a uniform at work and as soon as she gets home even if it's 3 in the afternoon she'll change into her pj's because she's not going anywhere. I'll admit to doing that myself...especially since all this covid crap started!

I think T meant the pyjamas you actually sleep in. I slob around in loungewear most of the day but if I need to run out Iā€™m smart enough, rather than running out in my Batman pyjamas šŸ¤”

Latest posts

Back