Julia R

• Thread starter Deleted member 22840
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Some horrific experiences, I’m shocked and saddened.

my niece was a devoted nurse and was promoted to a ‘junior’ sister age 28. She was so keen and hardworking, praised by doctors, thanked by patients and their families.

what let her down were her nurses. Some older who resented her rank, younger who didn’t take the job seriously. Bank staff who were ineffective because they wouldn’t get to grips with the ward if only there for a few shifts.

Worst of all she wasn’t supported by her managers (of which there seemed to be an infinite hierarchy). Nurses who didn’t like her management, training, delegation & disciplinary styles would just go over her head and complain. Because these ‘managers’ had no management training, skills or experience they took the line of least resistance and sided with the nurses.
My brother and I coached her but it was too big a task. In the end she resigned because she worried that it was only a matter of time before a patient was harmed or worse by staff (in)actions.

she now works happily for a private clinic, doing hospital bank shifts to maintain her professional requirements.

my niece was a devoted nurse and was promoted to a ‘junior’ sister age 28. She was so keen and hardworking, praised by doctors, thanked by patients and their families.

what let her down were her nurses. Some older who resented her rank, younger who didn’t take the job seriously. Bank staff who were ineffective because they wouldn’t get to grips with the ward if only there for a few shifts.

Worst of all she wasn’t supported by her managers (of which there seemed to be an infinite hierarchy). Nurses who didn’t like her management, training, delegation & disciplinary styles would just go over her head and complain. Because these ‘managers’ had no management training, skills or experience they took the line of least resistance and sided with the nurses.
My brother and I coached her but it was too big a task. In the end she resigned because she worried that it was only a matter of time before a patient was harmed or worse by staff (in)actions.

she now works happily for a private clinic, doing hospital bank shifts to maintain her professional requirements.
What an awful, shocking waste.
It doesn't surprise me, sadly. When I used to be on the Breast Cancer Care forum, the worst stories of bitchiness and hostility to a returning member of staff (remember returning from treatment for breast cancer) were from NHS workers. The lack of support, compassion and kindness from the "caring" professions really shocked me.

Some heart rending stories about the care or lack of by NHS staff.

That whole bloated organisation need a root and branch shake up but I doubt any political party, whatever their colour would have the courage to do that.

The NHS is a sacred cow, one that must never be criticised and if a politician tries the staff promptly threaten to strike.

I don’t pay much attention to the fashion shows nowadays but when I did, I appreciated the way Julia pointed out how the garments were cut and tailored for a particular “look”.
Ditto with her getting the QVC ruler out to measure jewellery.

factual descriptions are few and far between nowadays.
And unfortunately Julia is one of the worst which is doubly annoying since she was so particular about it.
You can’t espect much from the recent intakes since they did their training on the likes of Bid and those awful late night quiz con shows but those with 20+ years have no excuse.

Some heart rending stories about the care or lack of by NHS staff.

That whole bloated organisation need a root and branch shake up but I doubt any political party, whatever their colour would have the courage to do that.

The NHS is a sacred cow, one that must never be criticised and if a politician tries the staff promptly threaten to strike.

Be careful what you wish for, the Tories are quietly trying to privatise the NHS and bringing in health insurance like the States. When they pull it off, and they will pull it off, the less well off in society won’t be able to afford medical treatment. I’d be the first to say that nurses and doctors aren’t the “angels” they’re made out to be by some, but I’d also be the first to say we’d be lost without them and for every bad apple, I’ve known fifty good ones, and let’s face it like you in your store, when you’ve said customers are rude etc, some patients are like that to nurses and doctors, being violent, rude, punching, spitting at the very people trying to help them.

When I was a phlebotomist I had to get blood out of drug addicts groin, ankles, anywhere I can get it because the usual veins I’d use were rock hard from years of injecting, some had AIDS, some hepatitis, most had been sleeping rough and hadn’t been able to bathe, also the blood I took from a person who was having and operation I had to check it again, and again, and again because one wrong number, one wrong letter and that person could have the wrong blood if they needed a transfusion resulting in death, I had many a sleepless night over that, and my pay was a fraction of a nurses, in fact it was minimum wage.............but I loved the job and camaraderie and would do it all over again.

Be careful what you wish for, the Tories are quietly trying to privatise the NHS and bringing in health insurance like the States. When they pull it off, and they will pull it off, the less well off in society won’t be able to afford medical treatment. I’d be the first to say that nurses and doctors aren’t the “angels” they’re made out to be by some, but I’d also be the first to say we’d be lost without them and for every bad apple, I’ve known fifty good ones, and let’s face it like you in your store, when you’ve said customers are rude etc, some patients are like that to nurses and doctors, being violent, rude, punching, spitting at the very people trying to help them.

When I was a phlebotomist I had to get blood out of drug addicts groin, ankles, anywhere I can get it because the usual veins I’d use were rock hard from years of injecting, some had AIDS, some hepatitis, most had been sleeping rough and hadn’t been able to bathe, also the blood I took from a person who was having and operation I had to check it again, and again, and again because one wrong number, one wrong letter and that person could have the wrong blood if they needed a transfusion resulting in death, I had many a sleepless night over that, and my pay was a fraction of a nurses, in fact it was minimum wage.............but I loved the job and camaraderie and would do it all over again.
Thank you for your service to the NHS and I know that there are some absolutely wonderful people in every hospital, and I know they get some absolutely awful people and situations to deal with.

When I meant shake up I mean get rid of the incompetent pen-pushers, the layers and layers of management that bleed the NHS dry, stop commissioning hugely expensive new schemes that are doomed to failure, then the funds would be available to pay the staff at the coal face. to encourage people who see their job as a vocation to stay as an example to those less compassionate.

Stop it being the national life style service, I have no problem with how someone chooses to live their life but don't expect the NHS to foot the bill to fix things that are nothing to do with physical or mental health.

"Because these ‘managers’ had no management training, skills or experience"

Re-inforcing what I said in my earlier post.

I also saw nurses who regularly would 'moonlight' in the private sector. A couple of them would travel to the famous Priory clinics and do weekend shifts, earning in 2 days what it would take a week to earn in the NHS ! and there was management paying for Bank Staff when the regular staff would be off earning megabucks elsewhere !!!

All this never comes to the light in the media though does it ? Of course without the NHS the population size in this country would still be that of the early 20 century, and mortality age would still be around 60, so in essence its the best thing since sliced bread, but , its failing have to be highlighted - the abscess has to be lanced.

I know there are a lot of scarring and horrible experiences we have shared here, but I think it is that we would love to see the passion, caring and commitment shown by most shown by all nurses. Ultimately, management and leadership has a lot to do with awful behaviour...if your boss pulled you up on poor attitude, lack of care for the patients...it could be nipped in the bud. When staff, be they doctors, nurses or other staff first start, they are ripe to be moulded into the standards and ethos of the hospital, and their particular work area. So I would definitely point most blame at the culture fostered by the management levels. Set the right tone, consistently enforce the standards you expect. Pair that with supporting your staff and keeping their training up. You'd still have some horrible staff with a bad attitude, but it would be easier to root them out... yes, I'm describing Utopia!
To any of you currently working in the health service, previously working in the health service - I salute you. I couldn't do what you do or did...and you all sound like staff I would report as giving a wonderful experience. Thank you!

When I joined the NHS as a senior systems analyst, I was lucky to get the job because it had been set up as a promotion for an existing employee.

It had to be "seen to be correct" so all the interviewees appeared before a panel of about 10 senior NHS staff. I was there to make up the numbers and make it seem fair. Of course, I knew nothing about this at the time.

One of the medical professors on the panel asked the "nominated" candidate about a particular project that the candidate had been working on. He slated it and said it was a waste of time.

It turned out that it was the professor's brainchild, hence I got the job instead of him. But there was always bad feeling between him and me.

To make matters worse, I later learnt that he had married a friend of mine who I had been madly in love with, but was too shy to let her know. Play the violins now.

When I joined the NHS as a senior systems analyst, I was lucky to get the job because it had been set up as a promotion for an existing employee.

It had to be "seen to be correct" so all the interviewees appeared before a panel of about 10 senior NHS staff. I was there to make up the numbers and make it seem fair. Of course, I knew nothing about this at the time.

One of the medical professors on the panel asked the "nominated" candidate about a particular project that the candidate had been working on. He slated it and said it was a waste of time.

It turned out that it was the professor's brainchild, hence I got the job instead of him. But there was always bad feeling between him and me.

To make matters worse, I later learnt that he had married a friend of mine who I had been madly in love with, but was too shy to let her know. Play the violins now.
You could turn that into a TV drama.

Awww strato :cry: Well I hope your life has been fulfillling ❤️

More about my lost love - - -

My parents had a wide circle of friends, and she was the daughter of one couple, so we had met very occasionally since we were about 15, and I was smitten even then.

When we were both about 17, we started to attend the same college, so I bumped into her a bit more often.

I almost plucked up the courage to ask her to the college dance, but chickened out in the end.

But after it was over, I mentioned it to my parents, and it eventually got back to her, and she said that she would have come with me, and that eventually got back to me.

Bring out the violins again.

Last edited:
More about my lost love - - -

My parents had a wide circle of friends, and she was the daughter of one of them, so we had met very occasionally since we were about 15, and I was smitten even then.

When we were both about 17, we started to attend the same college, so I bumped into her a bit more often.

I almost plucked up the courage to ask her to the college dance, but chickened out in the end.

But after it was over, I mentioned it to my parents, and it eventually got back to her, and she said that she would have come with me, and that eventually got back to me.

Bring out the violins again.

Aw Strato, I’ve only just put it back. 😂 🙏❤️

There are SO many crossroads in life where you decide to go in one direction and not the other, and the other direction may have totally altered your life (such as asking her to the dance instead of not doing so).

Who else had had these crossroads? What were the significant ones?

Another for me was when I left school at 16, thinking that I'd never have to study again.

Wrong!

My boss insisted that I went to college, 1 day of day release, and 3 x 3-hour evenings a week (and one evening was the same as my day release, so I was in college 9am to 9pm, very exhausting. AND I had to also do some correspondence courses, but these were mainly in work.

One of my lecturers was trying to persuade people to apply for a scholarship to go to uni, I think he had a target to meet, so I applied, thinking that would be the end of it.

But I won the scholarship, so ended up going to uni without ever intending to.

I still remember vividly on my first day thinking "What on earth am I doing here"?

There are SO many crossroads in life where you decide to go in one direction and not the other, and the other direction may have totally altered your life (such as asking her to the dance instead of not doing so).

Who else had had these crossroads? What were the significant ones?

Another for me was when I left school at 16, thinking that I'd never have to study again.

Wrong!

My boss insisted that I went to college, 1 day of day release, and 3 x 3-hour evenings a week (and one evening was the same as my day release, so I was in college 9am to 9pm, very exhausting. AND I had to also do some correspondence courses, but these were mainly in work.

One of my lecturers was trying to persuade people to apply for a scholarship to go to uni, I think he had a target to meet, so I applied, thinking that would be the end of it.

But I won the scholarship, so ended up going to uni without ever intending to.

I still remember vividly on my first day thinking "What on earth am I doing here"?

My “crossroad” was me and the husband were going to put off having children after we married for a few years, we then decided against it and started our family early, it was then after we had our eldest son that it was found I had pre cancerous cervical cells, so for the following two years I had laser, biopsies and colposcopies within an inch of my life, literally. We were told that if we wanted another child we’d have to start straight away because they’d have to start treatment and couldn’t put it off much longer, which we did and had our youngest. Turns out it was CIN-3 the stage before cancer, so was given a hysterectomy at 28. I wouldn’t have had a smear at 22 but they routinely did it after birth at your six week check up so my crossroad is, if we wouldn’t have decided to have our children early, I wouldn’t be here with all you amazing people today, my lovely Forum Buddies 🙏❤️🙏 scary hey. 😳

Latest posts

Back