Just not getting on with Honora pearls...

ArtDeco

VIP Shopper
I think there must be something wrong with me :confused: !! In the last few weeks I've ordered three items from Honora, my first purchases from this range. The first was a necklace that was supposed to be black but was undeniably blue/green, sent that back and QVC to be fair classed it as faulty (perhaps sent a teal by mistake) and refunded the price and P&P both ways. The other items have been fine - good quality, very competitive price, can't complain. Yet one by one I've found myself sending them back. I always thought I was a pearl lover but for some reason these just didn't 'get me', if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm just not in a pearl place? It seems that everyone in the Western hemisphere absolutely loves Honora so I'm now wondering what's wrong with meeeeee...anyone else uninspired? Reasurrance most welcome.

aragorn0130

VIP Shopper
I love Honora but if you're not that keen on them and it's pearls you want, I know someone else that I've just discovered has some very nice pearls (as well as all her other jewels and beads) - Beading Belle!!!! Shen would make you something that might be more to your liking?

ArtDeco

VIP Shopper
I love Honora but if you're not that keen on them and it's pearls you want, I know someone else that I've just discovered has some very nice pearls (as well as all her other jewels and beads) - Beading Belle!!!! Shen would make you something that might be more to your liking?
Thanks very much for that, keep hearing about Beading Belle! I think though I'm just not in a pearl place, am finding myself attracted to overblown uber-fashionable ginormous necklaces that are evidently inappropriate for a woman of my years. Am hoping I'll revert back to the classic style of pearls once my mid-life crisis is done with. :blush:

SuziQ

I do like Honora and have a few bits, but recently I found a lovely pearl pendant my first husband bought, back in 1980. When I put that pearl next to my honora ones, there was just no comparison with the beauty and lustre of the pearl I have had for 30 years-it's hard to describe but it just looked so superior. I do like the floating pearl necklace, and I have a very beautiful pearl string with a pearl and gem stone enhancer I wore to my second wedding which is very unusual and drew loads of admiring comments, but I tink I am now more realistic about Honora and see them for what they are-fairly cheap alternatives to the really beautiful expensive pearls.

Maybe pearls just aren't your thing though?

mariecat

Thanks very much for that, keep hearing about Beading Belle! I think though I'm just not in a pearl place, am finding myself attracted to overblown uber-fashionable ginormous necklaces that are evidently inappropriate for a woman of my years. Am hoping I'll revert back to the classic style of pearls once my mid-life crisis is done with. :blush:
Maybe you can resolve this by bringing together your two impulses: in M&S I saw some huge big round fake pearls in an 'endless' style (no clasp) necklace that were also a nice length neither too short nor too long (@ 60/70cm) for 15 quid. Sometimes, the pristine roundness of nice fake pearls do it for me!! I think out of all the gemstones, pearls can be very well done as fakes. :nod:

mariecat

Oh, and further ArtDeco: I can totally understand where you're at on this because I'm in the same place myself!! By the way, the M&S necklace has pearls of grape size rather than ping-pong ball size (to be more precise re my use of the word 'huge' to describe them) and looked good. Failing that, I have found with pearls that I'm really more happy with them as bracelets rather than necklaces, and any size of pearl works on a bracelet!! I don't know what it is, but as a 'woman of a certain age', I do find that 'overblown' necklaces are problematical, I feel nothing suits me unless I stick to delicate unobtrusive chains or small beads (I have a Lola Rose mookite baby heart necklace with small beads which looks good).

clevercat

VIP Shopper
I have some Honora pieces, nothing like as many as some forum members, which I love and wear a lot but have not bought anything for ages. I've been wondering why not and it seems to date from returning a couple of items I was very disappointed with some time ago. I just feel the quality is not quite the same somehow and maybe the designs/colours don't appeal to me at present. Anyway you are not alone Artdeco.

silversequin

I like Honora and think they are good value, but I also own a salt water pearl necklace which is lovely. I do love pearls, loved them even when I was really young and would like some Keshi ones. Just go with how you feel Art Deco, I think jewellery is an emotional purchase, I know that I fall in love with pieces and can equally fall out again!

rosielinks

VIP Shopper
I know what you mean. I used to love Honora pearls and always purchased something from the range each year. The last few times Ralph's been on now, I have not been tempted at all. I am quite surprised and a little disappointed. The problem for me is that I am finding that the colours - indigo, cherry etc are too intense for pearls and make them seem like shiny beads rather than pearls. I also think that the ringed, coin and potato-shaped ones are often so irregular they look damaged and inferior. In the past, Honora seemed to do more white or grey pearls - often with good quality silver chains. These were so pretty and feminine. There are less of them now.
I did have a thing for large, chunky necklaces until I realised that they just don't suit me and tend to overwhelm me and what I am wearing.
Just go for what you fancy. Don't be swayed by others. We are all individuals.

ArtDeco

VIP Shopper
Thanks all for your reassuring feedback! Having put a bit more thought into it, I've concluded that whilst I love pearls in principle, I don't seem to in practice! I've only got two items of pearl jewellery - a classic cream Akoya strand and a pair of Tahitian studs (the latter were the QVC ones from a few years ago that were ridiculously low priced, under £60 I think.) Whilst I wear the earrings tons I don't seem to find many occassions for the necklace. Should have borne this in mind before I started buying Honora as today I've had to do Special Delivery on one return which cost over a fiver, grrr :down: Still, I'll know for the future. Mariecat, I think I know the necklace you refer to, have seen it online but not in my local teeny M&S, might look into that further, thanks for the tip. Am sooo into the grey agate ring I received from QVC today though...totally failed to f.a.r.t. on that one...

boffy

VIP Shopper
colour of pearls are important too!

pearls can look a bit garish if the size and colour and even leagnth are not right.

white i have found is too stark for me and i adore the black ringed ones which are all lovely and round the shape is really important to me.

some of the peachy colours i think are softer to wear than white or the black.
:wave:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Maurabax

Members online

AdBlock Detected

Thank you for visiting ShoppingTelly.com

We get it, advertisements are annoying, however without them this forum would cease to exist.

Members of ShoppingTelly.com can go TOTALLY AD FREE, VIP LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP is just £10!

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks