Just not getting on with Honora pearls...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

ArtDeco

Registered Shopper
I think there must be something wrong with me :confused: !! In the last few weeks I've ordered three items from Honora, my first purchases from this range. The first was a necklace that was supposed to be black but was undeniably blue/green, sent that back and QVC to be fair classed it as faulty (perhaps sent a teal by mistake) and refunded the price and P&P both ways. The other items have been fine - good quality, very competitive price, can't complain. Yet one by one I've found myself sending them back. I always thought I was a pearl lover but for some reason these just didn't 'get me', if you know what I mean. Maybe I'm just not in a pearl place? It seems that everyone in the Western hemisphere absolutely loves Honora so I'm now wondering what's wrong with meeeeee...anyone else uninspired? Reasurrance most welcome.

I love Honora but if you're not that keen on them and it's pearls you want, I know someone else that I've just discovered has some very nice pearls (as well as all her other jewels and beads) - Beading Belle!!!! Shen would make you something that might be more to your liking?

I love Honora but if you're not that keen on them and it's pearls you want, I know someone else that I've just discovered has some very nice pearls (as well as all her other jewels and beads) - Beading Belle!!!! Shen would make you something that might be more to your liking?

Thanks very much for that, keep hearing about Beading Belle! I think though I'm just not in a pearl place, am finding myself attracted to overblown uber-fashionable ginormous necklaces that are evidently inappropriate for a woman of my years. Am hoping I'll revert back to the classic style of pearls once my mid-life crisis is done with. :blush:

I do like Honora and have a few bits, but recently I found a lovely pearl pendant my first husband bought, back in 1980. When I put that pearl next to my honora ones, there was just no comparison with the beauty and lustre of the pearl I have had for 30 years-it's hard to describe but it just looked so superior. I do like the floating pearl necklace, and I have a very beautiful pearl string with a pearl and gem stone enhancer I wore to my second wedding which is very unusual and drew loads of admiring comments, but I tink I am now more realistic about Honora and see them for what they are-fairly cheap alternatives to the really beautiful expensive pearls.

Maybe pearls just aren't your thing though?

Thanks very much for that, keep hearing about Beading Belle! I think though I'm just not in a pearl place, am finding myself attracted to overblown uber-fashionable ginormous necklaces that are evidently inappropriate for a woman of my years. Am hoping I'll revert back to the classic style of pearls once my mid-life crisis is done with. :blush:

Maybe you can resolve this by bringing together your two impulses: in M&S I saw some huge big round fake pearls in an 'endless' style (no clasp) necklace that were also a nice length neither too short nor too long (@ 60/70cm) for 15 quid. Sometimes, the pristine roundness of nice fake pearls do it for me!! I think out of all the gemstones, pearls can be very well done as fakes. :nod:

Oh, and further ArtDeco: I can totally understand where you're at on this because I'm in the same place myself!! By the way, the M&S necklace has pearls of grape size rather than ping-pong ball size (to be more precise re my use of the word 'huge' to describe them) and looked good. Failing that, I have found with pearls that I'm really more happy with them as bracelets rather than necklaces, and any size of pearl works on a bracelet!! I don't know what it is, but as a 'woman of a certain age', I do find that 'overblown' necklaces are problematical, I feel nothing suits me unless I stick to delicate unobtrusive chains or small beads (I have a Lola Rose mookite baby heart necklace with small beads which looks good).

I have some Honora pieces, nothing like as many as some forum members, which I love and wear a lot but have not bought anything for ages. I've been wondering why not and it seems to date from returning a couple of items I was very disappointed with some time ago. I just feel the quality is not quite the same somehow and maybe the designs/colours don't appeal to me at present. Anyway you are not alone Artdeco.

I like Honora and think they are good value, but I also own a salt water pearl necklace which is lovely. I do love pearls, loved them even when I was really young and would like some Keshi ones. Just go with how you feel Art Deco, I think jewellery is an emotional purchase, I know that I fall in love with pieces and can equally fall out again!

I know what you mean. I used to love Honora pearls and always purchased something from the range each year. The last few times Ralph's been on now, I have not been tempted at all. I am quite surprised and a little disappointed. The problem for me is that I am finding that the colours - indigo, cherry etc are too intense for pearls and make them seem like shiny beads rather than pearls. I also think that the ringed, coin and potato-shaped ones are often so irregular they look damaged and inferior. In the past, Honora seemed to do more white or grey pearls - often with good quality silver chains. These were so pretty and feminine. There are less of them now.
I did have a thing for large, chunky necklaces until I realised that they just don't suit me and tend to overwhelm me and what I am wearing.
Just go for what you fancy. Don't be swayed by others. We are all individuals.

Thanks all for your reassuring feedback! Having put a bit more thought into it, I've concluded that whilst I love pearls in principle, I don't seem to in practice! I've only got two items of pearl jewellery - a classic cream Akoya strand and a pair of Tahitian studs (the latter were the QVC ones from a few years ago that were ridiculously low priced, under £60 I think.) Whilst I wear the earrings tons I don't seem to find many occassions for the necklace. Should have borne this in mind before I started buying Honora as today I've had to do Special Delivery on one return which cost over a fiver, grrr :down: Still, I'll know for the future. Mariecat, I think I know the necklace you refer to, have seen it online but not in my local teeny M&S, might look into that further, thanks for the tip. Am sooo into the grey agate ring I received from QVC today though...totally failed to f.a.r.t. on that one...

colour of pearls are important too!

pearls can look a bit garish if the size and colour and even leagnth are not right.

white i have found is too stark for me and i adore the black ringed ones which are all lovely and round the shape is really important to me.

some of the peachy colours i think are softer to wear than white or the black.
:wave:

Latest posts

Back