Kathryn Goldsmith

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I know Niamh is Neeve, and the last one is also the name of an actress, SO PLEASE put me out of my misery, how is it pronounced ????

See ? thats the problem isn't it, naming a child that everyone has difficulty in saying. Up until recently I thought Ghislaine (Maxwell) WAS Gislane, but no, its Gilane according to the tele.
Sur-sha apparently. I‘m not very knowledgeable about actors and actresses, I saw this name in a novel by an Irish writer.

The thing that makes me wince, and I apologise if anyone here has, or has kids with bizarre spellings of regular names. I've met a Serah (Sarah), Liesa (Lisa), Natashia (Natasha), Krystyna (Christina) and on the other end of the spectrum I came across the name Leah which was pronounced Laya - I don't know what these alternative spellings serve to do, other than to confuse the reader and irritate the person who's constantly having to correct other people.
Although I must say I also wince when I see names spelled differently to the norm..eg, Aimee, Chelsee, Symon at least you can actually tell how the name is supposed to sound.

I apologise in advance to for offence, & totally agree. The mark of a moron.

I like Josephine..and I know one and she loves her name too. Going back to the ones where they've got the normal spelling but are pronounced differently...I remember a Karen who said it Kairen, why spell it Karen when she's not called Karen? Don't even get me started on the Aarons who are actually called Arran! Like you say Brissles….a total minefield!

With a dash of pretence, of course.

Can anyone tell I'm 'with' PMT?

Well, shame they couldn't be 'different' and called him Nevada, or Memphis , or Denver, or even Columbus - that's nice ;)
I thought you meant Columbo when I read your comment at first. Can you imagine the affront Mr and Mrs B would have if people thought of their pretentious Brooklyn in the same breath as the bumbling 1970s detective!

I have two great nieces, one named Rubie (I guess Ruby wouldn't do) one called Ieasha (pronounced eye-e-sha) and a great great nephew named Brooklyn ( I know, I know)

Rubie and Ieasha are in their teens and are already bored with having to tell people how to spell their names and there were another two Brooklyns in his nursery class before lockdown.

I thought you meant Columbo when I read your comment at first. Can you imagine the affront Mr and Mrs B would have if people thought of their pretentious Brooklyn in the same breath as the bumbling 1970s detective!
At least the name has given the lad some notoriety because he has done nothing else remarkable except of course the recent engagement!!

It might be ‘cute’ to have a silly name at 4.

not so if you’re 30 and trying to build your career as a barrister, consultant surgeon or banker and need to be taken seriously. Especially a woman.

I entirely agree. The 'classic' and timeless names like Elizabeth, Caroline, or James and Richard will always carry a certain gravitas with particular professions, but I think as the generation with the Jadens and Kloe's get older, they could become the employers of the future so in 50 years or so the Blossom Hill's might be the next Attorney General !

With a ring paid for by daddy...

And everything else, including the house ! Nice work for a 21 year old who has only done a 2 week stint as a 'barista' - to gain work experience :unsure:🤭, and then because he wanted to be a photographer had an internship with one of the worlds top photographers - Rankin, and left - word had it that he couldn't hack it. Mummy got him a job doing a photoshoot for a fashion show, he produced a book of photos that flopped, did a stint on a photography course in New York, and left. And here we are, getting married on other peoples money, and then what? continue to 'play around' at doing something - like his mother. Sorry if this is too critical for some, but I doubt if this will run the course, but it provides plenty of photos for Instgram. Just like his father who looks for the next photo opportunity - it was only a matter of time before he was pictured with Captain Tom and yep, last week there he was, and then it was Kate Garraways turn, offering his services. I just cant abide this family.

When I was a kid I had an Aunt Lettice which should be pronounced Le-Tees but of course coming from a Lancashire mill town everybody pronounced it Lettuce, in fact most people just called her Letty and left it at that.
I bet when she was a child and at school her fellow classmates actually massacred the pronunciation with our thick Lancashire accents. That`s something else parents should consider when naming a child. You get "Elen" instead of Helen, "Murry" instead of Mary, "Ever" instead of Heather and so on.

I love hearing the funny first name/surname combinations...My mum used to work for the dhss and though she'd signed the official secrets act she did tell me a few of the names she'd come across as long as I promised not to pass them on...Of course I didn't. She told me of a Cherry Trollop, a Gladys Christmas and Ophelia Dickie. To be fair to the people they were Mrs, so quite possibly had surnames like Smith or Jones but good for a giggle nonetheless. My mate Tricia ended up with Fisher as a surname which was a bit unfortunate but she has since remarried and has a far more sensible sounding name!

Latest posts

Back