Key Workers?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I live on my own and I'm fine, bits and bobs to do. I do have QVC on during the day mainly as background - I'm finding it particularly cringe-worthy at the mo. Not high risk so I can nip out for few mins. But no time to feel lonely because 3 of my nieces and nephews often text me to check I'm ok, and see if I need any shopping. So sweet of them, but I'm only 64 and I suddenly feel ancient !

My brother can't see his girlfriend at the mo as she's a nurse working extra shufts and lives 10 miles away. I know he's lonely because he's started calling me a couple of times a day. Last night he rang at 9.10pm, and the call finished at 10.42pm ! He says he feels it's surreal, he can't settle to do anything.
I hope your Bro is ok. Sounds like he has a relationship, which is progress from his previous situation (if the same brother).
You are v lucky that your nieces & nephews are sweet. My nephews are 3 lazy turds & haven't visited their Grandparents for years now, despite having cars etc & plenty of cash. One is off work now so has plenty of time. Grrrrrrr. They have to PAY a lad of similar age to help in their garden, as the nephews don't.

I've noticed that with some folks, there is a kinder and more thoughtful side emerging. It's nice to see.

Others, not so much!

As Maya Angelou said to Oprah Winfrey - "My dear, when people show you who they are, why don't you believe them? Why must you be shown 29 times before you can see who they really are? Why can't you get it the first time?"

Kindness, to me, is an under-rated quality. I think when someone is truly kind, they really do switch a light on inside themselves which others can see...

I've noticed that with some folks, there is a kinder and more thoughtful side emerging. It's nice to see.

Others, not so much!

As Maya Angelou said to Oprah Winfrey - "My dear, when people show you who they are, why don't you believe them? Why must you be shown 29 times before you can see who they really are? Why can't you get it the first time?"

Kindness, to me, is an under-rated quality. I think when someone is truly kind, they really do switch a light on inside themselves which others can see...
Being kind is top of my priorities list. When my dad died the celebrant asked my sister & me to write our tributes to him & my final sentence was that he was the kindest person I'd ever known. I'd like to borrow your last sentence for my quotes book.

They are not broadcasting news. They are not selling essential goods. They are certainly not entertaining.

But somehow making any sort of telly seems exempt.
What I am really confused by (though I shouldn't be, given the nature of the beast), is that they are asking people not to use the Call Centre, because of reduced staff (fair enough), but they are still keeping to the same 'shipping timeframes'. Thus as always Warehouse Staff are expected to just 'grin and bear it'. We have ASOS massive warehouse near us (the negative in the press is only a tiny tiny representation believe you me, as I have several people that I know that work there), it is grim, no Social Distancing, no nothing. It can of course be argued, that the vast majority of people won't get it (yes any death is grim, but you have to bear in mind that there is 66 million people living in this country) and they still need jobs and the money etc. It is a terrible 'catch-22', these people need to work (ASOS aren't apparently sticking to the SSP or 80% pay rules (no surprise there), but on the other-hand there is no help given. It is the same with couriers, though actually they are probably in a better position to refuse work, as whilst they may be some 'be moaners' on the website, they can (and are able to do so) Social Distance. as they can just leave package/s in a safe place. COVID-19 is a killer yes, it will also kill the economy, but you have to remember that in the midst of all this, there is a huge swathe of people trying to get on with their 'normal' everyday life. This can't go on for ever, just remember Whitney 'one moment in time', this is all this is!

I know nothing about ASOS and have never been on their website. Are they known as a bad employer?

Why are these people working on Q they are not essential or front line workers. My daughter is a front line worker (staff nurse) in every sense of the word caring for people with this virus. These presenters are so full of their own self importance they think they are indispensable.

Loads of people are working in TV, radio and the media though, aren't they? If we strip it down to essentials, it would be nothing but News. Mind you, in the distant past (in the days of Ted Heath) when there was a massive strike and we had those three hour electricity cuts which rotated by area, didn't they close the TV down early? I can remember being made to work in another building where they had rigged up emergency lights which resembled lanterns!! It was awful. Of course in those days there were only about three TV channels to close!

Loads of people are working in TV, radio and the media though, aren't they? If we strip it down to essentials, it would be nothing but News. Mind you, in the distant past (in the days of Ted Heath) when there was a massive strike and we had those three hour electricity cuts which rotated by area, didn't they close the TV down early? I can remember being made to work in another building where they had rigged up emergency lights which resembled lanterns!! It was awful. Of course in those days there were only about three TV channels to close!
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news again but they are talking about power cuts again this time. Now that will be really hard to cope with, it’s one thing to buy the food but storage is more important. not so much TV for me but music and radio. At least you can read your Kindle in the dark!!

If you are correct about possible power cuts, that’ll cause problems with the insurance companies when we all claim for ruined food when our freezers go off.

I cannot imagine how people who have never gone without will cope with that. I don't think I would find it very easy that's for sure.

I can remember having to go down to the electricity showroom (pre internet) to look at the schedules of which streets would be affected at which time. And arranging to stay elsewhere! Seriously it was really miserable except for when you could go to the pub and escape your three hour cut. We cant even do that now! I'm glad it has been refuted.

It was a real bugger if your home slot and work slot coincided (you had to work during daylight hours, heat or no heat) so you couldn’t take advantage of it at home.

Well, I predicted power cuts would happen a few weeks ago, but logically if we're all dropping like flies then stands to sense that workers at the Grid aren't going to be immune, so I've already ordered a couple of camping lamps from Amazon. Just thinking ahead.

In my case I've got about 200 torches!

I collect them, but don't have enough batteries for them all.

I've got them scattered around in most rooms so I can lay my hands on them even in the dark.

the only sanity I have is my garden and we have been blessed with some good weather...will start some bedding from seeds as it looks like there won't be any plants with the garden centres closing down

Latest posts

Back