Keys Randomly Stop Working

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

donna255

ShoppingTelly Supporter
So about a week ago my 5 and 6 keys just stopped working on my Compaq CQ58 laptop bought in 2012. I have always had a Compaq and just really like them but no longer made so it will have to be an HP I suppose.

I removed the keys and cleaned under them and they worked for a very short period. Watched a youtube video. So I put the on-screen keyboard and started using when the keys decided not to work. It is totally weird they work for a few hours then the same problem. Oh, it seems to be happening when I have not used the laptop for a few hours, then bang they start working again. This morning the other top row number keys did not work until I used the on-screen keyboard and then suddenly started working again. I am thinking of connection problem not sending the signal?

I have no number lock the number keys are only on the top row under some function keys.

Now, I did ask on another forum but they are all very very tech-savvy and I am the anxious sort. One suggested buying a new keyboard available quite cheaply on eBay and getting someone to fit it but said they did not know how much it would cost to do this. Or do it myself, not happening seems you need special screwdrivers I have the bog-standard ones.

So, is it worth buying a keyboard and getting one of the companies who repair to fit it?

Or is it something that perhaps can be fixed without a new keyboard?

Or just wait for the sales in January and buy a new laptop?

Oh, I hate tablets as I am a typist so I really need a proper keyboard.

Any advice, please?

So about a week ago my 5 and 6 keys just stopped working on my Compaq CQ58 laptop bought in 2012. I have always had a Compaq and just really like them but no longer made so it will have to be an HP I suppose.

I removed the keys and cleaned under them and they worked for a very short period. Watched a youtube video. So I put the on-screen keyboard and started using when the keys decided not to work. It is totally weird they work for a few hours then the same problem. Oh, it seems to be happening when I have not used the laptop for a few hours, then bang they start working again. This morning the other top row number keys did not work until I used the on-screen keyboard and then suddenly started working again. I am thinking of connection problem not sending the signal?

I have no number lock the number keys are only on the top row under some function keys.

Now, I did ask on another forum but they are all very very tech-savvy and I am the anxious sort. One suggested buying a new keyboard available quite cheaply on eBay and getting someone to fit it but said they did not know how much it would cost to do this. Or do it myself, not happening seems you need special screwdrivers I have the bog-standard ones.

So, is it worth buying a keyboard and getting one of the companies who repair to fit it?

Any advice, please?

If you have usb ports you can get a full keyboard. Or you could go for just the numbers as you can get extenders for that.

Any advice, please?

Have you updated the drivers?

I have never had anything done to the laptop since I bought it new.

I do updates from Microsoft etc but never done anything else.

As I said anxious and never really tried to do anything seems to have gotten worse as I get older don't like fiddly too much in case I break it.

I sit with a laptop on my knee on the sofa I do not have a table so using an extra keyboard not really on.

I have never had anything done to the laptop since I bought it new.

I do updates from Microsoft etc but never done anything else.

As I said anxious and never really tried to do anything seems to have gotten worse as I get older don't like fiddly too much in case I break it.

I sit with a laptop on my knee on the sofa I do not have a table so using an extra keyboard not really on.

I would go to the following link and see if you need to update drivers etc....

https://support.hp.com/gb-en/products/laptops/compaq-notebooks

Okay Sazza, I had a quick look and will do it this evening.

So do I update all the drives?

There is a list firmware etc or just the BOS one?

I did have a HP icon which did a quick diagnostic each week but HP stopped supporting Compaq so it never did anything even when I tried just doing it myself.

Okay Sazza, I had a quick look and will do it this evening.

So do I update all the drives?

There is a list firmware etc or just the BOS one?

I did have a HP icon which did a quick diagnostic each week but HP stopped supporting Compaq so it never did anything even when I tried just doing it myself.

Main thing is you want to see if there is keyboard firmware that needs updated.

The HP forum is very good, maybe do a post on there as they are really helpful.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/bd-p/Hardware

Hi Sazza still randomly not working.

Now I got a reply from the HP community mod and he said to replace the keyboard! As it sounded like a keyboard failure as the laptop is over 7 years old this can happen.

So I do know someone who actually can do this for me and will not charge if I get the keyboard.:smile: He does work with computers as a hobby but it will be after Xmas. He is up to his neck with people asking if he can do stuff at this time.

Latest posts

Back