Kochblume TSV 24/05/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

But not everyone can afford to buy these smart gadgets, let alone pay the subscriptions, know how to work them or how to fix them if there are glitches, which there always are. With me, it's always a long phone call to my tech-savvy daughter for smartphone issues, though I'm okay on the computer. I have a printer which isn't worth the money because I have the same issue as strato, expensive ink drying up because of lack of use. And I've ruined a printer before now putting other cheaper brands of ink in so I won't do that again. I think the solution is a cheap-as-chips black and white printer.

On another note, lambananas, I thought you were from Liverpool where the lambanana statue is!

The same thing happened to my printer, not long after I bought about 20 ink cartridges for it online :(

I've tried to fix it, but couldn't, and all the local computer shops won't fix printers.

So at the moment I'm trying to buy a new printer that will use the same type of cartridges so they won't be wasted.

And that is the 2nd printer I've had to scrap for the same reason. You are supposed to use them at least once a week, or at least switch them on. Every time you switch them on, they use ink. When I actually wanted to print something, all the ink had been used up, so you can't win!

BTW I haven't even found just a PRINTER you can buy, they are all 3 in 1 these days.
I feel your pain...up to only a few months ago I was looking for exactly that - a small printer with no bells and whistles that you just hook up to the computer and you can print off documents and tickets etc. I know they're a thing 'cause we used to have one at work attached to the computer we can use in the rest area. It's long gone, maybe it broke, or they were no longer able to buy ink cartridges for it.
When I used to do a lot of arty/crafty stuff and projects for work - I needed one that did everything, but those days are gone. I've gone through quite a few in my time, tried the Kodak one that purported to run on much cheaper ink - Yes it was cheaper, but what they didn't tell you was it runs out in doubly quick so a false economy and to add insult to injury, it was one of those that won't let you carry on printing if one of the cartridges runs out. Totally ridiculous in that you need to print off a black and white document, but because your colour cartridge has run out, no can do. A lot of printers are like that I've found. After much searching I found that the Canon Pixma range allows you to print just so long as there's some ink left, so I bought the cheapest one, and so far so good.

But not everyone can afford to buy these smart gadgets, let alone pay the subscriptions, know how to work them or how to fix them if there are glitches, which there always are. With me, it's always a long phone call to my tech-savvy daughter for smartphone issues, though I'm okay on the computer. I have a printer which isn't worth the money because I have the same issue as strato, expensive ink drying up because of lack of use. And I've ruined a printer before now putting other cheaper brands of ink in so I won't do that again. I think the solution is a cheap-as-chips black and white printer.

On another note, lambananas, I thought you were from Liverpool where the lambanana statue is!
For me, it's not so much about the money, but I have literally next to zero savvy when it comes to getting the most out of these gadgets. Alexa sits on the side in the kitchen and tells us what the weather's gonna be like, times pizzas in the oven, and tells us the odd joke when prompted - when there are people out there who can get her to turn the lights on and off, sort out playlists, make the tea (well almost), but sadly, I'm not one of these people!

For me, it's not so much about the money, but I have literally next to zero savvy when it comes to getting the most out of these gadgets. Alexa sits on the side in the kitchen and tells us what the weather's gonna be like, times pizzas in the oven, and tells us the odd joke when prompted - when there are people out there who can get her to turn the lights on and off, sort out playlists, make the tea (well almost), but sadly, I'm not one of these people!
We have an Alexa Echo 8 in the kitchen and in the living room. The living room one turns a standard light and the tv on and off. I set her with reminders for daily tasks for my paperwork etc. She reminds us of our social events. I ask her for recipes. I tell her what to add to my shopping list so if I’m out and go to the shops I can see what I need to buy on my mobileand then tick it off.
I use the kitchen one as a radio and set up reminders whilst cooking. I can also drop in to my friends’ alexas to have a chat. We check the weather forecast ‘Alexa when is it next going to rain?’
Not sure I could manage without them now and the Alexa app on my phone.

We have an Alexa Echo 8 in the kitchen and in the living room. The living room one turns a standard light and the tv on and off. I set her with reminders for daily tasks for my paperwork etc. She reminds us of our social events. I ask her for recipes. I tell her what to add to my shopping list so if I’m out and go to the shops I can see what I need to buy on my mobileand then tick it off.
I use the kitchen one as a radio and set up reminders whilst cooking. I can also drop in to my friends’ alexas to have a chat. We check the weather forecast ‘Alexa when is it next going to rain?’
Not sure I could manage without them now and the Alexa app on my phone.
But just to make it clear, you need EXTRA accessories to turn things on and off.

I am finding that mine are becoming more and more frustrating with mistaking what I say and doing something entirely different. I often end up shouting at them in frustration.

My theory for this is that the voice recognition is NOT done inside the Alexa. Instead, your voice is sent 1000's of miles (probably to the USA) where the translation and response is then sent back to yours. And as more and more people get them, the translation server is getting more and more overloaded.

Does anyone else find this, that they are definitely getting worse? They were fine years ago.

I won't buy Alexa because I don't know where my data is being sent and stored but more to the point because someone somewhere is also able to listen in to what I'm saying and doing in my own home, without my consent. It's also better for the planet if I physically get up out of my chair and do things myself.

I won't buy Alexa because I don't know where my data is being sent and stored but more to the point because someone somewhere is also able to listen in to what I'm saying and doing in my own home, without my consent. It's also better for the planet if I physically get up out of my chair and do things myself.
I set reminders and alarms for all sorts of things, but I always say it is for radio, so Big Brother doesn't know what they are actually for.

But just to make it clear, you need EXTRA accessories to turn things on and off.

I am finding that mine are becoming more and more frustrating with mistaking what I say and doing something entirely different. I often end up shouting at them in frustration.

My theory for this is that the voice recognition is NOT done inside the Alexa. Instead, your voice is sent 1000's of miles (probably to the USA) where the translation and response is then sent back to yours. And as more and more people get them, the translation server is getting more and more overloaded.

Does anyone else find this, that they are definitely getting worse? They were fine years ago.
yes you are right we have smart plugs as well to operate lights and tv. Most of the time Alexa recognises my voice though today she wrote Fisheries when I said beneficiaries. I am surprised at the speed she does respond

i hate Tech I really do. It takes me ages and ages to get used to new Gadgets BUT the payoff when you do is worth the effort.When a laptop or phone or Printer or TV breaks down its dreadful retuning or reading he manual and getting used to something new

I have an interview by Zoom this week and then another one by Teams. No idea what I'm doing even with tonight's practice run with Mr CC. I look so weird on a laptop screen there's probably no chance of me getting the job anyway :LOL: I feel at a disadvantage as I've not worked in an office now for 4 years and so I'm not up to speed on the latest tech and I won't know how to fix it if the connection goes wrong. Just have to see how it goes.

CC

😂😂😂😂.. afraid not.. from South Wales but one of my daughters lives there (or thereabouts. Geography not one of my strong points, obviously 😂) PS the 'L' is an 'I' and yes, I am a bit bananas

Calling for help from my forum friends.

I need a small salad spinner. Mr L hates all plastic kitchen gadgets so it needs to be compact and do the job really well to earn its place as my ear will be burning every time he goes to the cupboard.

Its decades since I owned one as I buy prepackaged ones but I’m growing my own now but getting the leaves dried is a bit of a pain (first world problem I know!)

yep but i dont have a printer or anything as the last one i had i so seldomly used it, the ink dried & went in the bin & swore i would never buy another printer ever as thats another piece of tech i dont need
It's also a total rip off. They sell home printers cheap, usually with half the amount of ink as the refills, as that's where they make their money. I once replaced a printer because it was cheaper than buying the ink
Well burger me! The Q is selling an Epson printer which saves 90% of printing costs with refillable tanks!

Calling for help from my forum friends.

I need a small salad spinner. Mr L hates all plastic kitchen gadgets so it needs to be compact and do the job really well to earn its place as my ear will be burning every time he goes to the cupboard.

Its decades since I owned one as I buy prepackaged ones but I’m growing my own now but getting the leaves dried is a bit of a pain (first world problem I know!)
Every time I go into a charity shop they are crammed full with salad spinners.

Yes, I am exaggerating, but I do usually see one - - obviously people like to give them away.

yes you are right we have smart plugs as well to operate lights and tv. Most of the time Alexa recognises my voice though today she wrote Fisheries when I said beneficiaries. I am surprised at the speed she does respond
I have a smart plug on the Alexa in my main room.

So when I go to bed I tell it to turn off.

Can you see the snag?

I can't turn it back on again, I have to use the bedroom Alexa to do that?

I haven’t bothered with plugs that Alexa turns off. My friend has them and when her internet went down, Alexa was on strike so she had to turn things on and off herself. 😉

I haven’t bothered with plugs that Alexa turns off. My friend has them and when her internet went down, Alexa was on strike so she had to turn things on and off herself. 😉
Some of my plugs are difficult to get to eg behind cupboards.

But it is good to turn my bedroom light off by voice BUT more often than not, that is the time it decides to update itself and goes "dead" with flashing lights circling around.

So just as I'm ready to sleep I have to get back out of bed and go to the opposite side of the room to turn it off manually. GRRRR!

Latest posts

Back