L’Occitane TSV 21/11/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

My mum used Youth Dew as well, too oriental & strong for me.
Ive yet to find a modern perfume that I like. I still use the “ classics” that I discovered in my teens & twenties, luckily I stocked up so still have quite a few of the old bottles. Arpege, Chanel No5, Rochas Femme & Madame Rochas, the old Miss Dior ( not impressed with the modern interpretation) Caleche, Diorama, some of the Guerlains eg Vol de Nuit & L’Heure Bleu, less keen on Mitsouko though I have a couple of old bottles & have always really disliked Shalimar. Used to have some that a hard or impossible to get now Quelques Fleurs, Fidji but the one I mourn the loss of most was the absolutely beautiful Ecusson by Jean D’Albret.

L’Aimant was one of my first perfumes when I was a student along with Revlon Intimate & some of the Goya ones, Entice was particularly lovely. Even Max Factor produced some really quite nice ones, Electrique, Hypnotique, Primitif.
Coty L'aimant poor woman Chanel no.5 total rip off. Wore both for years

That is correct, boffy. It was said women who could not afford No5 wear L'aimant.

My mum used Youth Dew as well, too oriental & strong for me.
Ive yet to find a modern perfume that I like. I still use the “ classics” that I discovered in my teens & twenties, luckily I stocked up so still have quite a few of the old bottles. Arpege, Chanel No5, Rochas Femme & Madame Rochas, the old Miss Dior ( not impressed with the modern interpretation) Caleche, Diorama, some of the Guerlains eg Vol de Nuit & L’Heure Bleu, less keen on Mitsouko though I have a couple of old bottles & have always really disliked Shalimar. Used to have some that a hard or impossible to get now Quelques Fleurs, Fidji but the one I mourn the loss of most was the absolutely beautiful Ecusson by Jean D’Albret.

L’Aimant was one of my first perfumes when I was a student along with Revlon Intimate & some of the Goya ones, Entice was particularly lovely. Even Max Factor produced some really quite nice ones, Electrique, Hypnotique, Primitif.
I love the old classic Guerlain's never had a problem with Mitsouko, and it was only when I joined Perfume Of Life way back in late 90s. Suddenly people saying they could not wear it I was really surprised and discovered it either loved you or was a total horror. I always called it the Queen B*tch loved you or turned nasty. Poor Apres L'Ondee is very, very different now. Used to be Heliotrope rich now just a really lovely iris perfume. I own many of the perfumes you mention. The Carons are gorgeous but reformulated so very different now.

My mum wore Pagan, always had a small bottle in her handbag and I used to dab it on. Tweed was an everyday one she wore. The first real perfume I bought with my pocket money was Coty Wild Musk in the oil version and that for me is the only version. A friend in the US actually sent me a bottle of the oil some years back, and I still use it. Tigress I used to drown myself in and Aqua Manda!

My Mum used to treat herself to one bottle per year of Youth Dew. She used to buy it on our pre Christmas trip to Manchester when as a young teenager I`d get a new dress and shoes and some bargain basement makeup from Woolies as my Christmas presents. I can still smell the large cosmetic floor of the big stores. You walked in through the doors and were hit with a wonderful smell of many brands al competing with each other and elegant sales staff behind the different counters.
My Mum only ever used a dab of Nivea cream followed by a bit of Max Factor face powder and a slick of lipstick and I recall on one visit one of the sales staff approaching my Mum with a jar of very expensive face cream and attempting to get Mum to try it on the back of her hand. Mum told her politely no thank you but the woman kept on coming and I thought my Mum who wasn`t the most patient of people and who suffered fools badly, was about to deck her if she didn`t back off.
Back in the 60`s I think the sales staff must have been on very low wages which they topped up via commission on what they sold. Mum went directly to the Estee Lauder counter like a woman on a mission and I loved spraying, dabbing, touching etc as much as I could get my hands on because as a fashion conscious teen with a love of makeup it was like cosmetic heaven to me but I couldn`t afford to shop there until I left school and started work. Like many of us back then we "tipped up" our weekly wage packets to our parents and were given a portion of it back as our spends. Never a fortune but it at least meant I could save some money and do my pre Christmas shop out of my own pocket and buy what I wanted.
Another perfume my Mum loved but was given it by my Aunt, was Charles Of The Ritz. My Aunt was married to someone who was considered to be quite well off and he was a biggish noise in the Freemasons and every Christmas they held a ball and the ladies and gents all got a gift. My Aunt would give my Mum one of the ladies gifts which were left over and one year it was Charles Of The Ritz coffret. She saved it for very special occasions and it took her a long long time to use it all and she never bought it again after it was all gone. She said perfume was a luxury and that she was quite happy with her one bottle of Youth Dew per year.
The rest of the time she didn`t wear perfume except when she was going out with my Dad but she used Yardley talc everyday and would decant it from the tin into a pink bowl she had on her dressing table and it held a large fluffy puff and had a lid which had a fancy handle on it. Her bedroom always smelled of April Violets or Honeysuckle which were her favourite talcs but her dressing table was frequently covered with a fine film of the stuff because she wafted the puff everywhere.
She also carried a 4711 solid stick cologne in her handbag because she swore wiping it across your forehead helped ease headaches. Before discovering Youth Dew she used Soir De Paris dab on perfume which came in little bottles and when a bottle was empty she`d leave it in her handbags or drawers. I still have one of her bags which still has the empty perfume bottle in it and the bag still smells beautiful even though she died in 1987.

My Mum used to treat herself to one bottle per year of Youth Dew. She used to buy it on our pre Christmas trip to Manchester when as a young teenager I`d get a new dress and shoes and some bargain basement makeup from Woolies as my Christmas presents. I can still smell the large cosmetic floor of the big stores. You walked in through the doors and were hit with a wonderful smell of many brands al competing with each other and elegant sales staff behind the different counters.
My Mum only ever used a dab of Nivea cream followed by a bit of Max Factor face powder and a slick of lipstick and I recall on one visit one of the sales staff approaching my Mum with a jar of very expensive face cream and attempting to get Mum to try it on the back of her hand. Mum told her politely no thank you but the woman kept on coming and I thought my Mum who wasn`t the most patient of people and who suffered fools badly, was about to deck her if she didn`t back off.
Back in the 60`s I think the sales staff must have been on very low wages which they topped up via commission on what they sold. Mum went directly to the Estee Lauder counter like a woman on a mission and I loved spraying, dabbing, touching etc as much as I could get my hands on because as a fashion conscious teen with a love of makeup it was like cosmetic heaven to me but I couldn`t afford to shop there until I left school and started work. Like many of us back then we "tipped up" our weekly wage packets to our parents and were given a portion of it back as our spends. Never a fortune but it at least meant I could save some money and do my pre Christmas shop out of my own pocket and buy what I wanted.
Another perfume my Mum loved but was given it by my Aunt, was Charles Of The Ritz. My Aunt was married to someone who was considered to be quite well off and he was a biggish noise in the Freemasons and every Christmas they held a ball and the ladies and gents all got a gift. My Aunt would give my Mum one of the ladies gifts which were left over and one year it was Charles Of The Ritz coffret. She saved it for very special occasions and it took her a long long time to use it all and she never bought it again after it was all gone. She said perfume was a luxury and that she was quite happy with her one bottle of Youth Dew per year.
The rest of the time she didn`t wear perfume except when she was going out with my Dad but she used Yardley talc everyday and would decant it from the tin into a pink bowl she had on her dressing table and it held a large fluffy puff and had a lid which had a fancy handle on it. Her bedroom always smelled of April Violets or Honeysuckle which were her favourite talcs but her dressing table was frequently covered with a fine film of the stuff because she wafted the puff everywhere.
She also carried a 4711 solid stick cologne in her handbag because she swore wiping it across your forehead helped ease headaches. Before discovering Youth Dew she used Soir De Paris dab on perfume which came in little bottles and when a bottle was empty she`d leave it in her handbags or drawers. I still have one of her bags which still has the empty perfume bottle in it and the bag still smells beautiful even though she died in 1987.
That’s so lovely Vienna. Beautiful memories 🥰

Oh this brought back so many memories for me, Vienna. I too used to go into Manchester with my mother . Kendals cosmetic floor was one of my favourite places on earth 😁
We’d visit them all, Lewis’s, Affleck & Browns, lunch was always Kardomah . At the end we’d always walk back along Tib Street to look at the animals in the pet shop windows ( no longer allowed now thank goodness) & have tea in one of those little cafes that were down the stairs under the shops along Corporation Street before catching the train at Victoria .
I hadn’t visited Manchester for years till recently, as have lived much further north for years, & was amazed at how much it has changed

What lovely memoriea @Vienna. Thats really made me smile. 😊

I`ve visited Caldey Island and the monks who live there make perfumes from flowers which grow on the island. They have a substantial range of lavender perfumes, sprays and perfume oils. The money they make from selling their perfumes plus other items keeps the Monastery afloat and you can buy from the island itself or from a shop they have in Tenby. It`s about 17 years since I was last there and I recall trying several of their perfumes but can`t recall which ones. The price includes mainland uk delivery.

I'm with Vienna about Bronnley's English Fern, lovely on hot summer days. I've had many favourites from Max Factor's Citrus Musk & Aqua Manda to L'Occitane's Neroli & Shay & Blue's Framboise Noir. I now buy my perfumes from Eden Perfumes, a family company in Brighton that produces copies of many of the well known ones along with their own blends.

She also carried a 4711 solid stick cologne in her handbag because she swore wiping it across your forehead helped ease headaches. Before discovering Youth Dew she used Soir De Paris dab on perfume which came in little bottles and when a bottle was empty she`d leave it in her handbags or drawers. I still have one of her bags which still has the empty perfume bottle in it and the bag still smells beautiful even though she died in
Ah yes 4711 cologne. My gran, who was my surrogate mum, wore that. I have some tucked away so that when I need a hug I can take it out, smell it and there she is for me.

I didn't order the TSV but did order the handcream trio. It's been with Hermes since 19 November. Anyone else still in the same boat?

I didn't order the TSV but did order the handcream trio. It's been with Hermes since 19 November. Anyone else still in the same boat?
I ordered two tsvs, one arrived yesterday but no sign of the other one, according to Hermes they got in Monday but its been delayed, as long as it turns up I don't mind, but its unusual for them

Back in the 80's we all wore Giorgio of Beverly Hills, Anais Anais & Lou Lou . When I smelled these recently, to me they were "old lady" and really quite unpleasant. Funnily enough though I managed to pick up a bottle of Le Jardin a few years back when I started going to my 80's music festival, and that was still quite pleasant! I used to wear a lot of the Avon ones, Odyssey was my favourite. God knows if I'd still like it today, but sadly it's long been discontinued, so I'll never know!

I really disliked the Cacherel fragrances, they were everywhere in the same way Charlie was. The one I dreaded my mum wearing was Ma griffe by Carven... I struggled to inhale when she wore it because it smelled so foul to me. I wonder how I would react to it now?

Latest posts

Back