Le Creuset TSV 15/2/21

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

The good thing about these pans is that they are PFOA free.

Really recommend watching Dark Waters (Netflix) It's about the DuPont Teflon scandal and the use of PFOAs https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dark_Waters_(2019_film)

I'll never buy anything that uses Teflon - wish I had known this before
I am a bit tight I like things to last forever specially if its a major investment. Therefore I don't do "non stick" all my new pans are steel. They look fantastic for decades as you can clean them properly with a scouring pan. Non stick is not non stick as when something sticks you can't scrub it as the plastic comes away with the food.

I've often wondered exactly what made non-stick non-stick. It surely wasn't anything nature intended, and hearing about PFOA from JFM - thank you - has just confirmed my worst suspicions. I won't buy Teflon again, either, not that I need to. I don't know what's in my Circulon frying pans since they're hard anodyzed aluminium but they're non-stick, and as Boffy said in another thread, I love my Stellar stainless steel pans, an expensive buy at the time but an investment that's lasted decades and they still look new.
I am a bit tight I like things to last forever specially if its a major investment. Therefore I don't do "non stick" all my new pans are steel. They look fantastic for decades as you can clean them properly with a scouring pan. Non stick is not non stick as when something sticks you can't scrub it as the plastic comes away with the food.
https://www.gourmetcookware.co.uk/Stellar-1000-8-Piece-Pan-Set-S1D1

I've often wondered exactly what made non-stick non-stick. It surely wasn't anything nature intended, and hearing about PFOA from JFM - thank you - has just confirmed my worst suspicions. I won't buy Teflon again, either, not that I need to. I don't know what's in my Circulon frying pans since they're hard anodyzed aluminium but they're non-stick, and as Boffy said in another thread, I love my Stellar stainless steel pans, an expensive buy at the time but an investment that's lasted decades and they still look new.

https://www.gourmetcookware.co.uk/Stellar-1000-8-Piece-Pan-Set-S1D1
I get my pans from TK MAXX /Homesense and they will outlive me. Some only cost me £15.00 and they are strong with no flaking plastic to worry about. They look spotless decades later.

The TSV looks cheap. If I'm going to buy Le Creuset I want it in those bright colours and the chunky style that makes it different from every other pan/casserole dish.

CC
I disagree with the first bit, as I think they look really well made and sturdy but I completely and utterly agree with your last comment - If I'm gonna pay Le Crueset prices I want it to look like Le Crueset!
Oh has a set of cast iron pans, and they're brilliant, I'm not going to say they were cheap because they weren't. He's had them for years and they're still going strong, but the point of difference is, is that they've all got detachable handles so they can go into the oven or under the grill, not only that these handles aren't metal so they don't conduct the heat. He decided that he wanted to buy a couple of non stick alluminium pans because the cast iron ones are large and heavy, so he bought a couple from Meyer (Good brand) and I think he paid about £55 for the pair. Again the handles are covered so they don't over heat, the non stick is excellent and they have a good weight and balance to them. I watched the TSV presentation and heard them say you can put these pans under the grill or in the oven..Firstly you'd need a sodding big oven to accomodate the long handles, and as for the grill, ours is part of the oven and can only be operated with the door closed, so that wouldn't work, and as for the being able to use metal utensils - I mean why would you want to? I certainly wouldn't jump to pay nearly £180 in order to do that. Hey p&p's free though!;)

I still have a few of the older type a bit heavy for me but they dont have non stick so last forever

Would be really interested in this.
I bought a set of their mugs from QVC last November and the best I have used. I have gone back to using all my old Le Creuset pots I've had for about 30 years - didn't realise they were so easy to clean.
how do you clean yours, jfm? I shove mine in the dishy, but the handles hate me for it.

I have pots and pans from every make under the sun and the best frying pan and griddle, which I use several time a week, is from Marks.

i really liked Green Pans but the recent purchases were rubbish.

I bought a set of Mayer pans about 30 years ago and whilst I’ve got rid of some (Mr L makes me get rid of them if I dare to buy another) and those left are still great.

Worst buys - a full set of Circulon (sp) when the first came out so megabucks and a full set of Raymond Blanc ones, again expensive, both rubbish.

One of the original Le Creuset over 40 years ago, hated it.

My Meyer pans are still going strong as are my Le Creuset caste iron casseroles all bought many years ago. Won’t be buying anymore pans for a long time because in addition to those I have bought my daughters relocate any they no longer need to my kitchen! Thanks girls!

Last edited:
There is going to be a Mother's day offer in Aldi on 7th March
iron cast casserole dish pink - special edition

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    16.7 KB · Views: 155
Dishwasher and have been fine. Not noticed an issue with the handles... Love that they keep my coffee hot :)
Do you put the saucepans with the wooden handles in the dishy? I don't have the mugs - I like bone china for mugs.

Do you put the saucepans with the wooden handles in the dishy? I don't have the mugs - I like bone china for mugs.
I have a big Le C casserole pot that I have had for about 30 years - Norwood. Quick rinse under the tap and some washing up liquid, soak for a couple of mins, quick wipe round and still like new - I don't put those in the DW. I use once a week. I have gone for the pans to try them out for the whole 60 days. I looked through my pan drawer - and some old scratched teflon ones. Given the issues with PFOAs am binning them - even though they have already done the damage. I'm hoping the new ones will still be in use when I pop my clogs

I was just thinking about a set of Pyrex saucepans I had when I was first married. Whilst I have dishes and bowls for 50 years which I still use I remember the saucepans being a bit rubbish. I can’t remember now but there must have been some sort of a privet thingy to enable you to use it on an electronic hob.

I have a big Le C casserole pot that I have had for about 30 years - Norwood. Quick rinse under the tap and some washing up liquid, soak for a couple of mins, quick wipe round and still like new - I don't put those in the DW. I use once a week. I have gone for the pans to try them out for the whole 60 days. I looked through my pan drawer - and some old scratched teflon ones. Given the issues with PFOAs am binning them - even though they have already done the damage. I'm hoping the new ones will still be in use when I pop my clogs
I have 3 Le C cast iron pans, and although the inside of 2 come up clean and shiny, one always comes up dull, even though clean.

PS I don't have a dishwasher, so they have always been washed by hand.

Also in Lidl from 25th February
I don't bother with Mothering Sunday, however, as it usually falls around the dates of my mum's birthday & parents' wedding anniversary it was always included in a big celebration by her, she wouldn't have appreciated a casserole dish 😒

Latest posts

Back