Let’s be thankful 🥲

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’m surprised that Andi Peters hasn’t jumped on to the baking bandwagon as well. Like Alison, he seems to be on the television every five minutes.

Ahh, the old Quality Street/Family Circle tin. How I longed for one of those. I distinctly remember a Rhubarb Fool going the journey when I tripped up and fell over in a flurry of school blazer, knee high socks and Clarks shoes.

Showing my age now, but in the mid-60's when we had cookery lessons, (incidentally, satchels were ditched in favour of shopping bags !!) we used to carry our ingredients and resulting bakes home, in a gondola basket - with a little pink fake rose on !!!! Thought we were the coolest Mod in our navy pac-a-macs and hush puppy shoes.

S057.png

Showing my age now, but in the mid-60's when we had cookery lessons, (incidentally, satchels were ditched in favour of shopping bags !!) we used to carry our ingredients and resulting bakes home, in a gondola basket - with a little pink fake rose on !!!! Thought we were the coolest Mod in our navy pac-a-macs and hush puppy shoes.

S057.png
Denim skirts as well.
I remember being in our City when a policeman stopped us to warn us about our purses being on the top of our gondola baskets.🤭

Crikey yes I had one of those baskets too and trying to carry a pyrex dish filled with whatever we`d made in cookery class and aboard a crowded school bus was a nightmare. It was ok when we made small cakes, biscuits or something which was dry but our domestic science teacher frequently made us negotiate coq au vin , rice pudding and other things which usually ended up spilling from the dish into the tea towel wrapped around it in the basket.
She even insisted that all homes should have a stock pot to which left over meat, chicken or veg would be added daily, the stock boiled heavily and then used to make soup or add to gravy or add to a casserole. I once commented to my Mum that Mrs S said we should have a stock pot and my Mum being a plain talking Lancashire lass who worked in a mill when she left school, looked at me and declared exactly what Mrs S could do with her stockpot !

Crikey yes I had one of those baskets too and trying to carry a pyrex dish filled with whatever we`d made in cookery class and aboard a crowded school bus was a nightmare. It was ok when we made small cakes, biscuits or something which was dry but our domestic science teacher frequently made us negotiate coq au vin , rice pudding and other things which usually ended up spilling from the dish into the tea towel wrapped around it in the basket.
She even insisted that all homes should have a stock pot to which left over meat, chicken or veg would be added daily, the stock boiled heavily and then used to make soup or add to gravy or add to a casserole. I once commented to my Mum that Mrs S said we should have a stock pot and my Mum being a plain talking Lancashire lass who worked in a mill when she left school, looked at me and declared exactly what Mrs S could do with her stockpot !
I remember a lot of us tipping our home made delicacies out of the upstairs school bus windows. I remember a couple of us naughty girls tipping stew out on top of overtaking vehicles! I also remember for a dare throwing chunks of Eve's pudding into people's gardens when we were walking home. Early teens were a stupid age for me and my group of friends, all trying to be 'ard and daring, luckily we all (well most of us) grew up into decent human beings and good cooks!

S057.png
I was part of that era! Apparently my Father wasn’t keen to see me coming down the Street with the Lentil soup I had made.My Bacon & Egg Pie was legendary though with rough puff pastry. I passed my GCE in Housecraft, had to write out the plan of our meal with the preparation methods and cooking times.It served me well although being on my own now my cooking skills are a bit rusty.

Latest posts

Back