Lighting?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Meeshoo

Registered Shopper
I'm really struggling when watching GemsTV at the moment because of the lighting. Has anybody else noticed how everything (and I don't mean the graphics) look overly pink and awash with bright colours - and when you see the presenter from afar, the bright white light shining on their hand is blinding?

The problem I have and this is whether watching on TV or on my laptop is that it is so difficult to judge colours accurately. Just look at the photos below. The one on the left is a screen shot, the gem looks like Kunzite set in rose gold BUT you can see from the still shot that it's actually a yellowish quartz set in yellow gold.

GemsTV colour.jpg

Yes I agree, the spot lighting is excessive on both channels and has the effect of bleaching out the colours of the gemstones. What with the clash of on screen colours, poor selection of useful text sizing, I wish they had left well alone! What they really need to change is the ancient godawful music and sort out the over excessive camera close-ups of presenters and their fingers. I think you can guess that I am now less than impressed with it all!

And then there's the website........:doh:

Sacha I have to agree that the changes are not for the better. I know it takes time to get used to new graphics etc but if you're watching online I absolutely HATE the large default screen size and I immediately make it small again! Trying to find anything on the website is problematic AND then factor in that you can't judge the colour of the gemstones on air well enough and it really is off-putting. The lighting is ok on Jewellery Maker but the two GemsTV channels are dreadful.

Steve/John, please can you look at the lighting? As you know, when buying coloured gemstones, colour is everything! If the buyer can't judge that accurately I reckon that they'll be a lot more items being returned due to nasty surprises!

Apparently the Gems sets are being changed soon and think there is some studio swapping happening too.

It's not the sets though, it's the lighting. I do hope that they sort that out at the same time. Let's hope so!

I remember I mention a year or more ago as to why on the wide shot the presenters hand looked so white, Barry did reply but went into reasons but it didn't really answer that key point. Looks to me like they are trying to make dull jewellery brighter.

PJ.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?ueumq1

I don't think those shiny white desks are purely decorative. Definitely causes an upward light bounce. xxxx

PJ you're right of course. If you take a dull, cloudy, grey diamond and put it under bright white lights it sparkles like mad. Take it out of that environment and you see it for the fish tank gravel it really it! The same with coloured stones. If you shine a bright light on them they look more vivid and the transparency (typically) improves.

I understand that GemsTV want to sell gemstones and so of course they will use optimal lighting and I (sort of) don't have a problem with that. I have a real problem when the lighting is so deficient that the viewer can't even identify the gemstone without reading the graphics! Seriously I can name gemstones across a room normally but I'm really struggling when watching GemsTV because the colours are so distorted. It's the worst I've ever seen it.

Years ago, GemsTV had ths problem (although not as bad) and I remember they invested heavily and changed the lighting but it seems that we've gone 40 steps back. It's only the two GemsTV channels. If you look at the presenters hands and their clothes you can see how unnatural they look. Turn over to Jewellery Maker and everything is more normal looking.

I keep banging on about the excessive close-up camera work, but it's all done for a purpose like the over intensive lighting! Just to make the gemstones and diamonds look better than they really are, ie to add that false vividness of colour and clarity as Meesh mentions above.

The cameras used to stand back off the presenter and show much more of a full picture, now it's all elbows upwards shots and then straight to a close up of a piece that shows only half a finger. How often in real life do you ever get that close to your hand, you'd go cross eyed first - makes me feel queasy just thinking about it! Next shot is in the light box, which only ever turns through 180degs, never allowing us to see the back of a piece or how hollowed out the band on a ring might be and also again intensifying the colours.

It all comes across as something rather less than honest....imho of course. :sad:

Last edited:
Sacha, I agree with all your post except the bit about close ups. For me, close ups are of paramount importance because you can get a real "feel" for the gem. What you can't get and I suspect is what is frustrating you, is the real life perspective?

The light box is supposed to replicate daylight and so it can be useful but, depending on the background colour (typically black for GemsTV) it makes the gem colour more vivid again. A grey or white background would be better (preferably grey).

I really do understand all the reasons and I wouldn't care if I thought that the lighting was "almost" representational of what I might see but it's not. Lynn looked almost fluorescent last night (her skin) and her pink/red dress was almost the same colour as her skin! Clearly not right!

The real life perspective

Sacha, I agree with all your post except the bit about close ups. For me, close ups are of paramount importance because you can get a real "feel" for the gem. What you can't get and I suspect is what is frustrating you, is the real life perspective?

The light box is supposed to replicate daylight and so it can be useful but, depending on the background colour (typically black for GemsTV) it makes the gem colour more vivid again. A grey or white background would be better (preferably grey).

I really do understand all the reasons and I wouldn't care if I thought that the lighting was "almost" representational of what I might see but it's not. Lynn looked almost fluorescent last night (her skin) and her pink/red dress was almost the same colour as her skin! Clearly not right!

Now that's what I mean, couldn't find the right words meself. :blush: Watching the jewellery shows on QVC, they seem to have the best blend of camera work, a combination of close ups and slightly more distant 'real life' shots of the models wearing the pieces and not just super magnified body parts!!

Its all a question of balance....I used to have no quibble with GemsTV filming or the screen graphics, but now......well. :wonder:

I have thought for a long time the wide shot of the presenter revealed just how much light they put on the area they show the items in. Barry kindly went into great detail why this was the case but I did work experience at the BBC and a local theatre so for me (who knows a bit but by no means a lot) it didn't ring true. I think they are just trying to gets the max sparkle from the rings.

Least they don't hide it by bathing the presenter in the same light but I think it would be too expensive and be like a sun bed / sauna for the hosts.

PJ

Latest posts

Back