Low Tech?

• Thread starter Deleted member 21838
  • Start date
ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ll Just Annoy My Mum Again killed the credibility of the Tech shows. Complete style over substance. The same empty patter repeated and repeated. I genuinely cannot recall one useful thing on a QVC technology show he ever said or did other than ‘Goodnight‘ and then locking the door behind him as he left the studio. At least Goodwin put a shift in.

Probably why so few ever leave. Mediocrity is embraced there

The presentation is poor nothing changes,job for life because nobody ever tells them to buck their ideas up.
Last night the woman on with old helmet hair had no idea of sizes and at least said one time just look on the website?
What do these people do besides just turning up!
Mediocrity is rife and rewarded at QVC, time to get rid of most of them👍

The presenters are more interested in talking about themselves these days, the product is secondary, truth be known they'd rather not bother themselves with the finer details unless they can link it in some way to something they do, or have done!

People don't usually stay decades in tough, questioning media environments. You imagine with QVC, like everything else, their HR world stopped in the tea trolley work place of 1975, and that makes it eternally comfortable for so many average to poor performers to stay. A questioning head of broadcasting would look at a guy like Lee Hohbein, for example, and maybe think 'this bloke has been saying the same thing in the same way for over ten years - isn't it time he upped his game a bit or did one?' But those running the presentation have probably been there decades themselves. Things get bought, despite, rather than because of the selling techniques employed and how. Why change a nice, cosy environment they no doubt think accordingly.

i sent them an E-mail regarding the latest Sketchers TSV asking why did they not feature a mans version of the new slip in trainers as they have mens version on their website. it might be one way to get mens fashion on a bit more to test the water. no reply from QVC yet
my cynical OH says men won't pay P&P just to try something on & find they don't fit then pay to send it back...thats a couple of pints wasted ha ha

i sent them an E-mail regarding the latest Sketchers TSV asking why did they not feature a mans version of the new slip in trainers as they have mens version on their website. it might be one way to get mens fashion on a bit more to test the water. no reply from QVC yet
my cynical OH says men won't pay P&P just to try something on & find they don't fit then pay to send it back...thats a couple of pints wasted ha ha
if your own about these https://www.qvcuk.com/Skechers-Mens-DLux-Walker-Orford-Slip-ins-Trainer.product.196472.html?sc=SRCH they did show them in the 9pm & 12am hour only for about 5 mins but they did show them cause i wrote them down as notes for future reference

Generally men are not such enthusiastic shoppers and skeedaddle once their target is located and purchased. Unfortunately women in general are much more likely to linger and browse.
So when selling to women, there are generally greater odds of more than one purchase being made.
Tech purchases are more likely to be one-off purchases, and Q needs a constant stream of money rolling in.. . And anyone who has bought anything remotely techie which has any accessories or add-ons that need to be repurchased knows how expensive and frustrating that can be with Q... assuming they have any in stock.

In the past (that I've been a viewer for) they had some really interesting techie kitchen stuff like the Illy home barista set-up, as well as the usual Bose shows.

Generally men are not such enthusiastic shoppers and skeedaddle once their target is located and purchased. Unfortunately women in general are much more likely to linger and browse.
So when selling to women, there are generally greater odds of more than one purchase being made.
Tech purchases are more likely to be one-off purchases, and Q needs a constant stream of money rolling in.. . And anyone who has bought anything remotely techie which has any accessories or add-ons that need to be repurchased knows how expensive and frustrating that can be with Q... assuming they have any in stock.

In the past (that I've been a viewer for) they had some really interesting techie kitchen stuff like the Illy home barista set-up, as well as the usual Bose shows.
To be honest I hate shopping of any kind. I have friends who spend hours in our local shopping centre just " mooching about".
I don't even like food shopping much prefer to get Sainsbury's to deliver.

To be honest I hate shopping of any kind. I have friends who spend hours in our local shopping centre just " mooching about".
I don't even like food shopping much prefer to get Sainsbury's to deliver.
I used to enjoy browsing but not now. I will do a 2 hour round trip to town by bus if I need something, and just buy that one item and come straight back home, don't even look in any other shops.

I used to enjoy browsing but not now. I will do a 2 hour round trip to town by bus if I need something, and just buy that one item and come straight back home, don't even look in any other shops.
I've just come across this, and it seemed relevant to my post about the dreaded high street (as QVC call it) - - - -

PROGRESS
I don’t go down the High Street now
there’s nothing for me there.
It’s full of shops that do your nails
or cut and colour hair.
and neither does me wife.
What used to be a thriving hub
is now devoid of life.
They’re building shops way out of town
there’s nowhere else to go.
The High Street I’m afraid to say
has hit an all-time low.
The High Street used to sing and dance,
at least it did to me.
But now it’s sadly out of step
and painfully off-key.
But way back in the heyday
when the High Street was the king,
oh you could spend all day down there
and buy just anything!
But now the king has lost his crown,
no longer does he reign.
He’s been dethroned by hyper stores
and supermarket chains.
Just like a vampire in the night,
they swooped down from the sky.
They forced the people out of town
and sucked the High Streets dry.
We used to have so many shops
for all that we might need.
For furniture for shoes and clothes
and cakes or books to read.
Butchers bakers fishmongers
sold fresh and wholesome stuff.
And though our families were not rich
we all ate well enough.
But now they’ve gone, it’s progress see
yes all have been replaced
by takeaways and coffee shops
with all their plastic waste!
With automatic checkout tills
appearing everywhere.
No conversation, pleasantries
or anecdotes to share.
I heard it said that money talks
at first, I had me doubts.
And I was right it does not talk,
that money ****** shouts!
It’s always been the same of course
it’s human nature see.
We have to travel with the times
that’s how it has to be.
And kids today they say I’m old
and I of course agree.
They say the future is for them
and not the likes of me.
My answer flutters on the breeze,
a flag that’s flown half-mast.
“I wouldn’t want your future kids...
I much prefer my past.”
Julie Axford

I've just come across this, and it seemed relevant to my post about the dreaded high street (as QVC call it) - - - -

PROGRESS
there’s nothing for me there.
It’s full of shops that do your nails
or cut and colour hair.
and neither does me wife.
What used to be a thriving hub
is now devoid of life.
They’re building shops way out of town
there’s nowhere else to go.
The High Street I’m afraid to say
has hit an all-time low.
The High Street used to sing and dance,
at least it did to me.
But now it’s sadly out of step
and painfully off-key.
But way back in the heyday
when the High Street was the king,
oh you could spend all day down there
and buy just anything!
But now the king has lost his crown,
no longer does he reign.
He’s been dethroned by hyper stores
and supermarket chains.
Just like a vampire in the night,
they swooped down from the sky.
They forced the people out of town
and sucked the High Streets dry.
We used to have so many shops
for all that we might need.
For furniture for shoes and clothes
and cakes or books to read.
Butchers bakers fishmongers
sold fresh and wholesome stuff.
And though our families were not rich
we all ate well enough.
But now they’ve gone, it’s progress see
yes all have been replaced
by takeaways and coffee shops
with all their plastic waste!
With automatic checkout tills
appearing everywhere.
No conversation, pleasantries
or anecdotes to share.
I heard it said that money talks
at first, I had me doubts.
And I was right it does not talk,
that money ****** shouts!
It’s always been the same of course
it’s human nature see.
We have to travel with the times
that’s how it has to be.
And kids today they say I’m old
and I of course agree.
They say the future is for them
and not the likes of me.
My answer flutters on the breeze,
a flag that’s flown half-mast.
“I wouldn’t want your future kids...
I much prefer my past.”
Julie Axford
Love this, thanks for posting. It totally sums up the uk high street in general! Though recently I've noticed that among all the coffee shops and nail bars a disproportionate number of dessert parlours cropping up. In our main shopping street there's at least 3 of them, then in the next street there's another one and in the other major shopping area of the town 2 more have cropped up and there's only 4 doors between them! They're all in large premesis and decked out in the same garish American style glitz. I guess they're primarily there for the dad to take the kids when mum's having her nails done. They never look particularly busy, and who goes out for dessert fgs?!

Love this, thanks for posting. It totally sums up the uk high street in general! Though recently I've noticed that among all the coffee shops and nail bars a disproportionate number of dessert parlours cropping up. In our main shopping street there's at least 3 of them, then in the next street there's another one and in the other major shopping area of the town 2 more have cropped up and there's only 4 doors between them! They're all in large premesis and decked out in the same garish American style glitz. I guess they're primarily there for the dad to take the kids when mum's having her nails done. They never look particularly busy, and who goes out for dessert fgs?!
I agree about the proliferation of dessert parlours (near me, it’s ice-cream, waffles and crepes, all piled high with extra cream, candy, chocolate and sauces). I have a very sweet tooth and adore ice-cream (not that bothered about waffles and crepes, fortunately) but I avoid the parlours. I think the worst thing is, it’s not necessarily people going there after a meal for “afters” but an extra between-meals “treat” - ie an additional serving of high-sugar “empty“ calories in the middle of the day. Apparently, some of these creations contain over 1500 calories!! 😲

Are they still doing technology programmes to any serious degree? Rarely, if ever, have I spotted any of late. A bonus in some ways, as Let Me Walk You and Talk You Through (but I never do) Let’s Ring My Mum…Lee is not on either, but nonetheless the relative rarity now of technology shows only reinforces the lack of anything much to attract male viewers. Yes, I know tech stuff is for both sexes, but unless you enjoy wearing dresses, make-up and nail polish while holding a trowel and some seeds, there is very little if anything now for a bloke to look to buy for himself.

In years gone by they were relatively serious in how to present technology programmes, and did have some decent stuff, in depth presented by the up himself at times but generally knowledgeable Tim Goodwin, along with accompanying, credible experts for him to talk the items through with. Then that do the bare minimum ‘comedian’ replaced him and the entire process was dumbed down and rushed through with buzz phrases and platitudes and not much else. A pity really how men in general continue to be pushed away by QVC.
I love my tech but QVC's offerings are mediocre in the extreme. I occasionally dip into the tech hour but I see the same items repeated endlessly. After seeing the same items repeated in 3 separate programmes I lost all hope. If I do find something interesting there you can usually find it cheaper (or the same price) elsewhere online without paying the exhorbitant p&p charges. QVC's postal charges have been creeping up and some of them are scandalous. A couple of years ago I purchased a heated clothes dryer from QVC that was shipped straight from Lakeland. Lakeland do not charge postage on this item but QVC did, I think it was £6.99. I wrote to customer service at QVC and asked them why they were charging £6.99 to send the item out when it comes direct from Lakeland and they DON'T charge for postage. Needless to say I never got a reply. The high cost of postage frequently stops me buying an item from QVC.

I agree about the proliferation of dessert parlours (near me, it’s ice-cream, waffles and crepes, all piled high with extra cream, candy, chocolate and sauces). I have a very sweet tooth and adore ice-cream (not that bothered about waffles and crepes, fortunately) but I avoid the parlours. I think the worst thing is, it’s not necessarily people going there after a meal for “afters” but an extra between-meals “treat” - ie an additional serving of high-sugar “empty“ calories in the middle of the day. Apparently, some of these creations contain over 1500 calories!! 😲
As I said earlier there's 2 dessert parlours within 4 doors of one another on one of our shopping streets, but yesterday I noticed on the other side of the road yet another one has popped up. I decided I'd check just how many dedicated dessert parlours our town has and the answer is 17. That is ****** ridiculous. If you want to buy something that isn't an item of clothing, a cup of coffee or a waffle and ice cream don't visit Brighton!

Latest posts

Back