Luxform 3-headed lamp-post not working

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

At the bottom of the review page for this lamp post the Q answered a question about the guarantee by stating that the product is covered by 'our 6 month QVC guarantee'. Does this mean that Luxform doesn't provide one? I'd have thought that all companies had to guarantee their own products & that it would have had greater clout than one of a third party.

QVC have become shocking with faulty goods and they used to be very good (years ago). Mum has taken things that break back to Aldi after months of use and they exchange or refund with no argument at all. She also returned a tablet to John Lewis that one of the nephews had chucked a can of pop over by mistake (and broke the laptop!) and they also replaced it. QVC should just send a courier to collect the broken lamp post and offer to refund or replace.

CC

At the bottom of the review page for this lamp post the Q answered a question about the guarantee by stating that the product is covered by 'our 6 month QVC guarantee'. Does this mean that Luxform doesn't provide one? I'd have thought that all companies had to guarantee their own products & that it would have had greater clout than one of a third party.
It's not the QVC 6 month guarantee, it is consumer law.

They are implying that they are sooo good offering the guarantee when in fact they have no choice.

6 months is not enough under consumer law for something of this price bracket. You are covered for up to 6 years within reason under the sale of goods act. 6 months is imo breaking the law. insist on a refund and dont take no for an answer. also dont buy anything like this from QVC again. I found thee lamppost items dreadful quality

It's not the QVC 6 month guarantee, it is consumer law.

They are implying that they are sooo good offering the guarantee when in fact they have no choice.
Definitely. I don't understand why the manufacturer/supplier guarantee or warranty is sometimes mentioned, I'd have thought it was mandatory for all products like this one.

QVC have become shocking with faulty goods and they used to be very good (years ago). Mum has taken things that break back to Aldi after months of use and they exchange or refund with no argument at all. She also returned a tablet to John Lewis that one of the nephews had chucked a can of pop over by mistake (and broke the laptop!) and they also replaced it. QVC should just send a courier to collect the broken lamp post and offer to refund or replace.

CC
That was kind of them as accidental damage isn't covered by a guarantee. Of course, if it was insured that would be different.

I worked in customer service and we wouldn't have exchanged, refunded or repaired an item that was damaged by the customer. Most guarantees are for a minimum of one year, so would have offered a refund or exchange for the faulty light though, as a repair would be too costly. And yes, we offered refunds and exchanges beyond the legal minimum.

On that note, many years ago, a customer brought back a brush head for a refund (no receipt). She didn't take well to this being refused. We likely would have offered a voucher or exchange, if it wasn't for the fact that we didn't sell that item. She attacked my colleague with it. My colleague raised her hand to protect herself and ended up in A&E. Luckily her hand was bruised but no broken bones.

That was kind of them as accidental damage isn't covered by a guarantee. Of course, if it was insured that would be different.

I worked in customer service and we wouldn't have exchanged, refunded or repaired an item that was damaged by the customer. Most guarantees are for a minimum of one year, so would have offered a refund or exchange for the faulty light though, as a repair would be too costly. And yes, we offered refunds and exchanges beyond the legal minimum.

On that note, many years ago, a customer brought back a brush head for a refund (no receipt). She didn't take well to this being refused. We likely would have offered a voucher or exchange, if it wasn't for the fact that we didn't sell that item. She attacked my colleague with it. My colleague raised her hand to protect herself and ended up in A&E. Luckily her hand was bruised but no broken bones.
In my store if the customer hasn't got the receipt we offer an exchange or a refund on a gift card to be spent later, but only the price that is on the system on the day.

A couple of times I've had a customer insist 'I only bought it last week' when I can't remember ever stocking it, and when scanned it's on file as aged stock (more that four years old) with a price of10p.

They've obviously found it in the back of a cupboard, they look quite shocked when I ask them sweetly if they would like an exchange or shall I load 10p onto a gift card.

In my store if the customer hasn't got the receipt we offer an exchange or a refund on a gift card to be spent later, but only the price that is on the system on the day.

A couple of times I've had a customer insist 'I only bought it last week' when I can't remember ever stocking it, and when scanned it's on file as aged stock (more that four years old) with a price of10p.

They've obviously found it in the back of a cupboard, they look quite shocked when I ask them sweetly if they would like an exchange or shall I load 10p onto a gift card.
I could tell more stories. Most customers were fab and always tried to help people but... One of the funniest was an angry lady bringing back an item wanting a refund. It was ok until she pulled back her mouth to show a gap where her partial dentures should have been. The item was denture fixing cream. Her complaint was that she COULDN'T get her teeth out at night! (Despite proving she could by the toothy gap she showed me). I'm ashamed to say that my colleague and I left her at the desk for several minutes while we had fits of the giggles behind the fixtures.

Yes, we refunded the customer even though she didn't have her receipt. We owed her that much for being so unprofessional.

(It says that this domain name is for sale, so the U.K. one might be “safer.”)

In case you decide to contact them.
Thanks. I did contact them and they were actually quite helpful and suggested a couple of things to try, but before I did anything the non-working lamp has decided to work again!

Thanks. I did contact them and they were actually quite helpful and suggested a couple of things to try, but before I did anything the non-working lamp has decided to work again!
That’s “Murphy’s Law” for you. 🙄 But at least, if it gives up the ghost again, you know you can contact them and get a resolution. 🙂

I bought this on 20th April 2020, so almost a year ago, but one of the lamps has stopped working. I don't know how long the guarantee is for this. Do you think I can return for a refund? The bulbs are hardwired, so cannot be changed.
If it’s any help, it’s highly unlikely you’ll get any joy. I’ve just had to return a luxfiem lamppost/bird feeder/plant pot. I was so happy having this but it blew over and smashed. When I contacted QVC, baring in mind this was a new product, they couldn’t get any replacement parts. They come from Holland. Also, when I rang luxfiem in the uk, they said that QVC had the monopoly on products with them. They were overwhelmed with people needing parts but couldn’t help as QVC have stuff made exclusively for them. So we have no chance of spare parts.

I don't buy solar items from QVC and I have bought dozens of items In the past decade or so. The shops on the high street sell far better solar items that are much brighter, have a better Guarantee and all have lasted years not months.

If it’s any help, it’s highly unlikely you’ll get any joy. I’ve just had to return a luxfiem lamppost/bird feeder/plant pot. I was so happy having this but it blew over and smashed. When I contacted QVC, baring in mind this was a new product, they couldn’t get any replacement parts. They come from Holland. Also, when I rang luxfiem in the uk, they said that QVC had the monopoly on products with them. They were overwhelmed with people needing parts but couldn’t help as QVC have stuff made exclusively for them. So we have no chance of spare parts.
looks like made for QVC is indeed the "kiss of death" not a recommendation

I don't buy solar items from QVC and I have bought dozens of items In the past decade or so. The shops on the high street sell far better solar items that are much brighter, have a better Guarantee and all have lasted years not months.
Hope you don’t mind me asking ?

can you recommend a shop/website for good solar items please ? Which is your “go-to” ?

can you recommend a shop/website for good solar items please ? Which is your “go-to” ?
I like Sainsburys they sell lots of garden bits like Bumble Bees that are solar and small lanterns for £5.00. Homebase sell loads of bits like critters, even a cottage with a door with a staircase that lights up in the night. They do string rice lights that cost from £5 all solar powered. The quality is superb. B&Q have black lanterns old fashioned style with amber lights. I put these in a shrub on the twigs look amazing

I’ve been lucky with the few Luxform ones that I’ve bought from QVC. They’re all still intact and working and I’ve had them for a few years. I won’t buy any more though because it seems that the quality has gone downhill in some cases.

However, the best ones that I’ve got are some solar flame lights that I bought from Ideal World a couple of years ago. They were on offer and were £40 for four of them, so cheaper than the ones that QVC do which are battery operated. The lights come on even after gloomy winter days and stay on for hours and are so effective that a neighbour asked if they were wired in 😳. Another neighbour texted me, on the first evening that they were in use, to say that he’d come out to check it wasn’t a fire. 😂

I like Sainsburys they sell lots of garden bits like Bumble Bees that are solar and small lanterns for £5.00. Homebase sell loads of bits like critters, even a cottage with a door with a staircase that lights up in the night. They do string rice lights that cost from £5 all solar powered. The quality is superb. B&Q have black lanterns old fashioned style with amber lights. I put these in a shrub on the twigs look amazing
Really helpful thank you.

Latest posts

Back