Make up recommendations

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

merryone

Registered Shopper
Now I'm the first to comment on the spectacular amount of money that people waste over on QVC, but seriously I really could've done with their 60 day mbg recently. I don't like to wear make up if I can help it, but I wear it to work, so as not to frighten the horses so to speak and on days/evenings out. My everyday make up is from a brown palette. I have a massive set of really cheap "Sunkissed" brand make up I bought from Superdrug and it consists of lots of little quad palettes and single blusher, highlighter etc. I used the Jerome Alexander magic minerals as a base and I'm happy with the look. Thing is it's a proper faff in the mornings fiddling around with these little containers grabbing a separate mirror/brushes etc. So I decided to splash out on a pricey set that came in a larger mirrored compact with its own brush. I found one that contained my beloved browns and muted shades, plus a number of what I'd call mermaid colours ( they really used to suit me) Not any more, since my skin has aged I look terrible, so I was disappointed there. I also bought a fairly pricey tinted moisturiser thinking it would give me a lovely dewy base to build upon...Wrong! You needed to use tons for it to actually show up and then it looked overdone. The browns in the set looked nice in the palette but went on too dark and really patchily, the light colours were too light, so it was a choice between aunt sally from worzel gummidge or death warmed up! As for the set of blusher/highlighter I bought - I looked as though I'd been in a fight. After a fair few attempts with this make up and literally having to wipe it off and re do it with my old make up, I actually threw the whole lot in the bin! That is £80's worth of make up in the bin. Couldn't really donate used make up to a charity shop, having it knocking around was pointless. I'm obviously gonna stick with the cheap stuff I've been using but if anyone can recommend a brand of make up that goes on smoothly and comes in a sturdy mirrored compact I'll be very grateful. I'm gonna stick with the earthy brown palette as blues, greens, purples and smoky eye really don't look good on me any more.
I feel really bad for throwing it away and I don't want to make the same mistake again!
I was hoping to look like Jo Jo over on Qurio who's make up is spectacular! Yes she's over 10 years younger than me which helps, but I looked more like "Oh no" than Jo jo!

Seriously though, the cheapo Sunkissed stuff is pretty decent make up, it goes on smoothly, it doesn't flake everywhere, the colours are true but sadly they are packaged cheaply and come in teeny tiny flimsy little cases. I'm pretty sure if they were put in posh packaging with all the trimmings they'd hold up against some of the posh brands.

1656853367899.png
This whole set is £20 from JD Williams, throw the lip glosses and brushes in the bin, but the nail polishes are passable, the mascara's surprisingly ok and the rest of the stuff is brilliant. But like I say I would like a more "joined up" solution to my make up needs. If I can't find anything then I'll stick with this teenagers stocking filler stuff!

I like a good quality base I use it cosmetics (bought from boots) I set with a translucent powder powder (I look for talc free. Then a boots natural collection bronzer and blush. I have not bought any mascara since be for lockdown will get one for a family event I have upcoming. I keep it very simple and natural, anything else and I look like a panto dame!

I like a good quality base I use it cosmetics (bought from boots) I set with a translucent powder powder (I look for talc free. Then a boots natural collection bronzer and blush. I have not bought any mascara since be for lockdown will get one for a family event I have upcoming. I keep it very simple and natural, anything else and I look like a panto dame!
Good idea, I should have gone to a shop where they have testers available, as had I tried the one I bought, there's no way I'd have taken it to the checkout. I got a stark reminder this morning of how silly I'd been when I went to pay an bnpl instalment on my catalogue and I still owe £25 for something I've thrown in the bin. I've decided to stick with my cheapo brand for now, despite it being in flimsy and fiddly packaging. The lesson I've taken away from this experience is - I know what colour palette suits me, so there's absolutely no point in buying a large set with all manner of shades, if I decide to replace go cheap or buy from a shop where testers are available so I can see how well the make up goes on, eg, is the colour true, does it flake everywhere.
A panto dame! Yep, that was me in all that make up, and that's another thing I've learned - my aging skin just needs to look woken up not made up!

I rarely wear makeup these days. I've never been bug on foundation, tbh. The biggest shocker for me is the struggle to wear eyeshadow. When I was a teenager all my mates would troop round to mine with only foundation done, and I would do eyes and cheeks for all. I used to really enjoy makeup and was very proficient at applying it. Dry eyes and a losing battle with fine lines have drained my condidence. When I do venture to wear anything, it's a discontinued Benefit blush (Hervana) on eyes and cheeks and a dark bluey-green eyeliner on upper and lower lids, smudged out a bit. If I use mascara I tend to use Benefit Rollerlash, and I use Benefit Goof Proof brow pencil... but that's once in a blue moon.

I would wear it a lot less often if I was completely retired, but as I said working with the public, I feel the need to "put on a face". I've always been a one to wear make up, and if for some reason I decide not to, I'll invariably get some well meaning person come up to me and ask me whether I'm alright because I look a bit "peaky"! Cheers mate, that's just my face!
I also used to really enjoy make up when I was younger, and I would literally spend a hour putting it on - highlighting, contouring etc etc and I'll be totally honest, I wanted to make myself look attractive and I thought that I did tbh!
It's a totally different story these days, don't get me wrong, I don't think I've let myself go, I still care about how I look, but aging sagging skin with lines and wrinkles can actually be made to look worse thanks to make up. It's no longer about trying to look attractive, I just want to look "healthy", I don't want to have to rummage through a make up bag trying to find what I want. I just want a few simple good quality pieces but I haven't got the inclination, or money to experiment. After the £80 mistake, I'm sticking where I am for now.

I would wear it a lot less often if I was completely retired, but as I said working with the public, I feel the need to "put on a face". I've always been a one to wear make up, and if for some reason I decide not to, I'll invariably get some well meaning person come up to me and ask me whether I'm alright because I look a bit "peaky"! Cheers mate, that's just my face!
I also used to really enjoy make up when I was younger, and I would literally spend a hour putting it on - highlighting, contouring etc etc and I'll be totally honest, I wanted to make myself look attractive and I thought that I did tbh!
It's a totally different story these days, don't get me wrong, I don't think I've let myself go, I still care about how I look, but aging sagging skin with lines and wrinkles can actually be made to look worse thanks to make up. It's no longer about trying to look attractive, I just want to look "healthy", I don't want to have to rummage through a make up bag trying to find what I want. I just want a few simple good quality pieces but I haven't got the inclination, or money to experiment. After the £80 mistake, I'm sticking where I am for now.
If I was public facing I might feel differently but fortunately I don't. I so agree that makeup can emphasise the crinkles, wrinkles and sagging. I think I look older with it on. I suppose it always did, but when you're much younger you want to look older!

Previously, I tried to select cosmetics according to the advice of bloggers on YouTube - when they put makeup on themselves, I saw that the foundation was good, that the blush refreshes the face, but still this is a camera and they edit the video. Recently, bloggers have begun to produce cosmetics themselves, and the reviews have become biased - someone is friends with someone and therefore praises cosmetics, someone specifically says that they are bad. In general, I no longer have confidence in bloggers.
I decided to allocate a small amount for myself and try to pick up cosmetics. Sometimes I asked my friends to try something. As a result, after 2 years, I was able to collect a relatively good cosmetic bag. I still lack some things, but I can do without them

I rarely wear makeup these days. I've never been bug on foundation, tbh. The biggest shocker for me is the struggle to wear eyeshadow. When I was a teenager all my mates would troop round to mine with only foundation done, and I would do eyes and cheeks for all. I used to really enjoy makeup and was very proficient at applying it. Dry eyes and a losing battle with fine lines have drained my condidence. When I do venture to wear anything, it's a discontinued Benefit blush (Hervana) on eyes and cheeks and a dark bluey-green eyeliner on upper and lower lids, smudged out a bit. If I use mascara I tend to use Benefit Rollerlash, and I use Benefit Goof Proof brow pencil... but that's once in a blue moon.
I could almost have written this. Family members would ask for me to do their make up for special occasions and I used to love doing it.
In my case it’s not dry eyes but hooded eyelids that mean I don’t do much with eye make on a daily basis any more. Added to which I keep plucking out the grey eyebrow hairs leaving gaps which I have to spend time filling in. I’d be quite happy if all the grey came through overnight in one fell swoop, I could deal with that.
When I do bother to make up eyes properly, I also use a Benefit blush, the quad Sugarbomb one and add Avon’s Powerstsay Intense Plum liner, which really stays put and rollerlash mascara.
On a daily basis though, it’s just brows, cream blush and mascara.

Latest posts

Back