Mason's Weather Warning

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

What gets me is the way they make it "personal". Agreed, they've been given a set of snow shoes/fire blanket/tv simulator/ice melter to sell and it they HAVE to tell us what the item is for, and mentioning the words safety, peace of mind, just in case is okay as far as I'm concerned...BUT, it's always their mother, grandmother, mother in law, auntie ethel who've fallen foul of not having one of these wonderful products and have ended up in a&e, or have been broken into. Note, the people they usually cite are elderly or vulnerable, obviously the demographic they're aiming for,and imo it does come across as scaremongering.

Believe it or not, buying this sort of thing probably IS a good idea for the elderly and more vulnerable among us as they often can't get round to the shops, shop around, may not have online shopping available,but better to sell them a product by planting a little suggestion in their head than to scare the living daylights out of them!

Of course there's an element of scaremongering, and I concede they are not alone in using this tactic. And I agree that many of the products are probably a wise investment for certain demographics (that's if the quality matches the pitch of course).

I think what perhaps makes it worse with Bid, and subsequently makes us highlight it more, is the countless other examples of misrepresentation they exhibit.

Many of the presenters do seem to have a lot of unlucky friends and family though don't they? If only they had taken heed and bought the said products.

Last edited:
I just think that sometimes the notorious ones on Bid seem to forget when they actually have a worthy,credible product, OK it's a rarity! But why scare the vulnerable to bits when all a number of them had to do on this occasion, (the ice & snow melt stuff), was read the ****** label?! The facts that actually gave the reasons why it's more expensive. Having seen the guy on Price Drop last nite I may actually get some now as even with the p&p it is cheaper than QVC & other suppliers and once sprinkled down it can remain effective for up to a week so saves effort, money & is safer than going out to re do everyday.

Latest posts

Back