Massively Overpriced - Buddhas and Droplets?

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

SnowMoon

Registered Shopper
Am I missing something. I watched the carved "Type A" buddha pendant show yesterday. A whole hour of David "never smile" Troth wittering on. The pendant was mounted in silver, or midas and the buddha had a hole in it's head where it was meant to be on a jump ring or thong. Not exactly mind-blowing quality, i've seen similar on ebay, amazon and elsewhere for under £50. It went for £149.00! Even with a hole in it's head! Today we have the water droplets show. Cloudy thai sapphires set in midas prices £149 to £180. Now is it me, or are these items massively over-priced even for Gemporia? Have I overlooked something? I went to order the Buddha for my Dad as he has one but it is broken. I had to cancel the order - truly ghasted was my flabber at the price for a gold plated Buddha who looked like he had been shot!

You're not missing anything. Bought in bulk and designed to be worn differently, it looks horrible with the hole drilled right through the head and set that way. At least it's obvious what you're getting as you'd struggle to miss the hole!

I know and I know Gemporia can be pricey - but for me this reached a whole new depth of over-pricing. Troth really, really went for the hard sell on the Buddhas making them reset the clock three times before the final price drop and, originally, saying he would only do the final price drop if they were all allocated. They weren't and he did the drop anyway of course. But massive hard-selling on these. I feel sorry for the customers who fell for it and ordered all three - because Troth implied they were worth thousands - without actually saying that. Me, I might think about it when they turn up on an early morning show for 39.99 or less.

I know and I know Gemporia can be pricey - but for me this reached a whole new depth of over-pricing. Troth really, really went for the hard sell on the Buddhas making them reset the clock three times before the final price drop and, originally, saying he would only do the final price drop if they were all allocated. They weren't and he did the drop anyway of course. But massive hard-selling on these. I feel sorry for the customers who fell for it and ordered all three - because Troth implied they were worth thousands - without actually saying that. Me, I might think about it when they turn up on an early morning show for 39.99 or less.
All personal taste I suppose. They looked like Slimer pendants from Ghostbusters to me. :D

All personal taste I suppose. They looked like Slimer pendants from Ghostbusters to me. :D
Oh my God! I have been wrecking my brains trying to see what the Buddha reminded me of! It's the Slimer from Ghostbusters! You are totally right!
Speaking of overpriced, the other day Angeline was selling some mother of pear earrings and stating that elsewhere they could go for thousands and saying how sought after mother of pear is these days. I don't remember now what they charged for the earrings, but at the time I googled, bemused, the price of mother of pear earrings and H Samuel was selling them for 40 or 50 pounds- not thousands!

I noticed the hole in the head Buddha to, and thought I was mistaken. Jade is a stone that doesn’t interest me much, and I was rushing to get out. Thanks for confirming that I haven’t quite lost it, yet!!!

I was watching the Droplet Collection moments ago and I don't know how people are prepared to pay 129 pounds for a Midas, ergo silver, ring! I would pay half of that amount for it, if at all, particularly because the main sapphire is big, but it doesn't look of impressive quality

I was watching the Droplet Collection moments ago and I don't know how people are prepared to pay 129 pounds for a Midas, ergo silver, ring! I would pay half of that amount for it, if at all, particularly because the main sapphire is big, but it doesn't look of impressive quality

It's a filled stone, which isn't surprising as you'd never get a natural heat treated stone for that price. But they're quite weak stones as a result. I don't mind Midas pieces as the coating is good and the gold weights would be very small and the price higher if they used 9k. Any filled stones are basically fashion jewellery but will still use bits of the real thing. Not an outrageous price although I really have to love the design to buy glass/lead filled stones.

I was watching Amelia this morning with the launch of the Maelstrom ring. Sapphires are not my thing but I thought it was a very unusual ring. What really annoyed me was the constant reference to the Tiffany original, which I think was sold for £68k, the inference being you were getting a £68k ring for £199. No mention that it was a fissure filled sapphire, with zircons in silver. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of having something that beautiful at a fraction of the price, but at least be honest about how you achieve this.

The wave collection has sold out like hot cakes. I have some rings from TJC that I absolutely love, but I have to admit that Gemporia is more innovative in terms of design than TJC. At least that's my opinion. What do you all think?

I was watching Amelia this morning with the launch of the Maelstrom ring. Sapphires are not my thing but I thought it was a very unusual ring. What really annoyed me was the constant reference to the Tiffany original, which I think was sold for £68k, the inference being you were getting a £68k ring for £199. No mention that it was a fissure filled sapphire, with zircons in silver. Don’t get me wrong, I love the idea of having something that beautiful at a fraction of the price, but at least be honest about how you achieve this.
Absolutely agree. I think this afternoon Kate did a good job explaining why their wave collection is so much more affordable than reflections de Cartier, mentioning that they used zircon rather than diamonds. However, that was an exception rather than the rule. They should be more transparent about the obvious differences and embrace them. Hardness aside, I love white zircons and I think they sparkle as much as a diamond. I have a zircon ring next to a diamond ring in my ring box and I think anyone but an expert would struggle to spot the difference. So why not embrace that and be honest about it, as you said, Kit10?

The wave collection has sold out like hot cakes. I have some rings from TJC that I absolutely love, but I have to admit that Gemporia is more innovative in terms of design than TJC. At least that's my opinion. What do you all think?
They were beautiful, and I was tempted. During the afternoon I flicked over to TJC where Chloe was dying a death. I had exactly the same thought as you, Deasmum. Their designs are far from contemporary. I’ve all but stopped watching as it’s the same designs over and over again, occasionally with a different stone. Chloe was openly honest that she didn’t know why things weren’t selling. Didn’t they want what was on offer, or was no one watching. I think they should take a cold hard look at Gemporia. Many different collections, small numbers, well promoted both on air and in beautifully produced booklets in parcels, and sticking to a proper scheduled running order. This is the reason people were buying jewellery hand over fist at the same time on another channel.

Latest posts

Back