MEGADROP MADNESS is back on Bid this weekend

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

£1 MEGADROP1

Registered Shopper
From the look of "megadrop corner" it looks like they are going to be doing some decent items this time round but the snag is low quantities, Saw a Sony Vaio go just before 10pm but they only had 2.

Not keen on the "megadrop" voice though is it Steve McDonald? Bring back the original 1 with the explosion please bid, thank you :)

Saw a Sony Vaio go just before 10pm but they only had 2.

Not keen on the "megadrop" voice though is it Steve McDonald? Bring back the original 1 with the explosion please bid, thank you :)
When I saw the Sony laptop as part of a group of potential 'megadrops' earlier this evening I thought that it could be one of them. Oh well, I'm sure it would only have been a waste of an expensive phone call trying to get it (and giving them money in the process).

I have heard the original 'megadrop' voice and explosion sound effect used relatively recently so perhaps they are trying something new instead.

i applaud how liana wall kept a straight face when she convinced herself that these products only cost £1

(always suspicious when it costs more to recieve it than it does to buy it)

Back to their old tricks again. I wonder how much they are raking in from the calls from the "Megadrops"? (little more than glorified lotteries in reality)

When Dirty Peter did a Halogen Oven in a Megadrop he reminded us that even if we don't get the item we will still be charged for a 'local' call and then corrected himself, stating it's a 'national' call.

News to me.

Last edited:
When Dirty Peter did a Halogen Oven in a Megadrop he reminded us that even if we don't get the item we will still be charged for a 'local' call and then corrected himself, stating it's a 'national' call.

News to me.

He would probably say the nation in question is Timbuktu.

PJ

I have always wondered when they have say a Sony laptop in a megadrop, do they just pop to Currys and get one? Or go to Sony and buy a couple?

I wonder if the ASA would agree that by only offering one or two it is basically a lottery and needs a licence as one?

PJ

I have always wondered when they have say a Sony laptop in a megadrop, do they just pop to Currys and get one? Or go to Sony and buy a couple?
Possibly end-of-line products bought from a wholesaler. Intel have just announced new processors and when this happens new models are introduced by many companies, prices drop as a consequence and last year's models get discontinued. Sit-up can afford to give away a small number of expensive products in their megadrops; if (for example) 500 people phone in and miss out, and they get (say) £1 of revenue from each £1.53 phone call, that £500 could pay for two laptops.

I wonder if the ASA would agree that by only offering one or two it is basically a lottery and needs a licence as one?
Their Jackpot June promotion is being promoted as if it's a lottery with those computer-generated ball graphics, which must make it very hard to avoid such a comparison.

Sally just had some apple serum with a quantity of 15 which seems a bit tight, You can understand it on a laptop only having 2 but in years gone by when things were good for them you might have had 25 or 50 laptops & 200 of the serum

Also I heard the old megadrop sound effect too

She also hinted that some megadrop products might come back again

Last edited:
this is more horrific than quizmania etc as that concept is shamelessly bent... this is glorified pot luck for £1.53 a go.

to some extent this is worse than trying to befriend the vunerable.

this is more horrific than quizmania etc as that concept is shamelessly bent... this is glorified pot luck for £1.53 a go.

to some extent this is worse than trying to befriend the vunerable.

In my opinion it is totally bent Mr T, in fact it's questionable whether it has any place on a shopping channel as I think it's akin to a punt.

I think the ASA should take a view on it.

In my opinion it is totally bent Mr T, in fact it's questionable whether it has any place on a shopping channel as I think it's akin to a punt.

I think the ASA should take a view on it.

i didn't realise the extent to which it was a gamble until last night when i thought bid had got the contract for the lotto... i blinked and the item was gone and on to usual service "stunning beauty blah blah"

i work for a bookie but i'm clearly in the wrong aspect of the game when i could make a guaranteed £1.53 and portray it as a shopping opportunity.

i didn't realise the extent to which it was a gamble until last night when i thought bid had got the contract for the lotto... i blinked and the item was gone and on to usual service "stunning beauty blah blah"

i work for a bookie but i'm clearly in the wrong aspect of the game when i could make a guaranteed £1.53 and portray it as a shopping opportunity.

It's a punt Mr T, it needs to be looked at.

Aside from that Dirty Peter is telling lies about the Yarvik 7" tablet, he just claimed it was previously selling £149.99 and it simply wasn't. Complaint lodged.

Last edited:
I don't know if it's any more naughty than those godawful quizzes attatched to daytime tv quiz shows etc......Complete the title of the show...strictly come...is it a. Glancing b. Prancing c. Dancing that's about the same price to ring isn't it?...and there's usually only one prize. I guess there's got to be something in it for them, I guess they could have a number that told you I'm sorry you have not been successful this time, you have not been charged for this call. Why would they want to "give away" a couple of laptops?

I guess you'd have to look at it like that, and decide whether you're bothered about giving them £1.53 for nothing, as long as they don't imply that the call's free, or that you have a better chance of getting the product than you really do, fair enough I guess..but not for me. I'm guessing they need to try and rope in as much revenue as possible before they go under!

Last edited:
I don't know if it's any more naughty than those godawful quizzes attatched to daytime tv quiz shows etc......Complete the title of the show...strictly come...is it a. Glancing b. Prancing c. Dancing that's about the same price to ring isn't it?...and there's usually only one prize. I guess there's got to be something in it for them, I guess they could have a number that told you I'm sorry you have not been successful this time, you have not been charged for this call. Why would they want to "give away" a couple of laptops?

I guess you'd have to look at it like that, and decide whether you're bothered about giving them £1.53 for nothing, as long as they don't imply that the call's free, or that you have a better chance of getting the product than you really do, fair enough I guess..but not for me. I'm guessing they need to try and rope in as much revenue as possible before they go under!

Least they are not dressing it up to be anything but one person winning. The way they talk about megadrops is they everyone will pay a pound and win.

At least with those silly daytime quizzes everyone who enters has an equal chance of winning, whereas with megadrops you have to perfectly time your call so that it connects precisely at the moment when they open the phone lines, which is an almost random event due to the delay between studio output and the receiver.

As for giving away laptops, it keeps people watching the channels as well as generating excitement and encourages viewers at home to dial the number; something they hope will be subsequently repeated when they sell tat at massively inflated prices.

Andy just did 11 yes 11 duvet sets for £1 each + the p&p and phone call charge of course, Probably 1 of the worst megadrops of the weekend so far for value for money

They do keep mentioning though you will be charged if you get it or not

Andy just did 11 yes 11 duvet sets for £1 each + the p&p and phone call charge of course, Probably 1 of the worst megadrops of the weekend so far for value for money

They do keep mentioning though you will be charged if you get it or not

it is like the quizcall lot have disguised themselves as a shopping channel. however honest andy is like teflon, much admiration for him quite frankly.

Latest posts

Back