Miele

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

louise66

Registered Shopper
I sell technology, and white goods, day in out and, admittedly, we do get the odd customer who is looking for Miele. About 0.00000001%. Chloe has just told us, we can get the detergent, delivered to our door but, why oh why, did she not add 'for £70.95'?
Somehow, I don't think it would be a selling point.
From my experience, both professional and personal, the most efficacious, solid machine is the LG.
What does the guest think he is, wearing that white coat? A scientist?
The things I do for work.

My mother in law recently purchased an LG washing machine and she is delighted with it. Not a brand I'd previously considered, but it seems they are worth a look.

I have to fly the flag for Miele here. My old washing machine was a Miele and we only replaced it last year. It was bought in 1992 and the only replacement part it needed was a seal, because rather unsurprisingly it had gone brittle. It was expensive even in 1992 (I remember saving for it, and thinking it was a bit of an extravagance) , but given the number of fuss-free years its given me it was worth every penny. All of our white goods, hob, oven, plate warmer are Miele and I've had nothing but superb results from them. I'd also mention that the washing machine rinses extremely thoroughly (our new one even more so) and are quiet with low vibration. All in all, I think you get what you pay for with large electricals like washing machines and tumble dryers. I like the fact it has a 75° programme (I use that for towels, some bedding, tea towels etc) and it also boils - good for dog towels and cat bedding, white linens/towels etc. I refuse to do this dirty 'washing at 30°' malarky that we're encouraged to do, and I think using powder detergent and high temperature, full-action cycles has helped keep the scale and yuck down in the machine and prolonged the life of it.

I would, however, agree with you about the detergent system: this seems a bit of a rip off to me. I've always used Ariel powder, and will continue to do so.

Last edited:
I had an LG washing machine for 10 yrs-its fantastic!
I have a Miele Vac and wouldn't have any other,its' second to none in my opinion.

I've just had to replace my washing machine and I plumped for a Candy. I hate it with a passion. If you want to wash anything over 30 degrees it's a minimum 2.1/2 hour cycle. There is a 75 minute cycle, but as I say, it's only 30 degrees which is a waste of time IMO when you're washing bedding or towels etc.
It is a very quiet machine though, but I just don't understand how machines like this can be given an 'A' rating. Okay, they may use a little less water, but it's using way more electric than my previous Indecit machine.
I've resorted to setting the timer on it, so it starts at 3.00am and is finished by 5.40am when I get up. It's ridiculous.

Craftalot, I will see your Meiele with my Hotpoint Twintub bought in 1988/9 and the spinner died about 5 years ago so 2011! I moved into my flat and there was no room for a automatic,well take half the lower cupboards out it would. It had a worktop so you could use it for doing stuff on, just rolled over and did two different colour washes and spins in 20 minutes. It was a tank and I was devastated when it died.

I bought a Bosch washing machine which allows you to change temperatures and spin speeds on the different wash programmes. Normally I use a mixed was one which starts out at best part of 2 hours, but I select the speed button, and it comes in at just under 1 hour ... and the spin is very quiet. Very pleased with it. Decided to just get a washer rather than a washer-dryer, as I spent a year without, going down the laundrette... and found I wasn't really using the dryer. Now I just take my sheets and towels (and bath mats) to the laundrette and wash and dry there. Wash cycle 25 minutes, then about 35 mins on full heat in the dryer and I'm done. Worth the money to save the time... and I can put a load on at home at the same time which is ready to hang out to dry when I get back from the laundrette.

I love my Zanussi. The last one I had was a Philips and it was total Carp !

I have an LG and hate it. Worst electrical item I have ever bought.

On another note I have a Zanussi fridge freezer that I purchased in 1987 that is still going strong.

What was the £1500 iron and board about! Chloe said everyone is jumping on the phone, she then said she really wanted one. Pure bull I know lots of people who like their gadgets but this is just a few £££££to far. Q LALA land

No, the Miele definitely falls into what QVC would once have called "a considered purchase" category. Now of course, they'll be exhorting one for the present drawer or some other such nonsense (perfect mother's day gift/wedding gift/housewarming gift...). No, we're not made of money! If they had more than 10 for sale, I would be surprised.

Craftalot, I will see your Meiele with my Hotpoint Twintub bought in 1988/9 and the spinner died about 5 years ago so 2011! I moved into my flat and there was no room for a automatic,well take half the lower cupboards out it would. It had a worktop so you could use it for doing stuff on, just rolled over and did two different colour washes and spins in 20 minutes. It was a tank and I was devastated when it died.

Oh, my. This brings back memories.

My mum had a Hotpoint twin tub in the mid sixties. We had a proper "washing Monday" back then. My sister had it when I was 12 and my mum had a Hotpoint front-loader. It was still working and got sold on when she finally replaced it when she had my mum's front-loader in 2008. Opening it with a screwdriver as the lock was broken was starting to worry her, but the only things that had to be replaced were brushes and seals.

I had my mum's Hotpoint tumble dryer at the same time and have finally replaced it earlier this year. It was still working but I had to climb into it to empty the fluff filter at the back (which HAD to be emptied after each use as it gathered mountains of fluff), which was starting to get to be difficult for me. It was quick and simple. Two heat buttons and a timer. They don't make Hotpoints like they did 40 plus years ago!

I now have a Miele (second-hand but nearly new), which came with the detergent in pre-loaded containers. I use this for really dirty work clothes and I can honestly say I have never seen them get so clean. Amazing stuff. I wouldn't use it for every wash as I don't feel there's a need, but I will buy more when I run out specifically for my once-a-week work wash and for stained items. After seeing the demo yesterday I can see how it's so effective.

Oh, my. This brings back memories.

My mum had a Hotpoint twin tub in the mid sixties. We had a proper "washing Monday" back then.

With those wooden tongs with the metal loop you fished the stuff out with - I can almost still smell that hot washing powder smell. Very much a Monday morning, along with stripping beds and throwing open windows.

You were posh with a hotpoint: we had a Rolls!

Last edited:
With those wooden tongs with the metal loop you fished the stuff out with - I can almost still smell that hot washing powder smell. Very much a Monday morning, along with stripping beds and throwing open windows.

You were posh with a hotpoint: we had a Rolls!

My grandmother was the poshest in the street as she had an electric mangle!

I still have the tongs, and yep, can still smell the wash. Do you remember Tide and OMO?

Those twin tubs really were tanks, and back in the day when Hotpoint was a very good make: not like a lot of the stuff now which has built in obsolescence.

My grandmother was the poshest in the street as she had an electric mangle!

I still have the tongs, and yep, can still smell the wash. Do you remember Tide and OMO?

Crikey, yes! I also had a very small box of Robin blue for white shirts, which probably came from my mother - this was before I got slovenly! He's lucky if they get ironed now, never mind blued!

Last edited:
Crikey, yes! I also had a very small box of Robin blue for white shirts - this was before I got slovenly! He's lucky if they get ironed now, never mind blued!

I remember that, too! And the Robin starch!

Yeah, my OH is lucky to get stuff ironed these days. I love the smell of ironing and freshly washed and ironed clothes, but I ache too much to put the board up let alone iron for long (though I could probably be persuaded if I had that fancy Miele system - now that looks so easy to pull out and set up).

The joys of having memories of the good old days cancelled out by the misery of getting older aches and pains.

I have a Miele washer which has lasted longer than any other machine I have owned.

As as a child I remember the blue stuff for the wash, think my nana called them dolly blue bags. If ever I got stung by a bee one was used to take away the pain and swelling.

I remember that, too! And the Robin starch!

Yeah, my OH is lucky to get stuff ironed these days. I love the smell of ironing and freshly washed and ironed clothes, but I ache too much to put the board up let alone iron for long (though I could probably be persuaded if I had that fancy Miele system - now that looks so easy to pull out and set up).

The joys of having memories of the good old days cancelled out by the misery of getting older aches and pains.

I agree entirely. At the risk of scaring away the younger members of this forum, it amazes me when I think back of just how much I did and how little I do now. Nowadays, my washing goes from washing machine to tumble dryer, usually bypassing the ironing pile, then into the airing cupboard. If it's lucky, it gets put away. And that's it. Back then, all of Monday morning was spent doing the washing, and that's after the mending had been done beforehand. I also used to black the fires and make them up, take out rugs and beat them and hang them out to air on a nice morning, polish the brass and copper, do the front steps with Cardinal Red (when did they stop selling that!). I don't actually think of myself as 'old' but actually writing all that out makes me sound like a under scullery maid from Downton. How things change!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back