misleading sales pitches ...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

cheeky chappie

Registered Shopper
Good ol' peter selling the recon iphone with janice, giving it his usual 'not only ...' ramblings but finishing off by saying:

'it's £89.99'

eh NO peter, it's £270 on 3 flexi pays!!!

'How much is that fiesta mr/mrs salesperson?'
'it's £250 sir'
'WOW really? just £250?!? I'll take 2, no actually make that 3!'
'No problem sir, and how will you be paying the £30,000?'
'Lol oh you, don't you mean £750?'
'Emmm no sir, £30,000. Each car is £10,000'
'EH?!? so where does the £250 come from?'
'That's the monthly payment per car sir ... sir ... SIR COME BAAAAAAACK'

Alison Young was blatantly at that again yesterday giving the impression the first easy pay on a beauty product was the actual price. I found myself thinking ,oh that's a good price until I gave it my full attention. It's so misleading.And I still find the new graphics annoying , they don't keep up with what the presenters are saying .Julia Roberts admitted in the fashion on Friday hour that she can't get used to them.

It really irks me at how aghast he shows he is at the things Janice can do with the apple products that he has seen time and time and time and time again give it a rest Peter for fecks sake.

I hate that too, Mike was aghast and said "chef mate, you've left the wrapper on the cheese"...... with shocked look on face, we all know Mike has done these pans 1,000 times and even owns them.

I've registered simply to express my disbelief at the White Macbook Janice is currently selling at £479.99

As far as I'm aware Apple discontinued the white Macbook in 2011 so that's £479.99 for a machine that is at least four years old. That fact has not been mentioned once.

Disgusting behaviour. Apple or not, I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I was selling technology that out of date.

It's simply older technology = works perfectly and will do what most people want it to do. Nothing wrong with that.

It is when they don't alert people that its an older modal, its what's known in the trade circa Bid tv as not giving the customer all the facts, decieving them in other words. If you paid for a new Vauxhall car and the reg said 04 that wouldn't matter would it? after all, it works perfectly and will do what you expect it to.

Good ol' peter selling the recon iphone with janice, giving it his usual 'not only ...' ramblings but finishing off by saying:

'it's £89.99'

eh NO peter, it's £270 on 3 flexi pays!!!

'How much is that fiesta mr/mrs salesperson?'
'it's £250 sir'
'WOW really? just £250?!? I'll take 2, no actually make that 3!'
'No problem sir, and how will you be paying the £30,000?'
'Lol oh you, don't you mean £750?'
'Emmm no sir, £30,000. Each car is £10,000'
'EH?!? so where does the £250 come from?'
'That's the monthly payment per car sir ... sir ... SIR COME BAAAAAAACK'

I can't watch eithet Mike faux surpise and shock Mason, or double entendre Peter Simon. Makes laugh when he used to say "its two tenners! two tenners!" because he thought it sounded less money, don't know why he didn't shout " its a tenner, one fiver, four pound coins, a fifty pence piece, two twenty pence pieces and two five pence pieces".............still adds up to twenty quid, he's an absolute idiot.

Just flicked over to have another look, and there selling the Nutrimaster on Midday Madness, and whoa and behold, it's out of sync with the guys speech, the Welsh fella Howard what's his face, proving its a recorded show. Theres yet another reason why IW is on a downward spiral to receivership.

Vibrapower hour is on at the moment (by the way its limited stock already!!!!:mysmilie_15: how can anything be limited stock on IW? give it a few hours and they will have found another 250000 to punt)

I would bet a good percentage of the vibrapower sales are to the vulnerable who want the fast fix without trying and still happy to eat the same as they have been then 6 weeks down the line said machine is lying in a cupboard collecting dust while the poor owner is splashing the cash out on yet another passing miracle.

Wouldn't it be nice and genuinely helpful to keep reminding folk to eat healthier and get out to do a bit of walking etc, rather than making statements like "3 minutes and that's it done easy!!!!!" another sales pitch saying "all you do is get off the couch and stand on it" ..........................And people wonder why Bid went out the game:wait:

I still can't understand on how IW gets away with saying things are in a sale when clearly they're not. Cockney Mike is ranting on about something that's only on sell for a marked down price for one hour only when in fact the item sell price hasn't changed at all. Aren't they governing bodies watching out for things like this?

Martin, if you have enough details you can try reporting them to the Advertising Standards Authority. They are pretty toothless and can't do much but it is a simple process online. I have done it myself when someone on Bid (maybe Mike) said that the "perfume" company Laurelle had a prestigious store on Regent Street when they had a mailing address along with hundreds of others. The result was deemed to be a "mistake" on their part but it made me feel better doing my bit.

Hi Muttley, thanks for this. I just might do this as it's totally misleading and should be outlawed.

It is a bit irritating when they put on screen the list of every item (price) in a package, for example the karcher bits an bobs, but they are listing all the most possibly expensive/website prices that they have never ever sold it for during a live hour.

They must think they should squeeze every penny of cash from the anti-technological generation and run before they die of old age.

my opinion, not fact... but probably fact.

I e-mailed Ideal World the other day, pointing out that for Peter Simon to keep saying..."buy it, buy it, it's only £17.99"..when in fact £17.99 was only ONE of the easy pay instalments, was misleading, appeared unprofessional and probably contravened ASA guidelines. I gave them day/date/time comment was made, presenter's name and the name of the product being shown in the hour. I said I would not hesitate to make a complaint to the ASA. Got back from them an apologetic e-mail, saying that they strive for continuous improvement and appreciated my feedback! Probably standard e-mail they send to everyone - I e-mailed back to suggest they actually read my e-mail properly and then give a considered reply, showing they took the matter seriously (as if, but going through the motions...). Straight to ASA next time, I think. They just don't care.

Last edited:
Unfortunately they will continuously push out the boundaries of misinterpretation selling until someone has the power and inclination to stop them.

Latest posts

Back