Mistakes

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I only watch to laugh now. Well, the few shows I can sit through.

The only presenter who doesn't make me want to pitch my telly out of the window is Ruth. But only when she doesn't have Jainey "Poundland Habitat" Bennett on a Skype call to Hell. Or any of the gem buyers (sorry, "gem investors) on gurning at the camera. Or threatening to burst into tears in Dave Troth's case.

The rest of the presenters are unwatchable. The channel is pretty much on a par with Ideal World now in terms of shady practices. They make Ratners look like Boodles.

Lynn Jinx is a strange one isn't she?
I know that she's lying through her teeth most of the time but there's something about her that seems to hypnotise me and I can end up watching her shows for an hour or more without even realising it. Very weird.
I don't buy from Gems though, never have and I doubt that I ever will to be honest. I'm not that gullible.

The only presenter who doesn't make me want to pitch my telly out of the window is Ruth. But only when she doesn't have Jainey "Poundland Habitat" Bennett on a Skype call to Hell. Or any of the gem buyers (sorry, "gem investors) on gurning at the camera. Or threatening to burst into tears in Dave Troth's case.

The rest of the presenters are unwatchable. The channel is pretty much on a par with Ideal World now in terms of shady practices. They make Ratners look like Boodles.
I can really only watch Amelia, to be honest. I find her the least offensive! I find Ellis’ faux sincerity very irritating, also can’t watch if any of the ‘Gem Investors’ are on. ‘we’re not here to give you financial advice, but look! This piece of Grandidiorite is with £50k at Bonhams and yours came from the same mine!!!!!! Another one for my Portfolio, then!! That’s another thing that irritates me, people thinking their Gems Portfolio is worth thousands. Are people really so gullible? And the 4x Valuations? They never mention that this would be a replacement valuation, not a valuation to sell. There is a vast difference, as I’m sure people would find out if they tried to sell the jewellery on the High Street. If these pieces were so incredibly valuable, with such rare stones. wouldn’t you think that Gems would be happy to buy them back…….Just a thought.

I love the "not like for like" valuations.

"Here's a picture of a 563 carat natural blood red ruby once owned by Benghal royalty that is worth billions, and here's a silver foil ring featuring a 20 point dyed, heated, fissure filled ruby from a parcel unearthed 1500 miles away from India that has a start price of £49.99. It is obviously a legacy piece for true connoisseurs. Like Doris from Barnsley, who wouldn't recognise a well cut, natural stone if it kicked her up the bum"

I love the "not like for like" valuations.

"Here's a picture of a 563 carat natural blood red ruby once owned by Benghal royalty that is worth billions, and here's a silver foil ring featuring a 20 point dyed, heated, fissure filled ruby from a parcel unearthed 1500 miles away from India that has a start price of £49.99. It is obviously a legacy piece for true connoisseurs. Like Doris from Barnsley, who wouldn't recognise a well cut, natural stone if it kicked her up the bum"
I meant "not like for like" comparisons. Meh.

Lynn Jinx is a strange one isn't she?
I know that she's lying through her teeth most of the time but there's something about her that seems to hypnotise me and I can end up watching her shows for an hour or more without even realising it. Very weird.
I don't buy from Gems though, never have and I doubt that I ever will to be honest. I'm not that gullible.
Lynn is very good at her job. She's very smiley, but like others (such as Jess, and Angeline) the smile never reaches her eyes.

I would not want to get on the wrong side of her.

Mistakes are a constant theme now, seems every time I tune in. The ‘system’ failed during the weekends Nilamani shows with Dave Troth. Not just Saturday but Sunday too. They still went ahead and sold out of everything that ‘shouldn’t be at that price’.

Also last week, Kati and her Visage wares. The computer got stuck on a ‘shouldn’t be this price’ price and wouldn’t budge. This came with a delightful bit of theatrics with Kati leaving the studio. She was shown behind the cameras where all the action (mistakes) happen, on the phone 😁 She returned to Ellis in the studio to say that she didn’t understand what was happening but they would be going with the low price 🤣 What a cliffhanger 🙄

Wish the ‘system’ would one day do a decent job and drop to a penny lol

I did catch the end of the Ellis and Dave show on Sunday, and enjoyed the spectacle 🤣 Those were award winning performances, but it’s time to get a new system, before the company is bankrupt.

Kate on with Toby Cavill yesterday, doing a tsavorite garnet show.

At one point Toby comments that their Managing Director Colin Wagstaff had gone into the gallery for a word about the state of the "low" prices, and that the camera person should have caught it.

It's really getting beyond a joke. Gems' computer system keeps arbitrarily chucking up silly prices. The jewellery makers keep setting costly jewels in the wrong metals. And now the company MD has got nothing better to do than ignore both whatever it is that he's actually paid to do and the company hierarchy to go storming into tv studios and demanding that the production staff stop doing their jobs and answer his questions.

Allegedly.

If all this was true, then you would have to question how long the company would stay afloat.

But the fact that Gems continually makes what are obvious ploys to boost sales now, added to the fact that they sell more Bid TV level tat than jewellery these days, makes me ask that question anyway.

Also, in this show with Kate, Toby was "bantering" with the production team. Nothing new on Gemporia, or any selly telly channels. But after Kate made a comment about how clever one guy in the gallery was, Toby replied by basically saying "Sort of".

It wasn't said in a jokey way, and Kate stopped laughing. I don't think that the guy in the gallery thought it was funny either, and must have said something as Toby gave a sort of apology in passing as he went on about the garnets.

I have never had any real opinion about him before, except for thinking that he could do with a good wash and a haircut. But today he definitely struck me as being a bit too full of himself, and a really nasty piece of work.

I was watching the Breakfast Blowout with Lindsay Carr this morning and found myself wondering again who really controls the pricing. Lindsay mentioned at the beginning of the hour that she was self producing and she had control of the pricing. An Edison Pearl necklace came up on the wheel but there was something wrong with the price. A customer messaged in and advised what they had paid. Lindsay then said she’d have to check with someone else, as she couldn’t drop the price. So much for being in charge of the prices. Apparently only until a real decision needs to be made.

I was watching the Breakfast Blowout with Lindsay Carr this morning and found myself wondering again who really controls the pricing. Lindsay mentioned at the beginning of the hour that she was self producing and she had control of the pricing. An Edison Pearl necklace came up on the wheel but there was something wrong with the price. A customer messaged in and advised what they had paid. Lindsay then said she’d have to check with someone else, as she couldn’t drop the price. So much for being in charge of the prices. Apparently only until a real decision needs to be made.
To be fair, I wouldn't trust Lindsay Carr to tell me what day it was. Management probably won't allow her carte blanche on setting prices in case she gives away a coupke of jewellery wheels for a handful of magic (kidney) beans and a dragon's (hen's) egg.

I wonder if Gemporia staff have been reading this thread. Lynne Jinks declared that the prices of two pieces on a wheel she had yesterday evening must be "mistakes", but she did it without the usual drawn out melodramatic performance, and the wailing that it's the end of civilisation as we know it, that Gems presenters usually throw themselves into while trying not to giggle at whatever the production team are saying in their ear.

She just said that the prices must be mistakes, and moved on. As one of the pieces was a horrible orange coated spherical quartz pendant selling at £19.99, I wholeheartedly agreed with her. That monstrosity was overpriced by at least a tenner

Ellis and The Haylegig this morning over a candle and Reed diffuser. There’s definitely something wrong with the price, but we are going to honour it. There was no price on screen. No value had been mentioned. Why mention it at all, just stick the bliddy price up there and get in with it? Still Ellis had to bang on about the mistake in the pricing. If they haven’t declared the price, they could have put any price up. Where is the mistake?

Ellis and The Haylegig this morning over a candle and Reed diffuser. There’s definitely something wrong with the price, but we are going to honour it. There was no price on screen. No value had been mentioned. Why mention it at all, just stick the bliddy price up there and get in with it? Still Ellis had to bang on about the mistake in the pricing. If they haven’t declared the price, they could have put any price up. Where is the mistake?
Considering that many presenters perform this well-worn act, perhaps it is an edict from on high?

Despite many of us on here seeing it for the shoddy money grabbing performance that it is, it is possible that others don't.

Considering that many viewers/purchasers seem to be lonely and perhaps vulnerable, and far too many seem to be under the impression that certain presenters are their friends, it's quite possible that some of them only tune in to see the presenters they like.

For example, Ellis fans might not see Hattie or Adina going into the exact same act. Or they're prepared to turn a blind eye to the negative aspects of Gemporia's selling techniques because they've bought into the company's crap.

But viewers must be buying more items that are labelled as price mistakes, or Gemporia wouldn't bother doing it so often

I would all be very careful what you say on here. You might get branded as a traitor and blasphemer against tatty products and dubious selling practices

It’s so obvious that the ‘mistakes’ are sales ploys. How could any business allow its staff to be so incompetent? One minute we’re expected to believe that ‘We’ve taken this too low, but there are no Management in the building, so it’s ok’ and the next is ‘The computer is locked, and we can’t go lower’ . I also think the Destello fashion range is perhaps not all it appears to be. I have a scarf which was on air last week that I purchased from TJC last year. They are identical, the only difference is the label. I also have a Destello bag which was highly promoted as the ‘El’ bag, named after Ellis. When it arrived the labels had a different name. I think these things are ordered and rebranded as Destello, no designing required!
Agree wholeheartedly

The rest of the presenters are unwatchable. The channel is pretty much on a par with Ideal World now in terms of shady practices. They make Ratners look like disc

No

What a delightful description Poundland Habitat love it well done. However I will miss Ruth if I decide to buy again but right now it's a big No No! You wait for ages for the delivery only to return it and be told you must wait for your refund approx 10 days which is bad enough however in reality it's a lot longer than that!!

Latest posts

Back