Moissanite

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

MrMobo

Registered Shopper
Hi, could anybody tell me if moissanite is 100% lab created or can it be found in small quantities in natural formations which haven't been deposited by meteorites/asteroids?

Wiki says it can be found on rare occasions in its natural state on earth (so not lab created) but obviously not enough to make jewelry hence why its mostly lab created.

I read the story about its discovery and wondered could all natural moissanite be a result of meteorites hitting earth in its distant past? or is it possible that some actually formed on our planet?

More a Geology question than a jewellery one and you may be better off asking on those types of forums.

More a Geology question than a jewellery one and you may be better off asking on those types of forums.

Thanks, I just thought that somebody may know who has Moissanite as one of their favourite gemstones (if it is classed as a gemstone) as most of us know a great deal about our own favourites such as me with my Sapphires & Alexandrites.
I see Moissanite being labelled as the "space diamond" (not by Gems tv), if it can naturally form on earth then that would be a bit misleading imo.

Last edited:
hi moissanite is lab created by Charles and colvard the story is that it came from a meteor donkeys years ago and they have managed to recreate the same formula of the meteor in the lab that's why it costs a bomb due to all the investment into creating it , it is not a diamond and it is not mined it is created bid tv call it "the space diamond " ha ha ha !!!!its not even a diamond it is not like kunzite alexandrite or tanzanite emeralds rubies sapphires etc or any natural gemstome as all these are mined and some are heated to bring out there fab colours and some are fissue filled to look better on the eye like rubies I myself prefer the real thing a diamond !!!! hope this is some use xxx

Latest posts

Back