Molton Brown put to the test....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Bettyboo

Registered Shopper
Watched a consumer programme last night on Channel 4 they did a test on MB hand wash. They spoke to a young man who had shelves full of MB products in his home and set him a test. They swapped the MB with,an Aldi brand at 89p then made a hand wash from scratch and asked him to try them all. Aldi came first the home made came second and he put the £18 MB last. I don't think he could quite believe it as he thought he was a bit of an expert on MB products.

I have friend who used to be a Chemist for a large cosmetics and skin company, and she was saying she only buys Aldi own brand as they are basically all the same.

I saw the programme and the Aldi handwash they used is one of my faves. It`s 89p a bottle and comes in several fragrances and it`s terrific. The experiment showed just how much people are swayed by branding and packaging.

I think I'll buy the Aldi stuff and decant it into Molton Brown bottles! I need to try it first as I can't believe it smells as lovely as some of the MB scents, or makes the bathroom and landing smell as nice after use.

I think I'll buy the Aldi stuff and decant it into Molton Brown bottles! I need to try it first as I can't believe it smells as lovely as some of the MB scents, or makes the bathroom and landing smell as nice after use.

They only do a handwash Andi. Its in MB look a likey bottles and I think there`s 4 different fragrances. I like the grapefruit one best. This is the one and excellent reviews.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/50312/0

They only do a handwash Andi. Its in MB look a likey bottles and I think there`s 4 different fragrances. I like the grapefruit one best. This is the one and excellent reviews.
https://www.aldi.co.uk/p/50312/0

Thank you very much! I see what you mean about the bottles.

Which leads me to the other lookalike brand, Baylis & Harding. Hmmm, not sure. I had one handwash as a gift and it was not bad at all, then I bought a bottle with matching hand lotion which was awful. The worst thing was the hand lotion separated and no matter how hard I shook the bottle, only scented water came out the pump. I had had it about a year when I started to use it but would expect any hand lotion to last a few years. The one I got for the office did the same after a few months.

Yes I've got to agree about Aldi, their skin care range and bathroom products are lovely and there's a reason why they're consistently voted number one supermarket and best brands, I mean why pay £18 for handwash when you can get just as good quality for 89p?

Must just say, I never have, nor never would pay Molton Brown prices, when there's equally great quality out there for a fraction of the price, take Aldi for example.

Yes I've got to agree about Aldi, their skin care range and bathroom products are lovely and there's a reason why they're consistently voted number one supermarket and best brands, I mean why pay £18 for handwash when you can get just as good quality for 89p?

I have to try it. The store near me only opened earlier this year and I've visited just the once but couldn't find any beauty products in there. I'll definitely go back soon.

I have to try it. The store near me only opened earlier this year and I've visited just the once but couldn't find any beauty products in there. I'll definitely go back soon.

Oh Andi you must go back, Aldi is a great place to shop for everything from food to all the special offers they have for the home/garden, you can also look online for the upcoming offers and get free p&p and returns.

Have a little mooch. https://www.aldi.co.uk/

You won`t find any posh display stands or cosmetic counters. Their skincare and toiletries will be tucked away on a regular shelf alongside tampons, shaving gel and mouthwash etc. Aldi aren`t big on visual selling. I recently tried this serum in the link below and must say it`s the best I`ve ever used even though it cost me less than a fiver.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...30-cream-list-approved-Rodial-tell-which.html

Oh Andi you must go back, Aldi is a great place to shop for everything from food to all the special offers they have for the home/garden, you can also look online for the upcoming offers and get free p&p and returns.

Have a little mooch. https://www.aldi.co.uk/

You won`t find any posh display stands or cosmetic counters. Their skincare and toiletries will be tucked away on a regular shelf alongside tampons, shaving gel and mouthwash etc. Aldi aren`t big on visual selling. I recently tried this serum in the link below and must say it`s the best I`ve ever used even though it cost me less than a fiver.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...30-cream-list-approved-Rodial-tell-which.html

Ooh, I'm quite excited now. It's across a car park from the Sainsbury's I usually go to but I haven't even been there for a few weeks - now the roadworks are finishing, time to venture over methinks! I remember the time I went, the till queues were horrendous - I don't suppose December will be great but I'll give it a go.

Thanks, ladies. Love both those links. I'll report back.

Ooh, I'm quite excited now. It's across a car park from the Sainsbury's I usually go to but I haven't even been there for a few weeks - now the roadworks are finishing, time to venture over methinks! I remember the time I went, the till queues were horrendous - I don't suppose December will be great but I'll give it a go.

Thanks, ladies. Love both those links. I'll report back.

they do excellent vitamins for around a pound some last a couple of months heart, bone suppliments

The till queues may be long, people know when they're into a good thing, but they whizz you through checkout at lightening speed. No pausing while scanning every item to chat to every passing staff member like in Tesco!
You don't have time to pack your bag at the till. Just get it in your trolley & then there's a shelf along the Windows where you can put it into your bags.
It's brilliant. I can be in & out in the time it takes just to get through checkout in Tesco.
Their fruit & veg can't be beaten on price, especially the weekly Super 6.
Some terrific wines that have won awards against pricey bottles

The till queues may be long, people know when they're into a good thing, but they whizz you through checkout at lightening speed. No pausing while scanning every item to chat to every passing staff member like in Tesco!
You don't have time to pack your bag at the till. Just get it in your trolley & then there's a shelf along the Windows where you can put it into your bags.
It's brilliant. I can be in & out in the time it takes just to get through checkout in Tesco.
Their fruit & veg can't be beaten on price, especially the weekly Super 6.
Some terrific wines that have won awards against pricey bottles

If you're in for a small shop (which I was when I went to one recently - not local enough for a regular shop, sadly) and you load the conveyerbelt in the right order, you can pack as quick as they scan.

Always best to take your own bags.

I've not been disappointed with what I've bought from there. Some of the brands may be unfamiliar, but that doesn't determine whether or not the quality is there... I think when Aldi and Lidl first came to the UK, the model they were following was different to what it is now... the economic down-turn was a critical factor in that, I believe... and by offering some familiar brands alongside the less familiar brands, they have widened their appeal considerably. I've not been disappointed with what I have bought from Aldi so far.

Aldi do their own label called "every day" in store and I'm not kidding, I seen the Every Day rice pudding for 15p and got a tin to try, and Oh! My! Word! It's the nicest I've ever, ever tried, so much so I sent the husband over when we tried it to get ten tins, at a whopping price of £1.50, it's low fat and absolutely delicious so in Aldis case, it's not the name you pay for.

i am trying to eat better more oily fish, fresh fruit,veg etc...you can buy porridge for pennies,walnuts (excellent for heart function) dried cranberries and seeds to make a very healthy breakfast. when i went to waitrose i was shocked at the price of the fancy porridge they sell around £4 and more a box.

you can buy fresh salmon and the most delicious smoked salmon for very little money. as been said the super 6 veg bags sell for pennies no excuses not to research and eat the best quality super foods.they have pommegranate seeds and beauitful sushi asparagus for £1 a bunch and stollen and the best mince pies

Latest posts

Back