More Beauty Lies!

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

barbedwire

Registered Shopper
Art thou sitting comfortably? Then let us begin. :bow:

I settled down with a cup of tea and a book last night with QVC on in the background. It was the 9pm SBC hour. I heard Alison raving about one of the face cleansers from the range and she said "this is a cleanser that is so different to ones you can pick up on the high street due to the natural ingredients in it. Many of the ones you buy from the high street are full of nasty chemicals which your skin absorbs, this one is natural..."

Now, shall we examine this bold claim further? :wink:

Here is the cleanser she was speaking of, with it's full ingredient list:

Aqua, Alcohol Denat, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hexylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Water, Sambucus Nigra (Elder) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba (Ginkgo) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Polquaterium-37, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexane Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.

At random, I picked two High Street brands. One from Boots, one a well known chain of natural skincare shops.

Here's the one from Boots, it's the Sanctuary Hot Cloth Cleanser

Aqua (Water), Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) seed butter, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) oil, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Cera alba, Glycerin, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan stearate, Camelina sativa seed oil, Diazolidinyl urea, Sodium benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Anthemis nobilis flower oil, Potassium sorbate, Triethanolamine, Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) peel oil, Limonene, Humulus lupulus (Hops) extract, Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) flower extract, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Dehydroacetic acid, Ethylhexyglycerin, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

Finally, here's the one I picked from Lush, which is their Ultrabland cleanser:

Almond Oil, Rose Water, Beeswax, Honey, Fresh Iris Extract, Glycerine, Rose Absolute, Tincture of Benzoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Anything in bold is either an obvious chemical or something that sounds dubious.

Right.

I'm not criticising any of the products or what's in them, but clearly as you can see, whilst the SBC Cleanser does have some natural ingredients in it, it clearly isn't a natural product. It also does quite clearly contain some harsher chemicals which your skin can absorb. Ditto the Sanctuary one (which on balance does look slightly better) and ditto the Lush one (interestingly out of the three of them the only one that contains parabens).

How many people would have fallen for the "it's a natural product" line last night and gone for it expecting something perhaps without anything harsh in it, when it's more likely the opposite?

I'm sure there are also countless other examples I could have picked both from QVC and the dreaded high street which prove this point. But, that, from AY last night is a bad show. The SBC cleanser isn't natural and does contain some of the same potential irritants and chemicals that are in other random skincare products that can be bought from other places.

They ought to be more careful and transparent when coming out with guff like this. This is why we need ingredient listings on QVC for skin care and make up products, so we can make an informed choice and really know whether something we can pick up for half the price from Boots will do the same job as something we're paying a premium price for with P&P from Q.

Erm.

The end.

*is going for a lie down in a darkened room*:grin:

qvc beauty "experts" give themselves lisence to talk rubbish very fluently as they know some of the viewing public will fall for it.

I would like to see the ingredients listings during the show, I don't think its too much to ask. Less of the words like prestigious,luxurious, premium and more factual information.

Art thou sitting comfortably? Then let us begin. :bow:

I settled down with a cup of tea and a book last night with QVC on in the background. It was the 9pm SBC hour. I heard Alison raving about one of the face cleansers from the range and she said "this is a cleanser that is so different to ones you can pick up on the high street due to the natural ingredients in it. Many of the ones you buy from the high street are full of nasty chemicals which your skin absorbs, this one is natural..."

Now, shall we examine this bold claim further? :wink:

Here is the cleanser she was speaking of, with it's full ingredient list:

Aqua, Alcohol Denat, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Hexylene Glycol, Butylene Glycol, Hamamelis Virginiana (Witch Hazel) Extract, PPG-1-PEG-9 Lauryl Glycol Ether, Rosa Damascena (Rose) Flower Water, Sambucus Nigra (Elder) Flower Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginkgo Biloba (Ginkgo) Extract, Cucumis Sativus (Cucumber) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Polquaterium-37, Phenoxyethanol, Parfum (Fragrance), Ethylhexylglycerin, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexane Carboxaldehyde, Linalool, Limonene, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate.

At random, I picked two High Street brands. One from Boots, one a well known chain of natural skincare shops.

Here's the one from Boots, it's the Sanctuary Hot Cloth Cleanser

Aqua (Water), Theobroma cacao (Cocoa) seed butter, Cocos nucifera (Coconut) oil, Cetearyl alcohol, Cetyl esters, Cera alba, Glycerin, Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) seed oil, Polysorbate 60, Sorbitan stearate, Camelina sativa seed oil, Diazolidinyl urea, Sodium benzoate, Disodium EDTA, Anthemis nobilis flower oil, Potassium sorbate, Triethanolamine, Citrus grandis (Grapefruit) peel oil, Limonene, Humulus lupulus (Hops) extract, Chamomilla recutita (Matricaria) flower extract, Phenoxyethanol, Benzoic acid, Dehydroacetic acid, Ethylhexyglycerin, Polyaminopropyl biguanide.

Finally, here's the one I picked from Lush, which is their Ultrabland cleanser:

Almond Oil, Rose Water, Beeswax, Honey, Fresh Iris Extract, Glycerine, Rose Absolute, Tincture of Benzoin, Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Anything in bold is either an obvious chemical or something that sounds dubious.

Right.

I'm not criticising any of the products or what's in them, but clearly as you can see, whilst the SBC Cleanser does have some natural ingredients in it, it clearly isn't a natural product. It also does quite clearly contain some harsher chemicals which your skin can absorb. Ditto the Sanctuary one (which on balance does look slightly better) and ditto the Lush one (interestingly out of the three of them the only one that contains parabens).

How many people would have fallen for the "it's a natural product" line last night and gone for it expecting something perhaps without anything harsh in it, when it's more likely the opposite?

I'm sure there are also countless other examples I could have picked both from QVC and the dreaded high street which prove this point. But, that, from AY last night is a bad show. The SBC cleanser isn't natural and does contain some of the same potential irritants and chemicals that are in other random skincare products that can be bought from other places.

They ought to be more careful and transparent when coming out with guff like this. This is why we need ingredient listings on QVC for skin care and make up products, so we can make an informed choice and really know whether something we can pick up for half the price from Boots will do the same job as something we're paying a premium price for with P&P from Q.

Erm.

The end.

*is going for a lie down in a darkened room*:grin:

Some of what Alison Young says is worthwhile in terms of product suitability & info but a lot of it is total cods imo! Unfortunately she's hookwinked me in the past with her speel into buying products that even I could tell would not suit someone with my skin or hair type from teh 1st application, same goes for friends & family. & with beauty products comes the inevitable expensive p&p both ways due to the weight.
SBC arnica & propolis gels seem to be good but I haven't used the rest, only the odd items that have been in with the arnica gel TSV years back. Unfortunately I don't trust what Alison says enough to potentially squander £12+ total p&p if returned.

Didn't I read that a lot of the SBC gels have a relatively high level of alcohol in them? I gave the collagen one away that came with the tsv, far too drying on my skin and gave me red allergic small red bumps on my body.

1. I don't know how they can get away with such blatant untruths from a trading standards point of view.

2. I tried the SBC collagen gel and it really dried out my skin. Threw it away. I know they say they use basic packaging to keep prices down but it's not that cheap !

3. I've bought a few bits from the Body Shop recently and found them very kind on my face, I must go and check their contents. Ditto with skincare from M&S.

Linda xx

Last edited:
Im very surprised andf cannot understand how qvc can get away with not displaying the product ingrediant list, say running at the bottom of the screen during the presentaion. It should be a compulsory and legal requirement but it would be nice if they did it voluntarily to enable the customer to make an informed decision

Something can be called natural even if there`s minimal natural igredients and loads of chemicals. As long as it actually contains some natural ingredients then they`re allowed to do so. Ingredients should be listed by Q and in the order they`re written on the bottle or jar, that way you can see the top 2 or 3 ingredients are the ones in the highest percentage and the supposed " natural " part might be right down at the bottom of the list in teeny weeny amounts. Skincare is a minefield of cons wherever you buy it from IMO and almost every brand makes silly claims about its products.

It's the same when Cathy Kangas says pure Prai only contains pure Prai extract and blah-de-blah...so what are these then?

C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Tribehenin, Ceramide 2, PEG Rapeseed Sterol, Palmitoyl Oligopeptide, Zingiber Cassumunar (PRAI) Root Oil, Amyl Cinnamal, Benzyl Salicylate, Geraniol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Limonene, Alpha-Isomethyl Ionone, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Fragrance (Parfum.)

clearly what makes up that other ingredient word she says. And I've bought it!

Im shocked. Have heard fizzy water often say about pure prai, having only 2 ingrediants, cannot believe that list. How do they get away with this? where are all the compliance people?

Vienna i do hope you're not implying that Gatineau doesn't own the patent to the actual "youth molecule"

I fell for the spiel during an SBC TSV and ordered it - very shocked that the second biggest ingredient was alcohol, a big No No for me and very drying on the skin! Returned ASAP and cimplained to cS that it should be made clear that products contain large quantities of alcohol, fell on deaf ears of course.

They will continue to get away with it until people complain to an official body.

I fell for the spiel during an SBC TSV and ordered it - very shocked that the second biggest ingredient was alcohol, a big No No for me and very drying on the skin! Returned ASAP and cimplained to cS that it should be made clear that products contain large quantities of alcohol, fell on deaf ears of course.

Me too LEL.... PLUS I even 'tried' to put on a review about the large amount of alcohol in them of which they DO NOT mention and of which OF COURSE got rejected - I tried a few times to put my review on, but to no avail

Tell me lies, tell me sweet little lies.

The thing we all need to realize is:

Alison Young will never ever dis a brand that QVC sell.
She does not personally pick each and every brand which appears on QVC. They have buyers who do that.

I actually wrote a review too FMS, and surprisingly they published mine, even though it was titled "OH NO, THIS CONTAINS LOADS OF ALCOHOL!" so had to give them a bit of credit for that.

Im very surprised andf cannot understand how qvc can get away with not displaying the product ingrediant list, say running at the bottom of the screen during the presentaion. It should be a compulsory and legal requirement but it would be nice if they did it voluntarily to enable the customer to make an informed decision

Probably because if they just did that we'd be none the wiser as I have no idea what some of those words actually mean. Even for natural ingredients they often use the latin or pharmaceutical translation. I think Alison just labels them as "essential preservatives" when she does refer to them. I guess it's difficult to explain some of the more scientific ingredients in layman's terms. I agree they could, when possible, give more info tho.

To hear the SBC guests go on you'd think the watery coloured gels were the answer to all our skin prayers! Unfortunately like Linda I found them to be bug all use for skin conditioning & were very drying. Q keep suggesting we can use the collagen one on our faces! Perish the thought having tried it on my body!

Has anybody used the Lacura serum and treatment oils from Aldi? They are on special this Sunday. I am using the day and night creams but wandered whether these are worth buying.

Maybe it should be renamed Colla-gin?! sounds like you're better off drinking it than wearing it.

I had a terrible reaction to the 3 in 1 cleanser/toner thing from SBC. My eyes were itchy and red and sore. In my ignorance I slapped on some SBC cucumber gel, which states it's for use in the 'eye zone area' (?!). So I reacted even worse to that and looked like I had gone 10 rounds with Frank Bruno. I contacted SBC who told me not to use cucumber gel on the eye due to the alcohol in it, just use it on the orbital bone and no closer to the eye. They very kindly refunded me the money I had outlayed for the cleanser and gel though. Wouldn't touch any of the stuf with a barge pole now.

Why does no-one ever challenge them about this? Have any Forumites ever e-mailed Q or rung in as a T-caller?

Latest posts

Back