My middle name is ............

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

First perfume I ever had as a young girl was Avon Pretty peach. My Mum`s friend sold Avon and my Mum was very loyal to her and seemed to buy something from every catalogue.
As I grew older I fell in love with Avon Rapture perfume which came in cream formula in a jar. I no longer have a bath just a shower and I used to love soaking in a bath full of bubbles from their huge bottles of bubble bath Merry mentioned above. Thinking about it, it was just one up from washing up liquid but it certainly foamed well.
Nowadays I think Avon like many other brands relies on online sales. I haven`t bought anything Avon for years but I know my DIL buys bits and bobs from them. She loves one of their mascaras and buys a few at a time just in case they discontinue it.
I did have a particular Avon lipstick which I really liked but its long gone.

First perfume I ever had as a young girl was Avon Pretty peach. My Mum`s friend sold Avon and my Mum was very loyal to her and seemed to buy something from every catalogue.
As I grew older I fell in love with Avon Rapture perfume which came in cream formula in a jar. I no longer have a bath just a shower and I used to love soaking in a bath full of bubbles from their huge bottles of bubble bath Merry mentioned above. Thinking about it, it was just one up from washing up liquid but it certainly foamed well.
Nowadays I think Avon like many other brands relies on online sales. I haven`t bought anything Avon for years but I know my DIL buys bits and bobs from them. She loves one of their mascaras and buys a few at a time just in case they discontinue it.
I did have a particular Avon lipstick which I really liked but its long gone.

I loved my Pretty Peach bath gel, lotion, powder and long-handled powder puff set when I was a kid. I think it was the peach-shaped top on the bottles that did it for me.

Their Original Skin So Soft bath still smells the same to me as it did when I was young. My dad banned it as he slipped and nearly did himself an injury in the bath despite my mum always cleaning it after her.

Yes, M&S t shirts used to be really great quality and I still own 4 years old ones I wear. Now, they are as thin as anything. They have ones at £12 and the quality is no better than ones at £8!
Couldn't agree more Donna.
I have 3 t shirts I've had for years, must be at least 5 years. They have been worn and washed repeatedly every Summer, great quality and lovely pastel colours.
Now it's thin material and gaudy logos on the front of most of them. Colours like sludge green as well.
Who wants that colour in Summer....or any other time come to that.

DISCONTINUED

Throughout my life whenever I find a product / item that I love then within months, nee weeks, when I go to buy it again its "sorry its discontinued" aaaaaaaaagh !

My latest must have that's no longer available is Elemis Total Glow Bronzing Lotion. Ok its no doubt ceased production months ago, but a tube lasts me months !!!!! I have since found stockists onlline, but how long before they too have limited stocks. This has led me to buy more than I currently need, but stockpiling is my only option !

Cooking ingredients are notorious for this.
Co-op had a great beef cooking sauce in a jar with herbs and spices in the lid - fabulous. No longer available
Waitrose & Sainsbury's had long life potatoes with bacon & onion in a sealed foil envelope (to fry in the pan) - wonderful as a stock cupboard standby. Dead and gone.
M & S stocked a tasty Yorkshire Blue cheese. Not anymore.

On and on it goes. Shades of lipstick, brands of foundation, and the worst of the lot are the hair colour companies who ditch a particular blonding tint, and which I buy like a woman possessed when I do find it in some obscure chemist in a side street !........all consigned to the land of Discontinued.

Grrrrrrrrr!
Home Bargains and Lidl have a potatoe, bacon and onion foil pack I don't know if it's the same as the Waitrose one as I don't shop that often there but, it's worth a try of the other ones. They are so handy to have in the cupboard! I sympathize thought it's horrible when your favourites are discontinued. 😔

Where do I begin? Almay foundation, Innoxa, Tescos Belgium Buns with lemon curd and fresh cream, Colman’s Mango Chutney, Colmans Wholegrain Mustard Powder, Sarsons Vinegar with Lemon, etc. I am like the ‘kiss of death’ to products …

I used to buy multi packs of Sloggi Tai knickers usually from my local Debenhams store which has now long gone. They were indestructible and I have some which are years old and still in good nick but recent Sloggis I`ve bought have been thinner fabric, less supportive and haven`t washed nowhere near as well. Yet another example of quality going downhill whilst their prices go up.

Home Bargains and Lidl have a potatoe, bacon and onion foil pack I don't know if it's the same as the Waitrose one as I don't shop that often there but, it's worth a try of the other ones. They are so handy to have in the cupboard! I sympathize thought it's horrible when your favourites are discontinued. 😔
Thanks for that, I shall be hot-footing there to see what there is. Such a good stand-by especially during lock down.

I used to buy multi packs of Sloggi Tai knickers usually from my local Debenhams store which has now long gone. They were indestructible and I have some which are years old and still in good nick but recent Sloggis I`ve bought have been thinner fabric, less supportive and haven`t washed nowhere near as well. Yet another example of quality going downhill whilst their prices go up.
They have a variety of the tai on Amazon Vienna.
I love Sloggi, have worn them for years but they get harder to find on the high street and Amazon have special price days which is great.

Vienna I’m in the middle of searching out half decent sloggi kickers . Like yourself I have loads of old ones in white, skin tone and black. Bought a 3+1 pack last week and they are a completely different shape despite being the same type. i also noticed some bad reviews on various sites saying they thought some were looky likey not the real thing despite being packaged and sold as Sloggi.

Vienna I’m in the middle of searching out half decent sloggi kickers . Like yourself I have loads of old ones in white, skin tone and black. Bought a 3+1 pack last week and they are a completely different shape despite being the same type. i also noticed some bad reviews on various sites saying they thought some were looky likey not the real thing despite being packaged and sold as Sloggi.
Yep LATI they are terrible now. Thinner fabric, not as good fit and don`t wash as well or last as long.

I like 3/4 length leg pyjamas. Always bought in M&S £12.50 a pair, I get two years out of them washing ironing and wearing. So two weeks ago wander in a bit of a sale to go look at the pyjamas, usually down to £9.50 in the sale. They have stopped selling them! Full length, which I have to turn up! Or vest top with shorts, no!

Went to Dunnes and got the ones I want for £6 a pair, so bought 4 pairs.

Donna - Same problem! I'm short. Full length pyjamas don't work for me and I always bought M&S crops. For future reference, I've just bought some from Damart and they're lovely.

L'Oreal Age Perfect Colour Care, great temporary hair colour which covered grey really well and naturally has been recently discontinued. There doesnt seem to be a replacement for it in another brand either. Really shocked it’s gone as it was popular (is available on Amazon, probably the last of the supplies]

Apple, its THE best I've ever used, and it seems that as soon as it came onto the market its been stopped. HOWEVER I discovered it on Amazon a while ago and have stocked up. WHY DO THEY DO THIS ???? If a product is hard to get then its clearly popular so where's the logic in discontinuing it ???

M&S quality has gone right down, you only need to look at the hundreds of 1 star reviews on Trustpilot to see how a once great company has gone down the toilet. The Guardian reported some time ago that M&S ready meals are now made by whoever makes Morrison's ready meals, but the M&S prices are substantially higher. Also, I read an interview with the then UK head honcho, who said that time had moved on and Marks now needed to compete with retailers like Primark, thus bringing younger customers in. Their customer support is now outsourced to South Africa, and some of the experiences detailed in reviews are terrible, very far from the old reliable customer service which most of us grew up with. Their
clothing is now mostly made in Bangladesh, India or China, and the quality and sizing is now dire. As mentioned by others earlier, the knickers, tee shirts and nightwear are nothing like they used to be, the sizing is all over the place and the material is often thin and rough.
Another one bites the dust, a sign of the times, unfortunately.

40+ years ago, my dad worked in a factory that manufactured a lot of M&S stock and he says, even back then, the quality tests they had to adhere to were extremely stringent and goods would be rejected at the drop of a hat if they weren't 100% perfect. Factory visits by M&S were very regular as well to make sure that the quality was as they expected.
I highly doubt that any of this happens now though.

Latest posts

Back