Nail polish: I wondered if …..

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Loveinamist

Registered Shopper
there’s been complaints about longevity. On both NailsInc and OPI shows this week they’ve mentioned “sandwiching” the colour between base and top coats for maximum manicure time. Is it to sell these extra items or are they really needed? Personally, I’ve had better longevity from Essie with just topcoat on top of colour.

there’s been complaints about longevity. On both NailsInc and OPI shows this week they’ve mentioned “sandwiching” the colour between base and top coats for maximum manicure time. Is it to sell these extra items or are they really needed? Personally, I’ve had better longevity from Essie with just topcoat on top of colour.
They just want people to use the stuff up quicker, imo.

I can't use any of the premium brands from QVC and its taken me decades to work it out. My nails are horrid. They peel are super dry and now I am at a certain age some are ridged. Nail polish lasts a day before its chipping off.

Recently I was in M&S and I used their nail range. There was loads of deals and good discounts. Imo its far better than the premium brands that cost a fortune and don't work on me. They are made in France and have excellent small, rounded, flat brushes which is good for me with my stubby nail beds

They have a nail colour collection thats a gel you dont need a light to set. Its not perfect but it lasts 4 days on me and nothing else does. It dries super fast. You have to set it with a special top coat that was around £5.00. I have been sticking to neutral shades as when they chip a little they dont look gross. No more QVC high end brands for me. Waste of money

Last edited:
I might give that a try Boffy when next in Marks. Thanks for the tip, we sound like we have similar nails!
I may give it a try too, I have tried all the brands Q sell as well as many others, every one chips within 24 hours even using a decent top coat, even some gel manicures i can chip within a few days, so it makes me reluctant to paint them as I like the bright or dark shades and they look awful when chipped , am going to give the M&S ones a go

It's something they've been advocating for years. I think it's just there term 'sandwiching' is newer. I've always found that base coat, polish and top coat in combo is the best way to get a smooth and longer-lasting manicure.

I can't use any of the premium brands from QVC and its taken me decades to work it out. My nails are horrid. They peel are super dry and now I am at a certain age some are ridged. Nail polish lasts a day before its chipping off.

Recently I was in M&S and I used their nail range. There was loads of deals and good discounts. Imo its far better than the premium brands that cost a fortune and don't work on me. They are made in France and have excellent small, rounded, flat brushes which is good for me with my stubby nail beds

They have a nail colour collection thats a gel you dont need a light to set. Its not perfect but it lasts 4 days on me and nothing else does. It dries super fast. You have to set it with a special top coat that was around £5.00. I have been sticking to neutral shades as when they chip a little they dont look gross. No more QVC high end brands for me. Waste of money
Boffy can I ask if it is the Autograph range? Thanks

It's something they've been advocating for years. I think it's just there term 'sandwiching' is newer. I've always found that base coat, polish and top coat in combo is the best way to get a smooth and longer-lasting manicure.
I agree they have stated using base and top coat for years!!

I may give it a try too, I have tried all the brands Q sell as well as many others, every one chips within 24 hours even using a decent top coat, even some gel manicures i can chip within a few days, so it makes me reluctant to paint them as I like the bright or dark shades and they look awful when chipped , am going to give the M&S ones a go
Wait for the specials they sometimes do

I agree they have stated using base and top coat for years!!
I’ve used base and top coat for over 30 years. I trained as a beauty therapist in the late ‘80s and we were taught to use them then. Nail polish will usually be good for around 5 days but I usually get bored before then. I agree that nail polish did used to last longer but it did used to have more nasty chemicals in.

I have appalling nails due to illness and probably genetics too, so in general I stick to painting my toe-nails only, which weirdly will last weeks without chipping or anything (usually with NI or Essie as below).

On my hands, it’s a different story although I do persevere, albeit only for more special occasions!

With Nails Inc, and most generic brands, I use a base coat to fill ridges and prevent staining etc (Nails Inc Nailkale is really good).
Then two coats and a top coat of 45 second caviar etc.

A couple of years ago, my SIL bought me a duo of Essie Gel Couture - a colour and the gel top coat.

It’s a gel-like system with no need for UV etc and I really like it. Gives plump results and stays on my nails pretty well..

They don’t do a base coat and say not to use one as colour adheres better without it.
You just apply two coats of colour plus the top coat. (Apparently you can use that top coat on other brands’ polishes but not tried that!)

Prices vary but I think duo was £15 ish and I’ve never paid more than about £7 for colours (eBay or Superdrug etc)...

The Autograph “Flash“ range referred to above (usually £7.50 for colour and the top coat but there do do offers) is a similar concept to the Essie one. I’ve only tried it once when a friend painted my hands with her polish and it did okay, but I preferred the Essie and more choice etc and already have their top coat!)

PS. (One tip I’ve heard is to use nail varnish remover on nails before applying any nail varnish (even on bare nails) to get rid of oils etc to help adhere).

Also been recommended CND RescueRxx a keratin oil treatment tbing! Have got a mini bottle of it and trying on my nails for a few weeks to see if they become less thin and flaky etc. I prefer applying an oil than any of the Nail hardeners etc I’ve tried before which made them more brittle!

Yes its Autograph. They do quite a few ranges. There is one range that is quick no base or top coat needed lasts a few days on me then just take it off and start again. They are quite quick drying to.
I have the same sort of nails as you too Boffy and have also tried most of the QVC brands. The one I like at the moment is Orly Breathable range - no need for base or top coat and quick drying. Lasts a few days on me which is better than the most! I must try the M&S ones too...

I swear by Leighten Denny's crystal nail file as it gives the nail a really good edge, then I take the top coat over the edge of the nail to seal it and it can help to prevent early chipping. I agree that some colours don't last as long these days, but if I want a long lasting colour, I use a metallic or chrome effect or more glittery colours as they last longer on my nails. I had Nails Inc Crushing on Rubies on for a week, and I only took it off on Sunday as I wanted a change. I use a base coat and Nails Inc 45 second top coat and I always use rubber gloves !

I have the same sort of nails as you too Boffy and have also tried most of the QVC brands. The one I like at the moment is Orly Breathable range - no need for base or top coat and quick drying. Lasts a few days on me which is better than the most! I must try the M&S ones too...
I find it all very annoying spending an age doing my nails (base coat,colour and top coat That takes ages to dry. Within a day its all chipped. When I buy the all in one if it chips after a few days I don't mind as it takes a few minutes to do a mini manicure. Its far better than my not very nice nails being on show.

Ditto all the problems above. I do the nail polish remover swipe on my nails too to remove oil. I bought the cutique stuff with the scraper as the idea is to remove residue from the nail as it grows out from the cuticle. Well I don’t rate it, I had nothing to scrape off, I thought that was the reason for my manicure not lasting but hey ho it wasn‘t.

Latest posts

Back