Nauseating...

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Polly Esther

Registered Shopper
The Steiff bears show on now. Three adults cooing and talking to stuffed toys. THEY AREN'T REAL!!! :wonder:

I thought those utter idiots on the Charlie Bears show were bad enough!!

And who the hell pays over £300 for a teddy bear?!

The Steiff bears show on now. Three adults cooing and talking to stuffed toys. THEY AREN'T REAL!!! :wonder:

Anyone who wants to I suppose. As long as they aren't racking up huge debts in the process then each to their own.

Arctophiles (bear lovers) will pay a great deal to add to their collections and why not? I just have a few bears and have been known to talk to them on occasion. If that makes me 'nauseating' then sorry but I can think of a lot worse things that turn my stomach.

Much though I like Steiff I am more into characters than bears but if they gave me the stock free I couldn't watch CB present the show.

I do look at these and the Charlie Bears too. Then common sense tells me, 10 minutes with the cats and disemboweled Teddy.

Luckily enough I've never had one of the bears actually disemboweled by my series of cats. A bit mauled possibly and to attract attention at breakfast time, methodically swiped off the shelf one by one.

Anyone who wants to I suppose. As long as they aren't racking up huge debts in the process then each to their own.

Er...I'm well aware of that thanks! They wouldn't sell otherwise.

Sorry. Let me rephrase. I, personally, find it odd that people can spend such a lot of money on furry bag of stuffing. In my personal opinion. :wonder: If you enjoy it and can afford to, then fine! But to an non er "arcophile"?!??! it seems strange. Sorry!

Personally, I find a grown woman, well into her forties, posing a cuddly toy around, pretending to make it wave it's arms and pretending it's talking in a moronic voice, disturbing to say the least. But hey, clearly I need to "lighten up" eh?!

But hey, clearly I need to "lighten up" eh?!

Yup. That amount of distaste and reaction seems disproportionate. Acting playfully on occasion is functional and healthy adult behaviour. Teddy bears, for most people, have associations with comfort in their own childhood, and providing pleasure and comfort to their own children. It's hardly surprising that an adult handling cute teddy bears will behave in a different manner to when they're dealing with, say, stainless steel cookware. Finding this behaviour distasteful to the degree that you seem to, suggests that you have unresolved issues of your own.

But 'lighten up' is a much quicker way to say that.

I am now in my 50's (Blimey where has the time gone?) and I must admit I am really silly when it comes to bears. Having a one year old grandaughter is a great excuse to act really daft!! I was being watched the other day creeping around a curtain shop with my grandaughters teddy playing hide and seek with them. The poor woman thought I was mad!! Was I embarrassed.......NO!! I can't help being who I am, in fact a little bit of daftness lightens my life

Well, I'm not ashamed to admit I'm a bear lover, there are far worse vices as far as I'm concerned.

Anyway, there are less safe places to put your money. Have you bothered to check the prices of old bears or some of the newer,limited editions on the secondary market?

Yup. That amount of distaste and reaction seems disproportionate. Acting playfully on occasion is functional and healthy adult behaviour. Teddy bears, for most people, have associations with comfort in their own childhood, and providing pleasure and comfort to their own children. It's hardly surprising that an adult handling cute teddy bears will behave in a different manner to when they're dealing with, say, stainless steel cookware. Finding this behaviour distasteful to the degree that you seem to, suggests that you have unresolved issues of your own.

But 'lighten up' is a much quicker way to say that.

WHAT? Because I found someone on a shopping channel rather silly and had the audacity comment on it, I have unresolved issues?

I'm sorry if I have upset people by creating this thread, as clearly those who have replied don't feel the same as me.. That's fine - we're all different, and I'll know better than to comment in future - will just have a little laugh to myself.

Again, I'm sorry if my lighthearted thread hit a nerve - but hurling personal abuse at me is downright low. I had the impression this was a forum about shopping tv. Which was what I was commenting on. However much you may not agree with what I posted - that sort of comment about ME, when you know absolutely nothing about me, is below the belt.

I daresay I will be shot down in flames for saying that - say you what want about shopping tv subjects, but please think before you post things like that. You know nothing of other's personal circumstances.

I never say lighten up to anyone, I don't like being said to me if nothing else. I also don't talk to my furry toys or even my highly politically incorrect felt ones but I marvel at the skill used to create them particularly with the fibres that are tricky like mohair and alpaca. When I saw the first piece of Stieff Disney in canine (it was Pluto) it was uncanny, as if you plucked him from the screen, absolutely perfect. I later spoke to a lady from Stieff in Germany and she told me the piece was almost 4 years in the making before both parties were happy with it. I am a massive toon head so this was probably an inevitable relationship :grin:
I didn't realise the initial post was light hearted I'm afraid or I wouldn't have answered myself. I felt it was critical rather than comical, sorry for getting that wrong:sad:

Last edited:
Well I agree with you, Birdie. Don't really understand why people have jumped on you.

I'm curious. Do you genuinely believe those words to be light-hearted?

I think, to most readers, they come across as disparaging, aggressive and provocative. As you must be well aware that there are many fans of teddy bears on this forum, then I think it's very unlikely that your intentions were benign.

Perhaps you could rephrase your initial post in a way that does not suggest that people who take pleasure in stuffed bears are 'utter idiots', nor that people are to be sneered at for spending their money in ways that you do not approve of.

I think, to most readers, they come across as disparaging, aggressive and provocative. As you must be well aware that there are many fans of teddy bears on this forum, then I think it's very unlikely that your intentions were benign.

Perhaps you could rephrase your initial post in a way that does not suggest that people who take pleasure in stuffed bears are 'utter idiots', nor that people are to be sneered at for spending their money in ways that you do not approve of.

I think the techical term is "digging to try and get out of a hole and trying to make out they are the offended party in the process"

:thinking:

I fully admit to being ( in the words of the op) one of those "idiots" and of exhibiting "disturbing" behaviour with regard those "furry bags of stuffing" She is totally entitled to her opinion as are the thousands of bear fans out there. But I felt the comments to be harshly critical not light-hearted at all. Oh dear might have to go and cuddle a bear for comfort now :tongue

I agree with you on this one I can't stand watching their idiotic antics. I have nothing against teddybears or people who collect them but I just can't watch this drivel so I DON'T.

Bears I can handle - each to their own but its those creepy dolls they used to sell that got me. Anyone remember Marie Osmond flogging them - weird things. Some of them cost a fortune as well.

Final post, as I've had enough now and quite frankly have better things to do.

YES - it was light hearted. To be honest I fail to see how a post about shopping TV could be anything but! I had no idea this was a forum about serious issues - wrong again I guess!

i have nothing against bears - I have cuddly toys laying around (albeit not expensive ones) And if you re read my post, you will see that I haven't called anyone who BUYS the bears "utter idiots". This was regarding the presenters of that Charlie Bears show. Because I really do feel that's how THEY act on air.

And as for "taking offence". Yes. Sorry but I have. I made a post about my personal opinion of the way the presenter on today's show was acting and how I found it amazing that people spend vast amounts of money on cuddly toys (clearly they do, and that's fine!). Maybe, having had a recent miscarriage, being told I have unresolved issues and don't understand about people taking comfort in childish things by a total stranger, your comments hit a very very raw nerve. Please feel free to take that as "digging", but I felt personal comments were uncalled for. So time to step back from the internet for me.

Now back to real life. Because that, I am reminding myself this afternoon, is REALLY what's important.

Again, apologies if I've upset anyone, but judgement seems to have been passed already and I'm clearly a malicious threadstarter with no soul!

Latest posts

Back