"NEVER see this price again"

The Insider

VIP Shopper
"NEVER see this price again"

They said that all through the 'Mega Make Way for 2015 Clearance' - now this morning back to creation and they're "matching" mega make way prices.

But don't worry they will "never do that sort of price per carat on a piece that's not in a clearance" - there not actually in a clearance but they "went to a clearance price".

What qualifies a "clearance price" I wonder?

:mysmilie_502:

carrots

Never see this price again.............. strictly speaking it doesn't mean it won't be cheaper or dearer at a later date, just not that exact price.
I know we all like to think it means it's the cheapest price we'll ever see, based on general usage of the term, although it may not be the case - so technically not breaking any rules.

I'd have thought a clearance price was one that cut the profit so low in order to get a sale, but still covered the cost of the item meaning they broke even and didn't make a loss.

"Clearance price" means absolutely nothing. It's a way of claiming that viewers are getting a lower-than-usual price, when actually, they can sell it at the same price or higher - and not get into trouble by the ASA.

Bid TV regularly did "warehouse clearance" days - and I remember a few occasions where items actually sold for more during the clearances than they did on a normal day. They were reported to the ASA - but the complaints were not upheld.

The ASA said that they were not upholding the complaints because they had given no indication that prices were going to be reduced - they simply said that they were having a clearance and selling stock from the warehouse.

The public see "clearance" as "sale" - whereas as far as the businesses and the ASA are concerned, "clearance" means "shifting bulk stock".

Technically, as they're always selling stock, every day is a clearance - and the price at the time is the price they chose to "clear" the item out at.

It's a careful play on words - and morally, it's a bit wrong because these channels know what the public are expecting when the word clearance is mentioned - but regardless, if they're selling stock and referring to it as a clearance, then they're doing nothing wrong.

It's a grey area / loophole in the advertising rules. A legal way of misleading without actually doing anything wrong.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meenakshibuildworld

Members online

AdBlock Detected

Thank you for visiting ShoppingTelly.com

We get it, advertisements are annoying, however without them this forum would cease to exist.

Members of ShoppingTelly.com can go TOTALLY AD FREE, VIP LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP is just £10!

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks