New seals on Yankee Candle jars

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Flamenco

Registered Shopper
My Yankee Candle Xmas Surprise or OTO (can't remember) arrived this morning - on a side note it arrived quickly given I ordered it on Sunday night

http://www.qvcuk.com/Yankee-Candle-Set-of-3-Winter-Fragranced-Large-Jar-Candles.product.700210.html?upsh=1

The candles were extremely well packed in a very strong box (I was a bit worried they'd get broken in transit - my first time ordering YC online).

However, all 3 large jars are sealed! I'm pretty confident I'll keep this set (the p&p is too horrendous to return) but to open the jars and whiff the fragrances I need to break the seal. Say I didn't like the fragrances, then I couldn't return them under the DSR (and thus get my original p&p back) as I've broken the seal and am not returning them in re-saleable condition. Maybe there is a moot point that its not unreasonable for me to open the jars to smell the fragrance - there's no other way and I can't smell anything by just trying to have a whiff at the neck of the jar. I wonder what QVC's stance on that would be.

On a further point, I've never seen the seals before. I have 2-3 local Yankee stockists and none of the jars I've seen have the seal. Just thinking cynically, I wonder whether the seal is a QVC thing to deter returns under the DSR. I probably am thinking the worst of QVC in this respect and may well be wrong.

Has anyone else bought sealed YC jars elsewhere?

nope - i've never seen seals. surprised you can't smell them through the seal though.

So was I. I have actually whiffed all of them at my local garden centre a couple of weeks ago so I know I like them but if I had been buying blind so to speak, I'd have no idea what they smell like without breaking the seals, which pretty much cover the entire top of the jar.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk

I've had these seals on Yankee candles in the past so it's not something new. In the past I've managed to get the lid off without breaking the seal, usually in my impatience to smell them, however I had the same delivery today Flamenco and I couldn't get the lids off without breaking the seals, and for the first time I actually had the same thought as you.
:thinking:

You could have got one decent one from diptyque for that :0)

Overpriced pretentious candles Diptyque are, IMO . I like the Fig fragrance but refuse to pay those sort of prices for 1 little candle. Maybe when I win the Euromillions but not until then.

My local Wyevale actually removes the lids on all the YC jars due to the high amount of shoplifting. The manager was telling me that you collect the lid at the till when you pay. Apparently other local YC stockists are following suit. It deters the professional shoplifters who offload their swag straight onto Ebay when they get home from their "shopping" trip.

ive had several sets of 3 yankee candles from QVC and they have all come like that

mind you the postage on the set of 3 are always good because ive sent a large one to a friend and it cost me £5.95 and thats how much i paid in postage for the 3 from QVC

However, all 3 large jars are sealed! I'm pretty confident I'll keep this set (the p&p is too horrendous to return) but to open the jars and whiff the fragrances I need to break the seal. Say I didn't like the fragrances, then I couldn't return them under the DSR (and thus get my original p&p back) as I've broken the seal and am not returning them in re-saleable condition. Maybe there is a moot point that its not unreasonable for me to open the jars to smell the fragrance - there's no other way and I can't smell anything by just trying to have a whiff at the neck of the jar. I wonder what QVC's stance on that would be.

You can open items under DSR, that's the point of it

See point 3.58
http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf

Can I insist that consumers who cancel an order within the
cancellation period return the goods as new or in their
original packaging?
3.58 No. Consumers are under a duty to take reasonable care of the goods
while in their possession as discussed in paragraph 3.44. The DSRs
allow consumers to examine goods they have ordered as they would
in a shop. If that requires opening the packaging and trying out the
goods then they have not breached their duty to take reasonable
care of the goods. In these circumstances you cannot insist that
consumers return the goods as new or in their original packaging.
You may ask consumers to return goods with the original packaging,
but you cannot insist on this. In the case of goods such as earrings
that have hygiene seals, you may require consumers to exercise
reasonable care by not removing the seals when examining them

i dont think you have to pay to return them though flamenco as they wiegh quite a bit even if you used them under qcv mbg. with yankees i have to burn them as you really dont know how strong the fragance is until you burn them. a diptyque candle would cost nearly the same as your box of candles. nice but pricewise they are in a different league!

I have had to pay to return yc back to QVC,they refused to come and get it by courier...so I kept them :sad:

Thanks for that info. Very helpful on the point of breaking the seals. I like the fragrances anyway, as I have whiffed them before so won't be returning them. The cost of return to QVC under the DSR has to be paid by the consumer so I doubt very much QVC would come collect or pay!

I am going to return the Bare Minerals TSV though. I've not opened anything but the colours are yuk. Don't know what I was thinking at the time.

Latest posts

Back