Nick Allsbury - YoYo Man

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

BurlyBeaR

Registered Shopper
last time i saw nick he was as thin as a rake. just seen him doing the TV TSV and he's mister chubby again.

this is clearly a man who knows how to lose weight, he's done it about 5 times now from what i recall. but someone ought to tell him that this constant yo-yo weight-loss and weight-gain is probably not doing him a great deal of good. if he cant maintain what he considers to be an ideal weight then he should go for something thats achievable and aim to stay there.

i actually think he looks better fatter meself anyway.

here endeth the preaching

Dr. B. Bear
(size small)

Pardon my ignorance, but who is Nick Allsbury? Is he a guest presenter? Thanks

He's the fella who does Samsung on there - he seems like a genuine sort of guy too. He did that Lighter Life thing last time didn't he? I remember him saying on air.

I have every sympathy with him.

I too remember him saying he had done one of the VLCDs (very low cal diets) - can't remember whether it was Cambridge Diet or Lighter life. In any case, they are practically the same. Starving yourself while living on packets of milkshake or soup and then gradually introducing food back in when you've lost weight (quickly).

And I speak from experience, having lost over 3 stones doing Cambridge diet 3 years ago. I was really happy about it at the time, and the people doing the diet themselves who see the weight come off will tell you it's wonderful. The people on the CD forum were nothing short of evangelical/obsessive about it all.

Trouble is, no matter how well intentioned you are about "adding food back in gradually" and "following the plan steps" it doesn't really work like that. You haven't trained yourself about why you put on the weight in the first place and it goes back on. Then you have another go at it....and lose a bit....then put it back on.

Oh and another side effect for me was ending up with gallstones, horrific pain, being rushed to hospital by ambulance twice and having to have my gallbladder removed by keyhole surgery. And I'm now almost the size I was before I started it all!

Let's hope if Mr Alsbury wants to shift the weight, he finds another way to do it this time. As the poster above said, this yo-yo dieting is so bad for you.

Nick used to pop the odd post on this forum before they got 'banned' from doing so.

I'm a size 4-6 myself, and even I thought he had lost too much weight and was looking ill. He could do with gaining at least another stone back.

Poor Nick. Well we are all meant to be different shapes and sizes so perhaps he is just meant to be a big guy. He's a nice bloke so he should try and be happy the way he is I think.

he's probably gets the "lose weight or youre going to DIE" sermon from the doctor, he does it, everyone says well done and as Birdie says it just goes back on again.

i'm REALLY tired of the medical profession going on and on about overweight people. along with alcohol its becme the latest stick to beat us up with. if we were as dismissive of anorexics as we are about people at the opposite end of the scale we would be accused of being cruel to people with a serious illness, yet with people who are overweight it appears to be "open season".

i may be a paranoid nutter, and yes i may have an axe to grind because i'm a porker who likes a drink myself, but i cant help thinking that the YOURE TOO FAT and YOU DRINK TOO MUCH messages we';re continually bombarded with are just the latest diversionary tactic to take our attention away from some of the really serious sh*t thats happening in this country.

I'm surprised he's still on qvc after breaking that large telly live on air.

Don't pity him

I have known Nick for over 10 years...I met him at QVC towers and he helped me a lot when I first went on air. Nick would not want you to pity him. He is deeply unhappy at putting on weight and has tried most diets. He does not believe that he is meant to be big....He has a wardrobe full of lovely clothes that do not fit. He is a great guy, will do anything for anybody and has one hell of a sense of humour....He is also a very good singer..not that we are likely to hear that on QVC. Send him encouragement...he is on Facebook...He is determined to oose weight again. He has a beautiful wife and a fantastic son who he wants to see grow up...although he is already the same height as Nick. He has sympathy for all fellow large people, However...He wants to live a long life and will have a better fchnace if he is not so heavyive remarks.... I will pass on your supportive comments...he is not allowed on this forum.

oh yeah.... forgot about that :happy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TncGrpYVBpA

Erm, "Whoops?" :giggle:

There's nothing worse than people who are either carrying too much weight for their frame, or too little.

The problem we have is that society says "big = bad", even where "big" may be best for individuals. I mean, diets etc are all about being the thinnest and lightest you can get; never mind the fact that people who exercise regularly (not me!) build muscle which is heavier than fat!

We live in an age where more people are educated than ever before and we have access to more information than our parents and grandparents ever did. But people get chastised as being possibly unhealthy for not being totally unhealthy by maintaining an impossible weight level. And we buy into it! Women look at Victoria Beckham and, rather than pity her for wanting to look like a preying mantis in drag, actually want to look like her!

I'm never going to be thin: I'm lazy and I love my food. But so what? I'd rather be true to myself than do what some self-appointed do-gooder says what's right.

After all, I'm going to die whether I'm overweight or not. So why not enjoy myself while I have the opportunity?

I have known Nick for over 10 years...I met him at QVC towers and he helped me a lot when I first went on air. Nick would not want you to pity him. He is deeply unhappy at putting on weight and has tried most diets. He does not believe that he is meant to be big....He has a wardrobe full of lovely clothes that do not fit. He is a great guy, will do anything for anybody and has one hell of a sense of humour....He is also a very good singer..not that we are likely to hear that on QVC. Send him encouragement...he is on Facebook...He is determined to oose weight again. He has a beautiful wife and a fantastic son who he wants to see grow up...although he is already the same height as Nick. He has sympathy for all fellow large people, However...He wants to live a long life and will have a better fchnace if he is not so heavyive remarks.... I will pass on your supportive comments...he is not allowed on this forum.

Please do - he seems such a lovely bloke and very genuine. One of the few 'techie guests' I learn things from. I have problems with eating 'at the other end of the scale' so while I don't suffer in the same way I do totally sympathise with Nick.

Pass on my best. He seems like a smashing fella.

Latest posts

Back