Now we know.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

Interesting figures and heartfelt posts. You're right, we're all free to do what we want with our own money of course and I suppose we're all touched by different experiences and causes.

What lovely ideas, and so easy to do. You tend to forget that both ends of the age spectrum need to be kept cosy and warm. Penny, I bet loads of knitters with oddments would gladly donate, and I've seen cheap wool in Lidl's from time to time.. Where I live we have a monthly village magazine, do you have anything similar where you could put an ad ?

She gets wool sometimes from the charities she knits for. The main place I get wool is from a place in Cardiff. Their online ordering is excellent. If you order by about 1pm delivery is the following day for £25 spend. I love doing that order and stock control, working out which colours coordinate for a winter blanket, or a nice spring fresh bright look.

Strangly a favourite is two shades of "rust" for autumn. An emerald green and vibrant yellow for spring. Or shocking pink and baby for a splash of colour. The next two blankets are not going to be good for me.... Each square different. Not even started and I'm going crazy. I will not be edging those with my best crochet stitches. Yes I do a bit now and again but while soil my dodgy reputation with a bit of good I do. 😏

The only animal charity that gets any of my money is Guide Dogs for the Blind, because I can't think of anything worse than losing my sight. Having worked with children all my life, it still amazes me that animal charities get larger bequests than charities which help sick children. But that's just my point of view. I don't like cruelty to animals, don't get me wrong, but children are simply irreplaceable.

I totally understand what you mean and of course there can be no comparison, but to people like me who are childless, their animals are irreplaceable,

No, it lubricates the pipes. I love whisky.

CC
When I was about 2 or 3 I had a bad cold and Grandad gave me milk with whisky in before I went to bed. The next morning I couldn't stand up apparently. My Mum called the Doctor in a panic and it turned out that I was drunk. Grandad never drank so didn't realise just how much he had put in 🙄

When I was about 2 or 3 I had a bad cold and Grandad gave me milk with whisky in before I went to bed. The next morning I couldn't stand up apparently. My Mum called the Doctor in a panic and it turned out that I was drunk. Grandad never drank so didn't realise just how much he had put in 🙄
Tell your cat I'm coming for him!

I have daughters & grandchildren & all my animals have been irreplaceable. I can't imagine my life without animals so completely understand your feelings.
Fair enough. But I know of many people who have been heartbroken when a much loved pet passes, but after a while, they get another dog/cat. Whereas two of my circle of friends have lost children and those little children were/are simply irreplaceable in the true sense of the word.

Fair enough. But I know of many people who have been heartbroken when a much loved pet passes, but after a while, they get another dog/cat. Whereas two of my circle of friends have lost children and those little children were/are simply irreplaceable in the true sense of the word.
We lost our first child, I walk with that loss every day of my life.

We lost our first child, I walk with that loss every day of my life.
I'm so so sorry. The friends I mentioned above say the same thing (as did my paternal Grandmother). I honestly can't think of a worse thing in life, much worse than losing one's sight.

I'm so so sorry. The friends I mentioned above say the same thing (as did my paternal Grandmother). I honestly can't think of a worse thing in life, much worse than losing one's sight.
Thank you. I think of us as parents of three children & carry him in my heart. However, I know that his life would never have been what we, or he, would have wanted. I was told that acceptance changes grief & I accepted that nature knew best.

I support 2 local hospices I did some voluntary work in one for a while and it was obvious how their money was spent. It’s a lovely comfy place with lots of staff and activities for patients - some there briefly for respite care, managed pain relief etc. I’m reassured that they get maximum results from our donations.

Having worked in international banking for years, I’ve seen how charity and aid monies sent abroad are “allocated”. The number of “commission” and “agents fees” accounts some charities set up for their overseas based projects is shocking. Goodness knows how much of the donations & aid actually reaches the poor people who desperately need it.

There is no doubt if you want to go down the route of medical research it’s the big boys you have to give to but I agree that small local charities can benefit far more as the associated admin is negligible.

Thank you. I think of us as parents of three children & carry him in my heart. However, I know that his life would never have been what we, or he, would have wanted. I was told that acceptance changes grief & I accepted that nature knew best.
So sorry for your loss Twilight and my heart goes out to all parents who have lost a child. Some younger friends of ours got married a couple of years ago and instead of a bouquet the bride carried a white teddy bear down the aisle. Their little girl had died 18 months earlier aged just 5 months and her ashes were inside the teddy bear. There wasn`t a dry eye during that ceremony but they wanted their child to be a part of the day and which they were hoping she would have been their flower girl.

So sorry for your loss Twilight and my heart goes out to all parents who have lost a child. Some younger friends of ours got married a couple of years ago and instead of a bouquet the bride carried a white teddy bear down the aisle. Their little girl had died 18 months earlier aged just 5 months and her ashes were inside the teddy bear. There wasn`t a dry eye during that ceremony but they wanted their child to be a part of the day and which they were hoping she would have been their flower girl.
Thank you Vienna. That must have been the most emotional occasion, how brave they were.

Because he's lush & I want him. (admiring th enew pic)
Oh I see 😄 I thought that you had caught him doing something that he shouldn't have - which is most of the time! Mr Twirl has just wrestled a solar light off of him that he has just dismantled in the garden 🙄
Milo is a big, softy really-so affectionate and very vocal.
I have a feeling that you would soon be bringing him back to me though 🤭

I cannot even imagine how anyone would cope with the loss of a child and irreplaceable is not even the right word.

When my beloved dogs have died, yes I have got another but it is a new soul to care for, not a replacement for the one lost. Death is sadly a hole that can never be filled.

CC

At 72 and my little heartbeat being 7, I pray I have her with me for another 6-7 years - which will take me to almost 80, and then I'm done. My biggest fear is 'going' before her, and living alone its the stuff of nightmares that something could happen and I wouldn't be found for quite a while, which means my little dog would be wandering around the house with no food etc. I just keep thinking positive and cling on to the hope that we're growing old together.

Latest posts

Back