Now we know.....

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

And a reply to another post which I can't find the quote, but someone said that you never know what is around the corner.

I had an example of this today in a zoom meeting, which I have fairly regularly with a few friends.

One of them said she had recently been having high blood pressure, so her doctor put her on 5mg tablets a day. She monitors her own BP, and as it wasn't improving the Dr told her to take 2 of the 5mg tablets, and she then got stabilised.

When she got her next scrip, she continued taking the 2 tablets for a week, but was getting swollen ankles and breathing difficulties. After a week, she realised that her Dr had prescribed 10mg tabs, so she should only take one (she said they looked just the same and didn't realise).

She rang 111 and was told to go straight to A and E and she should call an ambulance (it was now about midnight).

At the hospital, she had to go through various procedures, and was told that she was lucky that the overdose had not been fatal. She has still not fully recovered, and her Dr has been phoning her a few times a day to check up on her (probably feels guilty).

As she said, she could very easily have died, completely out of the blue, if she hadn't gone to the hospital when she did.
I worked with a lady that had high blood pressure and had just collected her new prescription. Whilst at lunch she was idly reading the indications leaflet and realised that the Dr had prescribed medication for low blood pressure! I dread to think about the consequences if she hadn't noticed.

About 16/7 years ago I was at the GP's being prescribed something and a warning sound came from the computer that told the GP to check my current meds.

He seemed surprised but did look then commented he'd have to try something else as they weren't compatible.

It's never happened since so either I've been lucky or they turned the volume down. Has anyone else had this happen?

Alter, my grandads too were coal miners in Yorkshire and like yours both suffered with pneumoconiosis (coal dust on the lungs) which shortened their lives, and at a time when they had to pay a shilling to see the doctor - no NHS then. Not such an attractive place at that time for migrants to come !!!!! So yes, in this short time of 100 years past we have gone from that REAL poverty way of living to those who are now 'desperate' to get away for a holiday abroad.

About 4 years ago I developed an itch. I must have been scratching in the night as my stomach had ****** scratches in the morning. Mentioned to a friend, it was a bank holiday that Monday, she told me to phone the after hours doctor. I said it's an itch! But I did and the doctor told me to get to my own doctor first thing Tuesday. So I wandered down to the surgery to make an appointment for bloods, I was surprised they took me straight away.

A few days later got a call to come to the surgery asap. Seems my liver had gone nuts. So of course the usual how much do you drink? My doctor so disappointed when I told him. Turns out it was the statins I was on were wrecking my liver. I had to go for blood tests every 6 weeks for ages and my liver was very slow to go back to normal. And I was not drinking alcohol at all during this. Now the problem is due to family history I need to be on statins. So after a year I was put on a very low dose, and it went okay so a slight higher dose. Every so often I will get a phone call about my statins and how they want to put me on a higher dose and or a different one. When I mention my liver, its oh we can't.

As we have veered off course slightly I thought that I would mention about the NHS sharing your records from September 1st.
I have printed off a consent form from a link on The Mirror this morning and popped it into our Drs.
On the form you have the option to opt out, which we have done.
I would rather not wait for the surgery to contact us as they are not known for their efficiency.

This is only happening in England. I tried to fill in the online form, and it did not recognize my NHS number or my post code, so I looked further into it and only England.

There was a version which had to be completed in June, but you have to print out your objections. I think that is the one which has been pulled?

There was a TV doctor on, and he wanted to opt out and openly said they made it so complicated even he had trouble not everyone has a printer or access to one for a start.

This is only happening in England. I tried to fill in the online form, and it did not recognize my NHS number or my post code, so I looked further into it and only England.

There was a version which had to be completed in June, but you have to print out your objections. I think that is the one which has been pulled?

There was a TV doctor on, and he wanted to opt out and openly said they made it so complicated even he had trouble not everyone has a printer or access to one for a start.
Yes apparently it has been delayed from June.
Apologies I didn't know that it is only England. I wonder if it will be rolled out for all eventually?

Yes apparently it has been delayed from June.
Apologies I didn't know that it is only England. I wonder if it will be rolled out for all eventually?
It's totally devolved, and lots of legal ramifications due to GDPR, so possibly not, unless the data is on the same platform for all 4 nations.

Apparently all information will be confidential but I don’t trust that “promise.” I’m going to ring my doctor to ask if they can opt me out or will complete an online form and take it in to them.

My medical records are actually very boring and there aren’t many entries but, as I’m ex-directory and have opted out of my details being available via the electoral roll, I might as well go for the hat trick.

Honestly ? if anyone wants to sift through my details of my 72 year old bodily functions then there welcome to it. If I was much younger I probably would object, but I'm not that bothered now.

As it is we're spied on everywhere. M & S know every time I visit and what I buy. The internet tracks and traces the sites we visit and what we purchase, not forgetting that our movements are tracked via our iPhones.

Then how many are on social media ? who are aware when you go on holiday, the number of members in your family and their ages, in fact all aspects of your life which is out there forever, all information supplied by yourselves. So much for confidentiality.

That's a great idea, Twi. I wonder if we could have a check-in thread?
Alter your idea struck a cord with me. There have been several posts lately about QVC items where other members have suggested alternatives. Usually Shopperholic comes up with great suggestions- I bought some jeans from Aldi which ended up being prefered to some of mine ten times the price, also IW. I noticed there were no posts and a few days ago looked up members and the last log on to forum was end April. I hope all is well and she has just been catching up with friends and family as lockdown has been eased. 🤔

Alter your idea struck a cord with me. There have been several posts lately about QVC items where other members have suggested alternatives. Usually Shopperholic comes up with great suggestions- I bought some jeans from Aldi which ended up being prefered to some of mine ten times the price, also IW. I noticed there were no posts and a few days ago looked up members and the last log on to forum was end April. I hope all is well and she has just been catching up with friends and family as lockdown has been eased. 🤔
Shopperholic and a few others have stepped away from shoppingtelly it seems. They may return in the future?

About 4 years ago I developed an itch. I must have been scratching in the night as my stomach had ****** scratches in the morning. Mentioned to a friend, it was a bank holiday that Monday, she told me to phone the after hours doctor. I said it's an itch! But I did and the doctor told me to get to my own doctor first thing Tuesday. So I wandered down to the surgery to make an appointment for bloods, I was surprised they took me straight away.

A few days later got a call to come to the surgery asap. Seems my liver had gone nuts. So of course the usual how much do you drink? My doctor so disappointed when I told him. Turns out it was the statins I was on were wrecking my liver. I had to go for blood tests every 6 weeks for ages and my liver was very slow to go back to normal. And I was not drinking alcohol at all during this. Now the problem is due to family history I need to be on statins. So after a year I was put on a very low dose, and it went okay so a slight higher dose. Every so often I will get a phone call about my statins and how they want to put me on a higher dose and or a different one. When I mention my liver, its oh we can't.

My friend is a regular chapel-goer, drives everywhere (we all live in the middle of nowhere) and has "alcoholic" on her records.

She drinks a glass only on very special occasions and even then will prefer a glass of Schloer to toast. I can count on one hand the number of alcoholic drinks she's had since I've known her from the age of 21.

So why the "alcoholic" label? She had itching like you. It turned out to be caused by Methotrexate prescribed by her doctors damaging her liver. She's asked for her records to be updated but apparently, they can't do that so the first thing med professionals see (and judge her on) is her so-called alcoholism.

I've had a similar situation with my records as I attended hospital on a Saturday night (stone-cold sober as I'd been driving) where my step-sister glassing me was recorded as an "alcohol-related incident" (my step-sister was also sober. Lovely woman. NOT!

I was told my records can't be changed even though the police attending told the hospital I hadn't been drinking. However, after having a copy of my records and complaining because I had the notes of at least three other local people in them, they CAN remove THOSE entries.

I wouldn't be particularly concerned about my records as long as they remain mine and don't get mixed in with any Tom, Dick or Harry's.

If you can afford it, it's worth getting a copy before you lose the chance to opt out.

They call Stains the silent Killer. Your brain is over 60% cholesterol. You start deleting this essential component of your body at your peril and for big pharmas profit.

I'm not up on these matters, but I thought the LGBTG month was June ! so I have just spotted a plea in the corner of the screen while the Kipling show is on, to 'support' the switchboard of the LGBGT. I'm not wishing to be disingenuous to any charity, but I'm getting fed up of all this begging for a particular cause.

I also hate how you're made to feel 'awful' if you don't want to participate in any of these gestures, or at worse a racist or bigot. If a variety of causes or charities were represented, fair enough, but they aren't, and I just wonder how long this will be going on for.

Ah, yes. The plus.

What really bugs me is how more letters were tagged on to what originally started as a sexuality cause. It's a cause close to my heart as I have gay friends who are still being discriminated against (at least they're no longer jailed for their sexual preferences). We had a lovely man come to our family business for years. A lovely man who never forgot any of our birthdays and genuinely cared. He looked after his widowed mother but his life was destroyed when he was caught in toilets by undercover police. His name was reported in the local rag which then also destroyed his mum's life. He also lost his job. This was in the early 80s. Not so long ago. If he'd been cruising for a woman instead of another man it would have been acceptable.

How have the extra letters been tagged on is what I'd like to know. So-called genders are a choice these days. Gender and sex are being very, very confused these days and it's muddying waters - but that's a long story. Sexuality is generally not a choice. For most people they're either straight or gay - that's their makeup and they can't deny it.

Stonewall used to be THE LGB charity but since the extra letters were added they seem more focused on those. I particularly don't like their use of bullying, er, lobbying as well as entering primary schools by telling them they don't have the right to refuse (they legally still do). I'd rather support the charities that support the true cause, not a bumper crop of them.

So, no, QVC. I won't be buying anything to do with Pride (especially since lesbians are being bullied and even attacked during Pride events. Not by people who hate gays but by people who hate women - another long story).

With you all the way, Brissles.

Such a sad story Alter 😞

The Q stands for Queer (or, sometimes Questionable!) which to me harks back to years ago when it was used in a not very nice way 😕

People can be what they want to be but do we need all these labels?

Latest posts

Back