OH, Pleeeeease !

ShoppingTelly

Help Support ShoppingTelly:

I’ve absolutely no idea because I didn’t “pen” the name. Maybe because the start of Kabler sounds like the start of cabbage? I’m probably wrong anyway.

For the record, Jackie is one presenter that I don’t mind watching.

I gather the Queen's nickname from Phil was 'cabbage'. Some people get called 'sausage' in the same way. Little girls get called 'princess', I've known others be known as 'treacle'. My Dad called me Tish for as long as he was alive - God knows where that came from, but I always responded to it throughout my life.

I gather the Queen's nickname from Phil was 'cabbage'. Some people get called 'sausage' in the same way. Little girls get called 'princess', I've known others be known as 'treacle'. My Dad called me Tish for as long as he was alive - God knows where that came from, but I always responded to it throughout my life.
I think it was Chloe that started calling her Jackie Cabbage.

And so many of the discussions are about 'feeling hot,' and everlasting moaning about 'poor us.' This will be an unpopular comment, maybe, but I say, "Get on with it."
My granny, aunts and mum never did the 'Oh poor me!!' I was so glad of when I started mine because of years of heavy periods.

My mother gave me a pamphlet to read all about periods,it was hidden in a brown paper bag. I sobbed and sobbed from the trauma😭 When I did start she gave me an elasticated belt and the large pads with the loops to wear😲 Scarred for life me!
What an awful experience, particularly the pamphlet in a brown paper bag, suggesting it needs to be hidden. I avoided the belt with loops and got press on ones but mum did mutter something about them, she wasn't comfortable talking to me about it. I never had children but I hope I would have been more open and honest if I'd had a daughter.

My mum did take me to the doctors to see if a D&C would help with my very painful, heavy, periods... but what I suffered was nothing compared to friends who were never diagnosed but I think had endometriosis. Incapacitated by pain, vomiting and utterly miserable... some of them told they would be infertile, quite brutally, at that.
All aspects of women's health should be taken more seriously. When women report pain, they are not taken as seriously as a man reporting pain.
Goodness knows what it will be like in the future now the lunatics have taken over the asylum and decided to conflate sex and gender.
Everyone who was born of the male sex should be made aware of health conditions affecting males, even if their gender has changed. Same for those born female. Rather than tying themselves in knots trying to use inclusive language that negates sex and characteristics of that sex, and cloaks it all in nonsense phrases.
Equally, if the hormones people take to support their chosen gender exposes them to other risks, that their birth sex hormones would have protected them from, that should be made clear too.
Is it so hard?

I can identify with that Mutt ! My Mum told me the basics about becoming a "woman" when I was 11 as I started to get crippling stomach pains, and as well as the 'belt' and loop pads, I was also given the waterproof pants to wear with them ! ........ they rustled when I walked :rolleyes: 😂 dear God. Mind you, I really didn't want to hear the mechanics of the sex act, so I was spared that. Mum told me not to get too close to boys, and I was always to "sit on it". Typical Northern advice that was.

I remember at that age my Mum was giving birth upstairs to my brother, I was watching tv and Dad was reading the paper (yes, really), while all the action was going on upstairs. Suddenly Dad decided to get serious, and said to me "do you know how babies are created ?" - of course I hadn't a ****** clue, but to get out of the questioning I said "yes", to which he replied "oh, good". End of conversation.
OMG, I'm trying not to laugh! Love the "sit on it" advice. I got no advice on sex from my mum, the school told us (that was fun🤔). Didn't experience mum giving birth as I'm the youngest of 2, and was absolutely never aware of my parents having sex. Love the conversation with your dad! I wouldn't want to be young today but at least things should be a lot easier for girls. At least they have the internet to access information.

Oh, the belt loops and waterproof pants, so sweaty in the summer. Dirty pads I had hid then bring down, and my mum put them on the fire to burn. There was a wool shop at the bottom of my street, and I was sent there to buy pads. Of course women in buying wool and trying to make sure you were served last and plain brown paper bag carrying it home.

My first period, I had no idea what was happening, I had a ****** mark on my leg, and I was in school. One of the girls said you have blood on your leg and I just went, I must have cut myself. Then going home to my granny at lunchtime, who ripped up an old vest to tide me over that day. I was turning 11, and I do remember having to go to the doctor with my granny, who told the doctor I had started my periods. He wasn't interested. I remember asking my mum and granny will it just go away, thinking it was a one time thing? A one time think of 40+ years.

Oh, the belt loops and waterproof pants, so sweaty in the summer. Dirty pads I had hid then bring down, and my mum put them on the fire to burn. There was a wool shop at the bottom of my street, and I was sent there to buy pads. Of course women in buying wool and trying to make sure you were served last and plain brown paper bag carrying it home.

My first period, I had no idea what was happening, I had a ****** mark on my leg, and I was in school. One of the girls said you have blood on your leg and I just went, I must have cut myself. Then going home to my granny at lunchtime, who ripped up an old vest to tide me over that day. I was turning 11, and I do remember having to go to the doctor with my granny, who told the doctor I had started my periods. He wasn't interested. I remember asking my mum and granny will it just go away, thinking it was a one time thing? A one time think of 40+ years.
Img this has brought back painfully embarrassing times for me young teens when my dad used to say I’m having a bonfire have you got anything to burn we all new what but nobody ever mentioned it and aged 14 I had to fetch my own dr whites which the old man shopkeeper wrapped in newspaper 😢

My mother managed to explain periods to me without linking it any way to sex or “human reproduction” as we were taught at school. The only thing she got right was telling me early, because my periods started when I was 10. Great! I too was given some obscure book, but it wasn’t that one about some kind of insect that used to be in circulation.

Dr White’s! There’s a blast from the past.

I worked in our local chemist shop when I left school in 1966. Dr. Whites (number 1,2, and 3) and Kotex were kept on the top shelf above the baby products. There were also sanitary pants with a pocketed gusset in which you could secure loopless pads. Needless to say, they were not very secure! Press on pads and panty liners were yet to be invented.

My mother managed to explain periods to me without linking it any way to sex or “human reproduction” as we were taught at school. The only thing she got right was telling me early, because my periods started when I was 10. Great! I too was given some obscure book, but it wasn’t that one about some kind of insect that used to be in circulation.

Dr White’s! There’s a blast from the past.
I remember coming home from the corner shop with my dr whites wrapped up and a boy from school shouted gis a chip 🤣 I was mortified at the time

I worked in our local chemist shop when I left school in 1966. Dr. Whites (number 1,2, and 3) and Kotex were kept on the top shelf above the baby products. There were also sanitary pants with a pocketed gusset in which you could secure loopless pads. Needless to say, they were not very secure! Press on pads and panty liners were yet to be invented.
What a great invention they were!

Img this has brought back painfully embarrassing times for me young teens when my dad used to say I’m having a bonfire have you got anything to burn we all new what but nobody ever mentioned it and aged 14 I had to fetch my own dr whites which the old man shopkeeper wrapped in newspaper 😢
Could these irems havebeen wrapped in loo roll/newspaper & put in the dustbin (by you to avoid embarrassment?)

Omg, I am having a flashback. Sanitary pad waxing!

I gave up doing anything more than a trim some time ago so still get caught out with a sticky hair yank from the sides occasionally.

I started my periods when I was 8. I had no idea what was happening and tried hiding my pants as I was both scared and inexplicably embarrassed. I had no idea why I thought it was shameful, just that I did. The penny finally dropped for my mum when I had a flood that was pointed out by my friends who thought I'd somehow cut myself and was dying! She left it to my older sister to tell me so I had the barest of bones explanation.

They were an absolute nightmare for me. I had to cope with the string belt variety for the first few years which was bad enough. My mum assured me my female teacher was aware but I begged her not to tell our male headmaster out of embarrassment. That became a big problem for me when swimming lessons started. It was okay when my female teacher came with us but I so vividly remember the day I started on the bus on the way to the pool and the male head was with us. I refused to come out of the changing room as I was horrified at the thought of turning the pool water red! The head marched into the changing room, grabbed me and pushed me against the wall then started shouting in my face. I was terrified but still refused to go out at which point he punched me and then stomped out. I'd also refused to tell him why.

I told my mum when I got home as she wanted to know why my swimsuit wasn't wet. She was furious as it turned out he had been made aware of my situation. The last few years of Primary being the only girl having periods was pretty ****** miserable. No girl should have to go through that with the feeling of shame made worse by an adult ever.

Latest posts

Back